Heavy Breathing and Harsher Recoil

AKs don’t have a particularly high caliber, certainly not the ones chambered in 5.45×39 mm, not that caliber (the diameter of the bullet) directly affects recoil.

bro im for real just saying make the ak have more recoil, aight? also the majority of them use 7.62x39, 5.45x39 is for 74s, not 47s. Currently if you add a vert grip and a muzzle break to a zubeknakov, you have virtually no recoil and can full auto someone from 100+ meters away. I simply think that the ak should have more recoil than the glock.

1 Like

An AK is heavier, and held more securely than a glock, so it would have less felt recoil and muzzle climb.

and it also has a bigger round. AKs (in 7.62x39) are notorious for having a pretty harsh kick. though pistols in general do tend to have quite a bit of muzzle rise even compared to rifles simply due to the nature of the platform.

as for the OP, i like the idea of some guns having harsher recoil. obviously something like an AR15 platform gun would have pretty smooth recoil, while maybe an M14 or even AKM would have a pretty harsh jump.

2 Likes

That’s bull. An AK firing a 7.62 round is going to have infinitely more felt recoil over a Glock. Not only is it firing a much harder round, but think about the first fucking law of gravity. Equal and opposite reaction. Therefore all the weight in that stock is gonna kick back right into your shoulder, every time you fire your gun. That glock will do the same to your hand, but far less. It weighs less and fires a much smaller round overall.

Muzzle climb also would be higher due to each round being ultimately bigger. The weight difference really doesn’t cancel that out. Practically the only way you’re gonna make an AK have less recoil/felt recoil is by welding it to the ground, or converting it to fire a lower caliber such as 9mm or .22lr.

There’s a very good reason why the Russians decided to go with a much smaller bullet, with less power behind it.

How about a semi .22 pistol vs a .357 (both I’ve fired). You wanna tell me the .357 has less felt recoil and muzzle climb because it weighs more than the .22 pistol?
Cause believe me, it doesn’t.

1 Like

The more mass an object has, the less energy it takes to accelerate. Imagine you were trying to push a boulder into someone, it would move so little they wouldn’t feel it. Now imagine you’re trying to throw a stone at someone, you could seriously injure them.
Hence the adage “if the gun is as light as the bullet, it’s gonna hurt as much on both ends.”
My problem isn’t that an AK doesn’t have recoil, just that not all of that recoil is muzzle flip. I wrote felt recoil before because I am an idiot.

Imagine the SKS as an AK and a P95 as a Glock.

I’ve personally fired both a SKS chambered in 7.62x39 and a Ruger P95 chambered in 9mm. The SKS weighs over 8 pounds and the P95 weighs less than 2 pounds, by the way. The kick that comes from the SKS would be enough to make your arm sore the next morning, while the P95 has hardly any; however, when shooting the P95, the muzzle rises more than the SKS because it is lighter, and unlike the SKS, has one place to hold, making that spot a pivot point for it to rotate around. The thing is, even though the muzzle rises more, it is very light and easy to maneuver, so it comes back down very quickly. The recoil only has an action on the gun itself, it does not blow you back or cause your hands to rise. The SKS is heavier and not as easy to move it wherever you want it, as well as actually having a good amount of kick. This causes you to actually be blown back some, and the gun rising along with your hands and body some. In conclusion, while the muzzle of the Glock might be affected more than the AK, the AK affects your body more, making you “look up” as you would in game when shooting.

1 Like

How much recoil will be ‘Enough’?
Here is my solution

Imagine you were trying to push a boulder into someone, it would move so little they wouldn’t feel it. Now imagine you’re trying to throw a stone at someone, you could seriously injure them.

ah, i see someone who hasn’t learned about momentum yet.

a very big object with a small amount of velocity can have the same force as, or an even greater force then, a very small object with a very large amount of velocity. this is basically because momentum is equal to mass times velocity, which is also equal to the object’s net force times delta time. the real determining factor is the time in this regard.

this has been useless physics lessons with whistleblower the ■■■■■■■

1 Like

What time? The cyclic rate? The time it takes the bullet to leave the barrel?

…time is…how long the object is moving for…why would you even think it’d be the cyclic rate or the time it takes for the round to leave the barrel? it’s a basic law of physics.

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out how you figure out the value of time as it relates to guns, since apparently it is the most important factor.

it’s a basic law of physics. it is exactly the same for guns. why would you think otherwise?

1 Like

For the third time, how do I find the value for time

how long the object is moving for

How do you think you find it? Hm? It’s pretty simple. I’ll tell you that.

1 Like

How do you tell how long a specific cartridge will move a specific gun for?

oh my god, are you actually serious? that’s-that’s not even-

delta time in this instance is HOW LONG THE OBJECT IS MOVING FOR. HOW LONG DOES THE BULLET MOVE FOR?

1 Like

I thought we were talking about the movement of the gun, not the bullet, since this whole conversation had been about recoil.

you know what? fine. alright then. total momentum, let’s go.

total momentum is basically the momentum of every object involved in a situation added together. in this case, that would only be two objects - the gun, which we’ll say is 4 KG, and the round, which we’ll say is 0.01 KG. due to conservation of momentum, no matter what we do to these objects, as long as no other factors come into or out of play, the momentum will always be the same.

since momentum is mass times velocity, and neither of the objects are moving, the first state of momentum is equal to zero, which means the second state also has to equal zero. this goes back to “every force has an equal and opposite reaction”. let’s say the round flies out of the barrel at 500 meters per second. 0.01*500 is 5, so the round’s momentum is 5 Ns (or 5 KG m/s. i’ll use Ns because it’s shorter. units are weird.). This means that the weapon’s momentum is 5 Ns in the opposite direction. after some fiddling this means that the gun’s velocity is 1.25 m/s (in the opposite direction of the bullet of course), but we already have the weapon’s momentum so we don’t need it.

now, how long does that last? well…we’d need to find the net force. and i’m not doing that. so. basically it’s kind of complicated and tedious, but it’d be really easy for a computer to do. but then there’s muzzle rise and a whole bunch of stuff.

tl;dr: we probably shouldn’t use actual laws of physics to simulate something as basic as weapon recoil. this isn’t VR. we don’t exactly need to do that.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.