Heavy Breathing and Harsher Recoil

I thought we were talking about the movement of the gun, not the bullet, since this whole conversation had been about recoil.

you know what? fine. alright then. total momentum, let’s go.

total momentum is basically the momentum of every object involved in a situation added together. in this case, that would only be two objects - the gun, which we’ll say is 4 KG, and the round, which we’ll say is 0.01 KG. due to conservation of momentum, no matter what we do to these objects, as long as no other factors come into or out of play, the momentum will always be the same.

since momentum is mass times velocity, and neither of the objects are moving, the first state of momentum is equal to zero, which means the second state also has to equal zero. this goes back to “every force has an equal and opposite reaction”. let’s say the round flies out of the barrel at 500 meters per second. 0.01*500 is 5, so the round’s momentum is 5 Ns (or 5 KG m/s. i’ll use Ns because it’s shorter. units are weird.). This means that the weapon’s momentum is 5 Ns in the opposite direction. after some fiddling this means that the gun’s velocity is 1.25 m/s (in the opposite direction of the bullet of course), but we already have the weapon’s momentum so we don’t need it.

now, how long does that last? well…we’d need to find the net force. and i’m not doing that. so. basically it’s kind of complicated and tedious, but it’d be really easy for a computer to do. but then there’s muzzle rise and a whole bunch of stuff.

tl;dr: we probably shouldn’t use actual laws of physics to simulate something as basic as weapon recoil. this isn’t VR. we don’t exactly need to do that.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.