How do you guys think Staff on Official Servers should be decided?

What would staff on servers do? Just make sure there are no hackers, glitchers, or scammers?

I personally think on Official-Servers there should be 3 tiers of staff.
Tier 1 should be purely chat-mods who have permission to temp-mute, and other similar permissions. Their job is to keep the chat clear and answer questions/help players. These guys should be voted for on the official discord/forums and should have some requirements for applying.
Tier 2 should be staff who have permissions to kick, ban, slay, etc but no permissions to use cheats (shouldn’t be that hard to implement in to U4). These guy have very strict requirements, must have been Tier 1 for a year, voted for and trusted by the community (etc). Basically everything that’s been previously mentioned on this thread.
Tier 3 should be Admins/Managers who either Administrate the server and fill the remaining gaps, or Manage existing staff and players. These guys should be existing, trusted staff who are hired by SDG.

There shouldn’t be any staff. It’s just not worth the additional problems it comes with. Rust has official servers but no admins and they’re fine.

1 Like

As someone who’s been along with Rust since before the days Unturned 2.0 was publicly available, I can positively tell you right now that Rust’s official servers have always had, and still do have a high volume of hackers. It’s a prominent issue (though it used to be much, much more severe) and also a strong reason a lot of players gravitate towards community servers.

“Fine” is subjective, but every game will find their own solution to this problem, as every game provides a different gameplay environment and has a different community.

NOTE: Just to establish a distinction here if anyone decides to further discuss this point, a reminder that Rust is a paid game with free official server access, while UII will supposedly be the reverse.

4 Likes

NOTE: Just to establish a distinction here if anyone decides to further discuss this point, a reminder that Rust is a paid game with free official server access, while UII will supposedly be the reverse.

Then I seriously doubt most hackers will buy the official server gamepass in that case if they can just go on populated un-official servers.

1 Like

That is one assumption, however hackers in premium servers still exist. Take CSGO Prime for example.

1 Like

Hey, at this point, we should promote hackers to go join the trashy servers. I get that hackers really dont care what server they play on, usually just the most popular, or the one they main for competitive advantage, but like seriously. I find good servers that are just fine, no abuse, no pay to win, and hackers show up to ruin the fun.

However, @Raieus is of course right.

Also, fun fact I just remembered. Dota 2 released hack reports, claiming that hackers made on average 7.2 alt accounts to circumvent bans on their game.

Csgo prime has very small amount of hackers. I haven’t seen them for half a year. While in non-prime there’s at least 2 hackers in each match.

But if you have vac + two anti cheats it’s not three because vac is just a blacklister.

Hackers will always exist. The main objective is to limit it as much as possible so there isn’t a hacker in every server.

And I’ve not seen a hacker in Prime ever since the F2P update (the first week or two of that was complete cancer with hackers). And it’s not like I have a good trust factor either.

2 Likes

That’s exactly why I say VAC will be shit for Unturned. It works somewhat well for CS:GO because they are literally developed by Valve and likely have an entire team of people that work specifically on blacklisting for VAC. Unless Nelson gets people to volunteer to help blacklist cheats (which is such an outdated way of preventing hacks because most premium cheats circumvent this by providing every customer with a “different” copy of the hack so it basically becomes impossible to prevent hackers at all now with VAC) then VAC will be pointless.

VAC at best can only be used to get the stupid people who get free hacks, which can be blacklisted as soon as Nelson/volunteers find out they exist. But paid hacks circumvent VAC like it’s nothing.

1 Like

Yes, and here’s where the difference begins.

Unturned II has no Trust Factor, and premium server access will most likely cost less than CSGO Prime.

While premium servers are a way to limit hackers, it relies on anti-cheat and, if ever, server moderators for it.

You’ve only proved my point there are hackers in premium.

@ForeverBlue Unofficial Community Reminder

They are pretty common, even in prime.
Mainly because you can get prime for free, and if you hack and do well, you’d get more xp, getting you to level 21 faster.

Personally haven’t saw them for a really long time, but even If they exist in prime, they usually get banned after some days by overwatch.

But the “premium servers” are different.

Playing “premium CS:GO” (prime) is essentially free as anyone who had CS:GO before 6 months ago gets it for free. If you are level 21 it is free as well. So that’s a major reason why there are hackers in Prime. You also no longer need a phone number for prime, meaning prime is literally just to make sure you don’t get matched with new accounts, not hackers.

The Premium that II talks about is completely different - a neutral server with no staff members so there isn’t abuse, and 100% vanilla servers. What reason is there for a hacker to spend money to go hack official servers when they can just go on non-official servers that are essentially exactly the same?

Obviously that won’t stop hackers. But then again, do you think many hackers will be in official servers with that in mind? There’ll be some, but not enough to be worried about.

You’ve only proved my point there are hackers in premium.

There are hackers in any game no matter what. CS:GO Prime is literally free though.

While yes you can get Prime at level 21, that is entirely besides the point. Were not talking about CSGO here. xd
I dubbed CSGO Prime as an example simply because the existence of Trust Factor system and an optional paywall. Trust Factor being the hardest to bypass but still is bypassed.

EDIT again: No. Trust Factor is not limited to Prime. It exists in all official matchmaking.

The discussion revolves around the use of moderators or not. That is your opinion on this matter.

I can assume plenty of reasons - clan rivalry, server domination, ranking, etc…
These are however assumptions. And these assumptions come from my experience in playing games.

I am partial on this claim.

I agree.

Which is why server moderators are a critical part of this discussion.

1 Like

I think that all moderators should be fair, mature, non-corrupt, trusted, reliable, non-abusive and considerate people, selected by either experienced/trusted community members/moderators or maybe even Nelson himself.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.