Independent Analog Movement Speed

EDIT - I’m actually just dumb and this mechanic is already in-game, though my suggestion takes a few deviations from what we already have. Thanks @MoltonMontro

Introduction

So, as you all probably know, analog movement was finally implemented in Devlog #028 to v4.19.11.0.

While the system feels fairly nice, there is one way I can immediately think of improving it - adding an analog scale independent of the analog stance scale, but specific to movement speed.

Wait, so what does that jargon even mean?

If you’ve played or watched Escape From Tarkov, you’re halfway there and you know exactly what I’m talking about. In EFT, you can set your analog stance just like in UII to very precisely finetune how high you want to peek above cover. However, completely separate from this is the ability to control how fast you move, which is singlehandedly the biggest impact on how much sound you produce while moving around. And in EFT, stealth and sound design is a huge aspect of the game.

A mildly outdated image from EFT of how it has been executed in the game's UI, for extra context

For instance, this gives you the ability to be standing at full height but also moving at just 10% of your normal speed in order to be more stealthy. This allows more control, for instance if you are trying to maintain a sightline above high cover while still remaining quiet, without having to switch between lower and higher stances continually.

So how would we go about implementing this?

In UII, this could be implemented as a multiplier applied to existing movement speeds, and could be done via holding Shift and using the scroll wheel, just like how analog stance is controlled via Ctrl and scroll wheel. This not only allows for it to be used for every possible stance with ease, but also a number that servers can individually configure and tweak. There can be as many increments as Nelson feels is necessary, but I’d say ten increments is a sufficient amount, ranging from absolute minimum to full speed. This would of course be entirely independent from sprinting.

• I like this
  • I don’t like this
  • I could like this, but…
  • Null option

0 voters

10 Likes

hi this is done via holding Caps-Lock right now and ranges from Sneak (absolute slowest, which is like C by default iirc) to Sprint (Shift by default)

You make the least amount of noise if you sneak while prone, and the most while sprinting at full height. Sprinting while prone is much louder than sneaking.

The main difference between the suggestion and the implementation is that “sprinting” is a part of the fine-tuning, but sprinting can actually be slightly slower/faster if adjusted enough.

EDIT: and there’s no visual UI indication thingy either, thanks to the KingFrog below for reminding me of the other suggestion above

6 Likes

I was gonna say, “didnt this already get added”? A visual bar would be nice though.

4 Likes

The only criticism I have of this system is that there’s a huge loss here by not implementing a similar system with leaning (i.e holding Q and scrolling).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.