Inventory, Crafting, and Stuff

Edit: Just reread Devlog 6 and realized some of this is basically in 4.X already. Sorry, for stealing Nelson’s idea and making people hate it. Completely reworked this post the criticisms below were probably justified)

Weight, Size, Attachments, and Crafting

• The inventory should be divided into more smaller slots.

• The slots an item takes up should follow the contours of the item and its attachments.

• Items should have weight and point of balance.
    -The weight and point of balance of items should be affected by the weight, point of balance, and location of their attachments.
    –Top heavy and overall heavy melee weapons should do more damage but be slower and require more stamina.
    –Conversely, grip heavy and overall light melee weapons should do less damage, but be faster and not use stamina up as quickly.
    –Muzzle heavy and overall heavy guns should have reduced recoil, but other handling aspects impaired.

• Attachments should be able to be dragged and dropped onto items to attach to them.

• Because attachments would impact size and shape of weapons are impacted by attachments, some slots are specifically taken up by attachments that are attached. If holding (for example) Fn while clicking and dragging from one of those slots it moves just the attachment, not the whole item.

• Part of crafting could use the above mechanics, but with attaching materials to eachother in specific shapes.

• Another part of crafting could be clicking and dragging tools to materials and pressing a key, with results varying based on how the materials are attached.

• The final portion of crafting would be crafting stations. When materials are placed in a crafting station, they can be crafted using different tools, can create more at a time, and/or can be crafted into something different.

Holstering system (partially implemented)

• Primary and Secondary slots are being replaced by “holstering” (see Devlog 6)
    -Items in holsters are visible on the player model

• All quick slots should be replaced by holstering system
    (from here on I will call “holsters” pockets, to differentiate holsters specifically for guns.)

• Different articles of clothing should have pockets that can hold items of different size, shape, and weight.

• The time it takes to equip an item should be made up of unholster speed and then deploy speed.
    -Unholstering speed would be chiefly defined by what the item is stored in, and affect all items being equipped. Unholstering speed would impact the time it takes to equip an item.
    -Deploy speed would vary by item, and would primarily be applied to guns. Deploy speed would add a delay after unholstering.

• Different articles of clothing should have different inventory sizes, shapes, and weights, and different pocket numbers, sizes, shapes, and weights.

2 Likes

Sorry for that, now it’s actually, more or less, finished.

Kinda confused as to why you used unbolded hyphens rather than bullet points or new paragraphs for stuff. :confused:

I guess I’d be fine with that.

I’ve learned that nobody wants to play Tetris with the inventory, even though if inventories were 100% three-dimensional that’d be fun imho. (Anyways, this means I disagree.)

This is fine by me, but I also don’t really care if weight ends up not being added either.

I don’t think features that’d encourage meleeing with guns should exist. I think a generic butt stock -type of strike is fine, and then you have your potential bayonet. Aside from that, I’d say melee weapons should be the main melee weapons.

Now, I’m sure in the future when hitting people with the butt of the gun is possible it’d also be possible for certain attachments to buff its damage anyways, so… :man_shrugging: Maybe just leave it to stocks components, and not hit people with anything other than the butt of the gun.

Assuming you mean to have hot-keys to begin with: kinda meh about that. :man_shrugging:

Assuming you mean addition hot-keys besides the standard 0-9: I’ve supported this as a buff to Unturned 3’s Spec Ops Rucksack (as a radial menu for more “hot-keyed” items besides the initial handful) so I support it here. Although, those clothing quick-slots would need to be hot-keyed themselves to something 0-9. That way, more than one clothing type can make use of it. Reading on, I’m getting the feeling it’s not this though.

I mean, I don’t object to someone wanting to hold 10 non-weapons, but I’d also prefer if non-weapons didn’t automatically take up the 1 and 2 slot. I’d also prefer if people couldn’t hold ten weapons at once, even if they had the slots to.

I think I prefer 4’s current system.

“Wearable items with storage can be marked to support a certain number of featured holstered items. This is the replacement for 3’s primary and secondary weapon feature that showed on your back. In this screenshot the rifle is holstered to the rucksack and rattles around with it, but this feature will also be used for example to show pistols in a hip holster, magazines in a chest rig, or a sleeping back on top of a backpack.”

This seems weird so no. Also, worn clothing basically takes up no inventory space besides the storage you could’ve gotten, so the flamethrower should reasonably fit in a quick-slot.

Continuing off the use of a flamethrower as an example, we may as well just not let it function without a certain “sling” item equipped. Diving gear wouldn’t function without a diving tank as a “sling.” This seems better to me, and can be used for more than just one item.

I don’t disagree with it, but I’m not really asking for this either.

I’m sure plenty of people wear belts and holsters without pants, which means it’s realistically possible and should exist in game, so get out of here with your idea to restrict pantless-but-beltfull shenanigans! /s

Pretty meh about this. :man_shrugging:

Do you mean from the inventory? Because you can already do this from the inventory without equipping the gun itself in 4. If you mean without even clicking on the gun to see the ability stats and such, then I don’t see why. Doesn’t really seem like a major QoL type of thing either.

I think the whole “deattach” from no menu is just throwing me off, because that seems quite derpy. For attaching items by just being able to throw it at the gun in the inventory grid, then maybe.

:man_shrugging: I like Yarr’s suggestion for skills still.

Amen.

:man_shrugging: I mean, I’m fine with this suggestion/concept. I’m assuming this will, of course, also include the addition of “burnt” and “still very raw” food. I think making it so your cooking skill affects the quality (like Unturned 3’s quality/durability) of crafted food, rather than it always be 100%, would be a good idea. However, quality would need a rework so we don’t get -1000% immunity for a burnt steak.

Possibly, a generic and generalized quality percentage shown without inspecting the item in the inventory menu, and then an actual overview of the food’s quality when further inspected. Texture changes could too, of course, be a thing to visually show if it’s burnt or raw or “kinda alright.”

Need a proper cooking rework post because none of the current ones don’t count if Molt no openly like.

Skillsets were first added as a basic system that would eventually be expanded to encourage PvE and alliances by having special skillset-exclusive perks, but I think exclusivity would take out some of the fun and choice of the game. I also think skillsets should matter in the long-run too, as to keep every player with some kinda-unique and (more reliably consistent) defining feature.

Possibly, let someone like a chef level up their cooking skill more than any other skillset, but it only further helps the chance of them not butchering their attempts at making food. This way the bonus is still useful end-game, but technically doesn’t give something nobody else can achieve. If cooking was expanded to have items that would directly improve your chances of making decent-quality food, then the skillset wouldn’t even have that “extra bonus” as all that exclusive if it could just be recreated with slightly more effort anyways.

The only skillset that would seem a bit weird would be one focused around crafting, but it could just be made so the only skills you could overly-upgrade relate to salvaging speeds or “crafting-at-workstation” speeds. :man_shrugging:

I think it’s fair if someone of a specific skillset levels that skill up faster, and I don’t think skillsets should make you start at a higher skill.

To start, depending on how character slots work, people could just rejoin with a different skillset every few minutes to achieve maximum efficiency.

Secondly, it makes early-game quite a bit easier imo. It reminds me of spawning with loadouts in Unturned 3, and that’s pretty “ehh” to me.

If skillsets were to work with some sort of bonus at the very start, I’d rather it be nothing than starting with any skills, and then let them gain experience faster at it. I think it’d be easier to balance skillsets throughout a player’s entire “life” like that anyways.

I’d greatly prefer any sort of coherent and user-friendly crafting menu over this, unless someone makes a good visual for this that convinces me it’d be decent. This just seems like it’d be too derpy and too user-unfriendly based on the wording and how the attachments part was described, so I’d rather just not.

1 Like

That I really want bullets in Unturned to have real-life bullet velocity, really.

Nothing in this topic even relates to bullets or velocity. this isn’t a standard suggestion thread it’s for what OP put in the title.

His main language is Brazilian Portuguese

With nested storage, you can stuff most items into boxes so it all fits nice and neat, if you don’t want to do that, you can just put the biggest things in first, then stuff small things in the gaps.

I said weapons, not just guns, having a heavy muzzle would probably have the opposite effect when meleing with the butt stock.

Yeah that’s what I mean, it shouldn’t matter too much, I was thinking most all clothing would have quickslots of varying sizes shapes, and weight capacities, and that players should spawn with some, low tier clothing. I mostly thought of this because I see no point in having items in a player’s inventory being visible on the player model, if they’re not the ones a player has quick access to.

The diving tank would probably go in the backpack slot, not the sling slot, as would a flamethrower. I believe the sling slot would likely be for bandoliers, (and in this idea for holding primary weapons, which would be too large to fit into the quick slots of most any clothing item)

Yes, from the inventory. Right now it can only be done by (presumably) having the weapon equipped, or by opening the 3D inspection.
Allow me to clarify what I was thinking; attachments could be drag and dropped within the inventory onto a gun or melee weapon. Because of the finer grid, attachments impacting size, and space used reflecting an items size (and attachments) certain slots that an item takes up would be associated with certain attachments. Clicking a slot associated with an attachment, and holding, for example Alt would allow the player to move the attachment independently of what it is attached to.

(You read the part above this right, if not go read it. Why would you read out of order? Didn’t you know I might reference something I said earlier?)
Now if you’re all caught up, I’d like to describe how that could apply to crafting. Drag and drop materials together to attach them to eachother. Drag tools to materials to use the tools on the material. Do the same at a work station and you could produce more at a time. Some tools may only be effective at a work station.
Examples:

• Drag sticks together and arrange them in a ladder shape, then tape them, and you have a ladder.
  • Drag a knife to a stick and you have a sharpened stick, which could be used as a melee weapon with greater reach, but less damage and durability than the knife, or crafted with other sharpened sticks to make a spike trap.
  • Place some ammo components together in a single stage press then use a set of 9×19mm reloading dies to create a makeshift 9×19mm cartridge.
  • Place some ammo components together in a progressive press then use a set of 9×19mm reloading dies to create multiple makeshift 9×19mm cartridges.

@anon24515308, I like the idea of hidden holsters, but the quick slots kind of leave a bad taste in my mouth. Being able to have multiple things on hotkey is King of already what unturned 3 has. The only difference this would make is for you to have more than 2 weapons on hotkey. (Note, this is based on the way I understood your writing, you could mean something different)

If some idiot wants to run around with all their quickslots filled with weapons, that’s fine by me, reloading would almost always be faster than switching weapons, and most clothing wouldn’t have quickslots large enough for anything bigger than a pistol, and a large portion of clothing wouldn’t even be able to fit that much into a quickslot. I’m thinking pistols could fit in the quick slots of belts, backpacks, slings, and (possibly, and only with certain attachments) pants. Primary weapons would only be able to fit in the quick slots of slings and backpacks.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.