Item Rarity

Yeah, on top of that, uncommon items feel more rare than legendary items lol

Sooo, like in terraria?

I agree with this and @anon24515308’s suggestion to change amber to rainbow. Not much else to say, well done.

I don’t see why a Medkit would be Uncommon. I much prefer it being legendary as it shows it is the highest tier of medicine. There are some items in the game right now that should have their rarity/tier changed: the Stealy for example should be Legendary (or at least Epic) instead of Uncommon. Otherwise I prefer 3.0’s tiers.

Tiers can, yes, be deceiving. However, rarity does have a substantial impact on the power of the item. A Matamorez is objectively better than an Eaglefire in PVP combat. A desert falcon is objectively better than a 1911. Yes, most legendary weapons are very situational, but the reason they are legendary is also due to their power.

Regardless of in 3.0, however, I think we can both agree that rarity should affect overall power in 4.0. The most overall powerful weapons should be in the highest rarity tier, and thus be hardest to find. As of now, you may be right. However, in 4.0, rarity should be more important and telling of an item’s power.

I don’t believe that I stated that medkits should be uncommon. Quite frankly, I’m against them as a conventional medical item. After all, medkits are an object that stores other medical items, like bandages and whatnot. Shoving a pile of medical items into your face does not magically heal everything. I would much rather have medkits be a compartmentalized storage item with slots for things like bandages, adrenaline, etc. Said medkit may take up 2x2 slots in the inventory, but allow for the carrying of 3x3 slots of medical items using nested storage. Frankly, this is much preferable to the current system with medkits, which basically act as a bloodbag, dressing and splint simultaneously with a near instant use time.

that i can agree with, same case with an mre, however this doesn’t change the fact that medkits (and mres) should be the top tier medical/food items respectively and shouldn’t be super common (although i would not have issues with mres not only being more common but also spawning in more locations)

I agree that MREs should be a fairly high-tier item, as they would last for a long time and be fairly nourishing when combined with water. That being said, a Medkit wouldn’t so much be a medical item as it would be a storage one. There’s not a nested storage system in 3.0, so I can’t really compare it to anything, but I would prefer to handle it as a storage device, not its own medical item.

Also, MREs should not restore water. They’re dried meals, after all.

To clarify, MREs contain water. Most also contain drink mixes for said water. The water is both for your hydration, and for being heated to be used on the actual food. The heating is provided by a heating pack that is a part of the MRE.

4 Likes

Really? That’s surprising, thanks for the clarification! If that’s the case there should definitely be a short preparation time/animation for it, instead of just stuffing the whole thing into your mouth, bag, heating pack and all.

I think the consensus here that actually matters is that medkits, MREs, and other “pack-based” items should act as nested storage in UII, and if they do keep their high-tier status it’ll be through the actual contents inside.

This’ll also add another layer of variety and versatility, for instance different flavours and types of meals in MREs, and being able to individually control chances for things being found within them. Also, being able to use the containers and packaging themselves as storage.

4 Likes

I like this idea about MRE’s but since I’ve actually had MRE’s I’d like to add my two cents if you don’t mind :slight_smile:. MRE’s actually contain a huge amount of calories, up to about 1250 or so depending on the flavor, and do contain a drink mix like you said, as well as one main entree, a side entree, a carbohydrate, a fruit of some kind, and usually a dessert. The main entree and drinks (such as a coffee) do take time to heat (the entree takes 10-15 minutes for full heating) so we should have some kind of prep time, but 10-15 minutes would be kind of ridiculous (for realism’s sake :grimacing:). I like the idea of using them as storage, but I’ve genuinely tried that and they don’t hold much, or keep it in very well. The main thing you can hold with them is literally the trash that the meal creates and that’s a tight fit.
Overall, I like this rarity idea but I think we should deliberate some more about medkit’s, MRE’s and other nested storage items.

4 Likes

Honestly MRE packaging in particular should only be able to store MRE kit components, or very very small items.

This way it limits MRE packaging to what it was designed to do in the first place while still bringing the benefits of utilizing nested storage as you find one.

1 Like

IMO just make MREs use the rationing system most people are more-or-less expecting for U4, but with the different “components” of the MRE. That’d be a simpler way to handle it, although it’d be a bit rough around the edges and the rationing system would reflect that with other items because of it (unless rationing an MRE just makes you generally ration out “whatever” is left of it, with disregard to actual separate consumables that’d be realistically in it).

1 Like

The medkits could work as follows: They should be a container item type that allows you to store an “X” amount of (only) medical items, and when you use it, it will use those items that are inside it to handle what you need.
For example, I took a shot and I’m bleeding, I use medkit that inside it has a bandage and a splint, it will only use the bandage to stop the bleeding and I continue with the medkit and the splint, but without the bandage; Even if I broke the pen and I’m bleeding, I would use it again and then the splint and the bandage would be consumed and the medkit would be empty.

To make it fairer, it should have a slightly slower animation than: opening the inventory, equipping the bandage and then using it; so it would only really be helpful if you were having more than one type of injury and needed more than one medical item to heal, as in the example above the broken leg and bleeding.

It should be a legendary item. - Ah, but why? - It allows you to use more than one type of medical item at one time with an animation, which would be a little more time consuming than just using a medical item (such as bandage).

1 Like

inb4 soup cans are containers of individual noodles, meat chunks, veggie chunks, and drops of broth.

1 Like

Replace Unique/Exotic with EPIC

I like your idea, but I’m going to disagree a little. The reason that first aid kits exist in real life is that they provide an excellent storage unit for various medical items, not because they allow you to use multiple items at once. Your idea is really cool, but it just doesn’t fit the description of what a kit actually does. Also, not to be to meticulous regarding rarity, but legendary items are extremely rare and extremely powerful. In an apocalyptic scenario, finding an empty Medkit would be relatively uninteresting. Certainly, it could be useful to organize supplies, but that hardly warrants a legendary rating.

I have another idea, based on yours (Which I do indeed like, I don’t want to sound like I’m bashing). How about if you could bind a Medkit to a key, like in 3.0, but when you held it, you could press a key to open the nestled storage? This would open up a menu similar to the new gun attachments menu, and you could quickly click on one of the contained items to use it. This would be an efficient way to both store and quickly use medical items, as it would function very similar to how they do in real life. Instead of having to reach through various pouches (Having different medical items bound to different keys) you can simply open up the kit and use what you need (Having a menu with all stored items pop up). This would both free up keybind and inventory space, without being unrealistic or unbalanced.

1 Like

My idea was given to improve on gameplay, ignoring the realism a bit.

But now you have a good idea, now, medkit would still have no reason to be considered a legendary or rare item, as it does basically the same thing I suggested, but in a slightly more realistic way :thinking:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.