Item Rarity

Hello, this is my first post here, so please excuse me if I overlook an obvious detail or a clear flaw in my idea.

I’ve looked around for a while on the forums, and, to my surprise, I haven’t seen any suggestions on item rarity. Now, this is a relatively minor feature that of course will be implemented at a later date, so, as a sucker for rarity tiers, I would like to propose a rarity system for Unturned II. Now, at the moment, I am leaning more towards an item-type specific rarity, instead of a universal rarity.

What I mean by this is that rarity typically denotes power, but both a Matamorez and a medkit are of legendary rarity. However, they are not anywhere close to the same value. This, however, makes sense because the Matamorez is a “Legendary ranged weapon” while the medkit is a “Legendary Medicine”. They serve completely different purposes, and thus cannot be compared without making all single-use items of a lower tier. Essentially, even a Hawkhound has more overall uses than a couple of Medkits, so one could reasonably argue, with a universal system, that medkits should have an uncommon rarity.

Below is my idea for rarity tiers, loosely based on Terraria and Unturned 3.0’s system.

Broken/Compromised (Gray) - Weapons, foods, materials, etc that have reached under 5% quality will have this rarity. If this is too much of a pain to code, it could apply to junk that can occasionally be fished up, like in Terraria, or just could be found looting in trash cans and whatnot. These materials could eventually be melted down into more useful things, however, making them a little more than just inventory filler.

Common (White) - Some basic melee weapons and possibly the lowest tier of makeshift weapons (Such as spears, bows, slingshots, etc) have this rarity. Small snacks such as raw vegetables, candies, as well as basic medical supplies (ex.rags) will be considered common. Only stamina-powered vehicles like scooters and bicycles have a common rarity.

Uncommon (Green) - Basic civilian weapons such as .22 rifles, makeshift guns, and most bows would be in this rarity. More filling foods or raw meats (Though possibly less nutritious, should that system be added), such as cheese, eggs, etc, as well as cooked vegetables and bigger snacks such as chips are of this rarity. Things like bandages and basic over-the-counter medicines (Cough syrup, painkillers, vitamins, etc) are also uncommon. Basic structures like tents and the weakest tier of wood structures would be considered also fall into this tier. Basic vehicles, such as bicycles and motorbikes, would be in this category.

Rare (Blue) - Most pistols, as well as some rifles and shotguns, would be rare. In addition, more advanced foods and materials would also have this rarity, such as hardwood building materials, basic furniture, cooked meat, and bottled drinks and such. As for medical items, things like low-grade antibiotics and possibly splints or whatnot would be in this category. In addition, this category could house mid-tier clothing, like civil servant-grade shirts and vests (Firefighter, police, etc). Simple gas-powered vehicles such as civilian cars and motorbikes would be in this category. Simple furniture and structures made of hardwood would be rare.

Very Rare (Purple) - Low tier SMGs, low-tier semi-auto assault rifles and carbines and mid to high-tier shotguns would fall into this category. This grade of weapons would only spawn in high-risk locations, as to prevent players from getting them too early on. As for food and medical supplies, most canned foods and high-tier hospital medicines would be in this category. Vehicles in this category would mostly include better civilian vehicles, race cars, offroaders, and other non-military ground vehicles. As for structures, bricks and electric lighting would fall into this tier.

Epic (Magenta) - Most assault rifles, carbines, and sniper rifles would fall into this category. Only very satiating and long-lasting foods such as MRE bags and 4.0’s equivalent of a medkit would be epic. As for vehicles, military vehicles like trucks, AFVs and jeeps, as well as unarmed helicopters and planes would fall into this tier. For buildables, this rarity would include concrete materials and generators, as well as most machines.

Legendary (Yellow) - Exceptionally powerful weapons overall superior to their epic counterparts fall into this tier. In addition, most explosive weapons like rocket launchers and other raiding weapons are also Legendary. Vehicles with a legendary rarity would be similar to the ones in 3.0, like military helicopters, tanks, jets, and anti-air vehicles. Only the highest tier buildables, such as reinforced or composite structures and advanced industrial machines would fall into this tier.

Mythical (Red) - A tier reserved for only the rarest and most powerful items and vehicles. Guns in this tier would be very powerful, but would be difficult to use and very situational, unlike 3.0 (CoughShadowstalker Mk.II* Cough*) Vehicles in this tier would be very special, like transport planes, MLRS systems, advanced fighter jets and maybe, just maybe, bombers.

Unique/Exotic (Amber) - One of a kind items for quests or given as rewards. This rarity does not denote power, it simply means that the item in question is one-of-a-kind on a singleplayer world, as it can only be obtained through a quest, such as the Olive Hecate on France or the Shadowstalker Mk.II on Russia. (Save the railguns for the mods please, the Shadowstalkers are dope but they really don’t fit in a more survival-oriented game.)

Again, it’s obvious that an MRE is not equal to a Maplestrike, even though they are of the same rarity. However, as a food, an MRE is very effective, just as a maplestrike is very effective as a gun. Thus, as they both do their jobs well, they will both share the same rarity tier.

These rarities may feel a little D&D like, so if you don’t like them make sure to give suggestions in a reply!

Also, please notify me of any typos. I’ve been typing for quite a while now, so there may be some errors.

13 Likes

IMO rarities were never intended to reflect power or value or performance of an item, but rather, their literal rarity, gauged by their overall difficulty to obtain.

This obviously hasn’t been 100% accurate with U3 (for instance, a Stealy is labelled as uncommon but often feels much harder to find than a rare Blowtorch), but generally, this principle seems to be how Nelson actually intended rarities to be.

In general though they’re really just mostly for vanity so I personally don’t put too much thought into it, but you clearly did.

(Also, this is not bad at all for your first post!)

7 Likes

I think the grey rarity should be reserved for junk items only. I like the idea of a unique rarity, opens a nice area for such items.

A pretty good summary for item rarity standards overall.

5 Likes

Not to be a dick, but if this was your first post it would be flagged as such wouldn’t it?

1 Like

He published an earlier draft of this post, but it was closed and archived/removed.

3 Likes

Fair enough

I’d say this rarity should be something more special like Rainbow because amber would look like it fits between red and yellow rather than being a completely separate category.

btw, here's how to make text colored

red text is:
<font color="FF0000">red text</font>
“FF0000” is a code for the color red, “red text” is the text I want to appear, and <font color=...> and </font> mark the beginning and the end of the coloured text.

I meant to make a new reply about colored text, not replace my original reply, but when I went to copy-paste some text from the original I accidentally pasted it back here.

3 Likes

Tiers are very deceiving. The majority of the “Legendary” rarity weapons in the game are actually pretty bad or painfully situational. Almost all of the weapons that are widely considered the best in the game fall into the Epic and Rare category

I see what you’re going with and I understand the point of weapons tiers, but it rarely reflects how effective the weapons are. Just how rare they are to find.

3 Likes

Yeah, on top of that, uncommon items feel more rare than legendary items lol

Sooo, like in terraria?

I agree with this and @anon24515308’s suggestion to change amber to rainbow. Not much else to say, well done.

I don’t see why a Medkit would be Uncommon. I much prefer it being legendary as it shows it is the highest tier of medicine. There are some items in the game right now that should have their rarity/tier changed: the Stealy for example should be Legendary (or at least Epic) instead of Uncommon. Otherwise I prefer 3.0’s tiers.

Tiers can, yes, be deceiving. However, rarity does have a substantial impact on the power of the item. A Matamorez is objectively better than an Eaglefire in PVP combat. A desert falcon is objectively better than a 1911. Yes, most legendary weapons are very situational, but the reason they are legendary is also due to their power.

Regardless of in 3.0, however, I think we can both agree that rarity should affect overall power in 4.0. The most overall powerful weapons should be in the highest rarity tier, and thus be hardest to find. As of now, you may be right. However, in 4.0, rarity should be more important and telling of an item’s power.

I don’t believe that I stated that medkits should be uncommon. Quite frankly, I’m against them as a conventional medical item. After all, medkits are an object that stores other medical items, like bandages and whatnot. Shoving a pile of medical items into your face does not magically heal everything. I would much rather have medkits be a compartmentalized storage item with slots for things like bandages, adrenaline, etc. Said medkit may take up 2x2 slots in the inventory, but allow for the carrying of 3x3 slots of medical items using nested storage. Frankly, this is much preferable to the current system with medkits, which basically act as a bloodbag, dressing and splint simultaneously with a near instant use time.

that i can agree with, same case with an mre, however this doesn’t change the fact that medkits (and mres) should be the top tier medical/food items respectively and shouldn’t be super common (although i would not have issues with mres not only being more common but also spawning in more locations)

I agree that MREs should be a fairly high-tier item, as they would last for a long time and be fairly nourishing when combined with water. That being said, a Medkit wouldn’t so much be a medical item as it would be a storage one. There’s not a nested storage system in 3.0, so I can’t really compare it to anything, but I would prefer to handle it as a storage device, not its own medical item.

Also, MREs should not restore water. They’re dried meals, after all.

To clarify, MREs contain water. Most also contain drink mixes for said water. The water is both for your hydration, and for being heated to be used on the actual food. The heating is provided by a heating pack that is a part of the MRE.

4 Likes

Really? That’s surprising, thanks for the clarification! If that’s the case there should definitely be a short preparation time/animation for it, instead of just stuffing the whole thing into your mouth, bag, heating pack and all.

I think the consensus here that actually matters is that medkits, MREs, and other “pack-based” items should act as nested storage in UII, and if they do keep their high-tier status it’ll be through the actual contents inside.

This’ll also add another layer of variety and versatility, for instance different flavours and types of meals in MREs, and being able to individually control chances for things being found within them. Also, being able to use the containers and packaging themselves as storage.

4 Likes

I like this idea about MRE’s but since I’ve actually had MRE’s I’d like to add my two cents if you don’t mind :slight_smile:. MRE’s actually contain a huge amount of calories, up to about 1250 or so depending on the flavor, and do contain a drink mix like you said, as well as one main entree, a side entree, a carbohydrate, a fruit of some kind, and usually a dessert. The main entree and drinks (such as a coffee) do take time to heat (the entree takes 10-15 minutes for full heating) so we should have some kind of prep time, but 10-15 minutes would be kind of ridiculous (for realism’s sake :grimacing:). I like the idea of using them as storage, but I’ve genuinely tried that and they don’t hold much, or keep it in very well. The main thing you can hold with them is literally the trash that the meal creates and that’s a tight fit.
Overall, I like this rarity idea but I think we should deliberate some more about medkit’s, MRE’s and other nested storage items.

4 Likes