I've Quit Unturned 3.0

Although i have high hopes for 4.0/II, 3.0 isn’t fun to me anymore.

~97% of the servers are trash (abusive staff, P2W, cancerous/toxic community etc.)

I’ve basically done all i could do with friends, taken over a server (done it both on vanilla and creative), have most loot, vehicles and locations locked down and all in between.

Been a server moderator, hosted servers that were popular for a day.

Now these servers just make the game feel like a chore to play

if i want to chill on a creative server, >5 second cooldown on /i command and 600 second cooldown on /v, >150 ping

if i want to play on a survival server, >“KITS, FEAST, TPA, HOME”, >literally the same guns cause everyone uses the kit(s)

if i want to play the game how it was meant to be on a vanilla server, >3/24 players including me, >last wipe 2 years ago, remnants of bases everywhere and nowhere to build

Not really an RP sort of person, but if i wanted to play on an RP/Creative RP server, >“KOS, KOS, KOS”, >that one dude with the grizzly in the main city, >gunshots everywhere in the main city

And the only “solution” for you? Pay.
Ranks, “Donations” etc.
I haven’t and will not spend a dime for some rank on a server.

I strongly fear that once 4.0/II comes out, that it’ll have the same fate within 1-3 years.
People straying farther and farther away from the core of the game and eventually making ways of it not even fun anymore.

My most favorite and memorable times playing on Unturned were on servers with little to no plugins or rules, no feast or kits etc.

12 Likes

same

most decent people in the community have stopped actually playing the game

10 Likes

Official server hosting is one solution.

Modded servers are a result of server hosts given liberty to host as they want.

3 Likes

The main reason for that type of servers is theres not much exiting other then PVP because of the lack of proper survival mechanics and the abundance of guns.

I’ve been playing Unturned consistently since June of 2017 so I wasn’t around for those good times in this game’s history, yes I agree that most decent people have sadly stopped playing. I’m betting mostly because of the severe toxicity that raises the tism levels to a whole new level, within unturned servers.
You may think it’s only a problem in public servers, however you’re wrong as this even occurs in private servers, there’s that one shitty mod or admin who abuses his powers and permabans people for even the smallest slip up. My biggest complaint are shitty mods and admins who can get away with anything just because they can.

I’m not going to name the person who did this to me, he doesn’t even deserve to be named. He’s done this to countless people in the server, yet when he does severe rule violations nothing happens and he gets away with it.

Point is, a server can have really nice and chill mods and admins, but it can take one asshole mod to ruin an entire server with his tism fits. When the owner of a server is hands off or even worst, the asshole mod himself, it makes the situation a lot worse because the only person capable of dealing with the problem is either too busy, ignoring the problem or worse case scenario, finds nothing wrong with the actions the mod’s taking.

These types of people submerge themselves in the worst type of immaturity, one that never ends. Hell I can admit that I’m immature and emotionally irrational at times, I see my mistakes and self improve.
But the thing with these toxic moderators and admins is that they’re not rational actors and will selectively enforce the rules, banning people they don’t like for the most minor of offenses, while protecting their friends when they commit severe rule violations.

This is as a result of decent servers going away, decent people also go away. All that is left is assholes and very few decent people. For the official server hosting mentioned by @Raieus, 2.4k hours isn’t enough, the official servers need to be moderated by emotionally mature, calm, and rational people. The servers that have kits, feast, tpa, home, RP, etc. These servers are very often, breeding grounds for the most irrational and immature people in this game. Because they can just yell “KOS” when someone fairly kills them, and a mod will take their word for it.

TL;DR, the servers that exist today breed and attract shitty people, and we’ve got to prevent this mistake from happening ever again. This is pretty much a hypothesis-essay mix.

1 Like

Ok

Ok

1 Like

The only time that i enjoyed U3 is at a vanilla and role-play servers…
and only when i KOS kids :slight_smile:

Oh, I get very sad when I think I couldn’t play at that time because of my bad internet and the computer that couldn’t run.
The lack of friends today is what makes me play Unturned a little, there is no person to play with, and those who do have their computers do not run.

Same. I abandoned it around 2 years ago, because I got bored.

The game had great moments but everyone just needs to accept the end of it even though some people (including me now) are making content for it still. In a few months, my full focus for Unturned-related stuff will be UII content that’ll start with recreating something from the game.

1 Like

If people didn’t like playing on these kinds of servers, there wouldn’t be these kinds of servers. They’d just die off. However, since these servers are, according to your account, highly populated, that means that people like playing on these servers; and since these servers apparently make up such a massive slice of the unturned serverbase, that means that a massive slice of the unturned playerbase enjoys them; the slice itself being a more or less overwhelming majority.

All the servers follow the same model because it’s a successful one that draws in players, and it is apparently what most players want. Therefore, these servers are not intrinsically bad, but rather simply a natural result of the game’s evolution.

It’s rather elitist to presume that your views on what makes a good server would be the views of the rest of the unturned playerbase.

7 Likes

been holding onto this rant for a little while, and this post seems like the best place to put it

The only reason I’ve stuck with 3.0 for the past 2 years has soley been to mod it and viciously criticize curated maps, with maybe the occasional creative server pubstomp because there’s nothing else out there that we can play. It’s pretty depressing, but it is what it is. I’ve already had my fun with the game, back in 2015 and 2016.

4-5+ years of modding 3.0 has left me just burnt-out on Unturned in general, and it doesn’t help that I literally can’t leave it either. Too much work has been put into Stasven for me to just say ‘alright screw this we’re done here’ and leave it at that. I’ve broken far too many promises and cancelled so many maps (Remember Blackwood Valley? PEI v4? Yosemite? California 2034? You don’t. They’re gone.) that it’s just not worth it to cancel another one, especially one with so much work put into it already.

I gotta say though, without 3.0 and its modding community I wouldn’t be doing Stasven or any of my other shitty side projects like Icarus, using them to build Unity and Blender skills for whatever we do next. I wouldn’t have met people like Drmz or Mordecai who’ve taught me how to do what I do and in some cases stuck around to become the best goddamn friends I’ve ever had.

This game’s practically defined the past 6 years for me, but it’s about time it gets put to rest.

12 Likes

Its kind of funny to think how a simple game can have a massive impact on someone’s life. Do something right and you’ve opened yourself up to a new career opportunity, or you find a hobby that you enjoy. And then there are some situations like what Nelson went through. I still require UII roads but he won’t give them up.

1 Like

I definitely sympathize with a lot of the posts here, and hope that official servers will help with most of the community-type problems in 4.0.

To some degree I think any playtime longevity is going to come from mods and custom content, i.e. how long is it worth playing endgame sandbox vanilla no matter what it is, but for everyone who is mostly waiting until 4.0 what do you feel is the “key feature” that will help get things going? Worth considering when deciding how to prioritize this coming year.

21 Likes

Well for me the “key feature” is having a little more knowledge on UII objects. The only reason I’m interested in roads is because I have an idea for a project that would heavily rely on knowing details for them. At the very least, its nice to see that measurements will be more standardized but unless I’ve missed it, there isn’t much information on objects other than buildings.

With the buildings, even though we have enough information to start some progress on them, are there going to be any standardized room sizes used in vanilla content? Knowing the variety and size of other objects could help with determining how large houses need to be if there isn’t any standard baseline.

What about more special types of rooms? How common will bathrooms be? Are storage rooms going to be prominent anywhere? Also, for situations like garages, what will the size of garage doors be? Will they be like the fire station or is that kind more of a special case where it is enlarged for the fire trucks.

I enjoy the idea of knowing as many details as possible to help match custom content with the vanilla style. I eventually put together some resources so that I had this for my personal U3 projects:

Without a large amount of UII content available, most people will just have to take guesses at the style from what they currently know only to revisit it in the future once they learn what the vanilla style actually is.

5 Likes

I already know that mod support is a high priority, but I might as well echo reasons as to why it’s something worth prioritizing. I’ve barely played U3, sure I have a lot of hours in-game, though most of that is running around the content I’ve made or editing content. Sure, giving communities the ability to completely tare apart a game and rebuild it from the ground up if they so choose definitely can help with longevity, as it allows for modders to make an experience completely separate from the main game.

To me, however, making a platform for these incredible creations is something that needs to be done. A good example of this is tModloader. The ease of use of that platform makes installing mods easy. The only big downside is that if there is an error, often the user has to brute force their way and guess what mods are causing a crash instead of just being told. Things like Error logs need to be front and centre when a player boots up the game and has conflicting mods installed. The mod browser also could use things like “Featured Mods”, or “Highly Rated Mods”, though that’s sort of a secondary. Some mods, like Thorium, Tremor, Calamity, Boss Healthbar & imkSushi’s mods have been able to gain notoriety without a featured section, purely through just being good/helpful.

You mentioned a while back that you were trying to get modding tools out to certain creators before launch. Something that you should try to make a reality. I know it’s difficult due to Epic’s TOS when it comes to mod tools, but it would definitely help with longevity, and maybe even give a popularity boost to the game. My fear with UII is that when most players get access, and they’ll see that the game barely has any content, thus it’s not worth them sticking around and will fall back on U3 until the game is in a more complete state. This could potentially scare off several players from UII, thinking it’s just a rushed game and that the developer “Is incompetent” and should have been spending their time working on UII “instead of making maps for U3”. Sure, the majority of players will know that the game is in Early Access, but a number won’t realize that. Sure, those players are mostly kids around the ages of 8, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have any voice in the community. Some people are already working on UII maps, even though they don’t have any access to any of the tools, they’re just making assets until they can get access. Those are the people who should gain early access to these tools, give them the ability to complete their maps before UII becomes widely available. That way the game will have some content to tie people over before the game enters a state where the framework isn’t actively being worked on anymore.

I’m well aware that some people are willing to stick around through early access, Subnautica was able to stay relevant while being completed, the same goes for Minecraft and Terraria. Though those games were able to catch a core fanbase, and sure, Unturned has one as well, evident from the fact that it has a fairly active forum and discord, how ever it’s unwise to not prepare for a situation where a large part of the fanbase doesn’t move to UII. I’m sure you’re already preparing for that situation.

6 Likes

I had ideas for a potential hub for UII content that was basically an upgrade of the Steam Workshop browser but never let the ideas go anywhere. It’d give certain community members permission to vote for a variety of content they felt deserved recognition like a secondary but more minor version of curation as in U3. Officially recognized gamemodes could be given separate pages in this system for displaying content specific to the mode while also giving the creators of the mode special permissions in the category. Popular votes would also be considered every now and then to show what the community enjoyed most for a time period.

I may also consider sharing some of my creations a little more if that early modding tool release ends up happening. I’ve been saving up for something that’s hopefully going to end up with a decent impact. Now if only I knew what the maximum map size currently is in UII.

1 Like

Hmm…I’m going to have to really think hard on this one, there’s so much I want to say. Hopefully gonna try to avoid making too much of a wall of text here :sweat_smile:

To start off with, I’ll preface by saying I 100% agree with your and @kvc.6’s opinions, especially where modded content is concerned. If it was a high priority before, it should remain a high priority. UII has extremely good potential as a sandbox game, almost akin to Garry’s Mod but if it had a survival base game.

There isn’t really any single feature that will immediately get things going, but there’s definitely a few major steps that would be profound leaps for the immediate future of UII development. If I were in your shoes, I’d put my focus on mechanics that have a balance of both a notable immediate impact and substantial future implications on UII. The greatest of which is a well rounded foundation, which you’ve been working towards already with impressive amounts of effort/progress.

To name a few specific examples of potential focal points for development in the near future (some of which I’ve wanted to make in-depth suggestion threads on but haven’t had time to yet):

• The world and environment. UII is understandably still in what is essentially a tech demo stage to most of the public, and a fleshed out environment (equivalent to U3’s Devtest_1/Alpha Valley, or to Pineridge before you redid everything) would help a lot. As it stands while the current testing maps do enough to show off various mechanics, there isn’t really a map yet that ties them all together. A central map that gives off a much more complete impression, and one that you can continue adding features to over time, would be a good priority and milestone for the short to moderate term future.

• Combat and movement systems. This is something you’ve already focused a lot on which is crucial, since combat and movement are two of the mechanics a player most immediately notices. That being said, there’s still a lot of room to build on, both for first passes and for advanced revisions. A prime example of this currently is melee combat - some basic hand to hand would be nice, but a melee system surpassing that of U3 right out of the box (e.g. blocking, volumetric attack, directionality) would blow expectations right out of the water. I do also hope to see the modularity of firearms apply to all items, including melee weapons.

• Completion of a second mainstream revision of the UI. Much easier said than done I’d imagine, but currently the UI is still quite clunky and one of the more frequent complaints I’ve heard of, short of optimization and the amount of content. The interface is always subject to change as it was in U3 of course, but nailing an iteration that’s more user friendly early on will be of great help.

• Modular, easily configurable design. As a finisher, future-proofing huge parts of the game by allowing players to modify them or build onto it with ease, such as with custom gamemodes. I do hope this remains a focus throughout development, since it would greatly impact the longevity of UII, but also because it would presumably open up a lot of other avenues in important mechanics you can add into vanilla. I also hope that this design choice will make interconnecting all the game’s mechanics much easier to do.

It’s really hard for me to summarize this without turning it into a university-level essay, but I tried my best to cover some big points. Looking forward to your thoughts on this!

11 Likes