Let's talk about guns

Perhaps an idea from a major post makes sense.
As for balance, I already told you - this is a subjective concept.
I understand that it’s boring to run all the time with one weapon, only because it is the most effective, and there are no alternatives
And using other weapons will have to measure up with the fact that it is somewhat inferior.

1 Like

It’s just that if you do it like in life, it doesn’t matter, in most cases, what kind of weapon you have, it is important what caliber it is and what cartridges you loaded it with
But for this you need to create new mechanics so that it does not look crooked in the game.

2 Likes

I’ve said this before and I’ll say this again. The most abundant and common types of ammunition in Unturned II should be (from most to least) .22LR, 9mm, 12 gauge, .223 Remington, and .308 Winchester in that order. (5.56 & .223 have different PSIs, same applies with .308 & 7.62 NATO). That being said, it’s disappointing seeing the Unturned gun play being based more around select fire assault rifles rather than semi-auto civilian sporting rifles (yes, that includes the AR-15 because it’s a semi-auto only rifle).

Also, a big reason why the gun meta is in it’s current state is the option to turn on/off gun degradation & ease of repairing guns even if it is turned on (only a bit of scrap). For Unturned II I believe the way to solve this problem is to have a corresponding cleaning kit & gun parts to fix the existing problem. Oh you chose to use a FAMAS on a map based in the US? Good luck finding the parts & gun cleaning kit for it because there were only 400 FAMAS rifles imported to the US.

4 Likes

unturned needs an entire, comprehensive overhaul to its weapon sandbox + skills and hopefully we might see that in the near future. everything from assault rifles dominating to dual caliber to attachment durability to recoil and everything in between needs to be looked at. kuwait had a good thing going with their weapon handling and i hope to see more of that in the future

1 Like

I still have 1 thing to say

WHY DO THEY ALL STILL HAVE ABSURD +99 ZOMBIE DAMAGE

3 Likes

After getting through the everything said I’d like to say that:

1. One-shot zombies are okay, I guess. After all in this game they are not your main enemy plus it makes Unturned somewhat more friendly towards the noobs. If they shoot a zombie then it’s most likely that they will kill that zombie. Most veterans use melee weapons on zombies anyway.

2. Altough assault rifles (and most importantly, Maplestrike) do need a nerf, it should not be too big. Maybe, make AR damage around 40, not 44 and decrease fire rate a little? And Heartbreaker should see a fire rate increase, probably.

3. Pistols, SMGs, - they all need a buff. Speaking about the pistols I’d say that Ace is a good all-rounder and is just in the perfect spot, but the Desert Eagle is weird - first 2 shots are fast, but the next ones are slow. Sure, it has 88 head damage, but good luck hitting your target first. It should become somewhat more consistent, I guess. Civilian pistols like 1911 and Kryzkarek lack player damage, a slight buff would be very good. SMGs need to receive a slight damage buff to make all of them somewhat consistent. Viper, for example, has less damage than a Cobra - why?

4. Shotguns might need to get their range increased. As I remember, Greece shotguns had a whopping 40m range. Crazy. I’d say that Bluntforce would be alright with 25m(as it is the king amongst the vanilla shotguns when it comes to range), Masterkey with 17.5-20m and Vonya with 22.5-25m. The Devil’s Bane should keep the 15m range that it has now or get 17.5m range as it is very situational anyway. And Sawed-Off should get the 15m range, since right now it’s a weird gun.

5. Attachments. Nobody uses suppressors and it might be interesting to let people actually use them. How about letting us putting military/ranger suppressors on guns like 1911, Ace, Schofield, Hawkhound? They would be really nice. Of course, we have a Makeshift muffler, but it lasts for 10 shots and is very bulky. Also, how about adding a 6x scope as an alternative/replacement to the bulky makeshift one? It would be really nice on Yukon, for example.

2 Likes

Nelson should make a gun that weighs one hundred fifty kilograms and fires two hundred dollar, custom-tooled cartridges at ten thousand rounds per minute.

2 Likes

What I don’t understand about guns is why they occupy inventory space. An assault rifle would either be carried on hands or at the back, and a small pistol you would carry behind the waist. I do however understand that if you are going to be taking more weapons, then a bag would be the proper way to carry them around. Instead of being placed in the IN-ventory, they should be OUT-ventory.

Also, I would add double hands for pistols. And in a survival game like Unturned unlike Military simulators, ammo must be crafted and not just found in full boxes randomly.

Also, why I can’t revert the process of UNLOADING magazines so I can use the same bullets for another weapon instead?

1 Like

I did not understand what did you mean about carried guns occupying space since when a gun is equipped it is already not occupying any space except the weapon slot.

However I do agree that it might be a good idea to allow us carry one more mellee weapon/tool in slot 3, as right now we have to either have a gun and a mellee weapon or two guns and both options put you at a disadvantage. Maybe a 3x1 slot would be fine, since it would allow just small weapons like knives or katana/machete?
(I hope that it does not need a lot of work from Nelson since he already overhauled the UI and adding one more slot kind of means him needing to do that again, but in a smaller scale.)

Double-wielded pistols is not what we are going to see any time soon since it would need a lot of stuff from Nelson to do. Right now it’s better to think about the stuff that can be changed much more faster - things such as weapon/item stats or just adding an item in the game.

I almost agree with the unloading thing, but, perhaps, it should be kept as it is? And you can craft ammo for the makeshift guns.

@MediumPlayer Nelson needs to focus on Unturned II right now. He’s already gone back and fixed 3.0 several times, Unturned II isn’t any closer to release and we’ve been waiting for four years now.

Exactly. We were waiting and waiting, the hype is long gone and many people left the game. Although I understand that Nelson works alone and has no previous experience with Unreal 4 and that he also wants to do everything properly to ensure there would be less troubles in the future (unlike 3.0’s spaghetti code which makes many tweaks a big problem) but the 3.0 lives on and he needs it to live on. He still releases weekly updates where he introduces new features for modders and accepts community maps and skins. He even overhauled the UI completely and is now consolidating resource files. I think that changing stats of some weapons might not cause a lot of trouble - you literally change a number and that’s it. How to change and what to change is what this forum is meant for. PDW got replaced with Swissgewehr recently and the reason for that is a poll people voted in. You know that yourself, 'cause you voted there. Let’s discuss further then together, if Nelson is willing to listen. Who knows if there will be another opportunity?

1 Like

I think my issue can be solved by your proposal of a third slot for melee exclusively, and in that order I would continue to expand the idea with drums/magazines as well. Because there are many occasions in which I lose a drum in the heat of a fight because I picked up some loot that was automatically placed in an inventory slot where the replacement drum should have been stored instead. It sucks a lot for me when I want to switch my sniper out to take on an assault rifle, but I must first relocate items in my inventory to open a 5x2 which I originally had beforehand but was reduced to a smaller space due to how inventory system works.

Going back to the beginning of my comment, I really need an easier way to access items that you wouldn’t usually be packing inside a bag or pocket: Katana, Chainsaw, Axe :axe:, Pickaxe :pick:

1 Like

I like the idea of a 3rd slot for a melee but I rather would like the idea of having slings, holsters, and belts instead. This allows for more variation with your play-style. Then guns not being able to put in a backpack should be a thing for larger guns like the Grizzly or the Hell’s Fury. Like a pistol or something is fine but there are guns that should not be in a backpack at all instead put on the side with a sling or straps. I think it’s a good compromise though to just have the model of it just stick on the side though.

To expand on the point with tool belts. You find them in construction areas or civilian areas you can use them to equip melee weapons and if you have a bunch of weapons on it and they interfere they could cling together and cause a bunch of sound meaning this would force you into going loud if you had too many weapons on you. You would also need to find a sheath for the respected weapon to put onto your belt unless the weapon has a belt clip. Tool belts also could be a way where you can have your items on quick equip in a little pouch.

Holsters would be so you can equip pistols faster. Size should just universal here due to simplicity sake. There can be a civilian one where it’s a closed by a button so it’s longer to pull out. While you can have a police holster where it’s a plastic lock so this would be faster to pull out maybe weigh less too.

Slings are just a sling you shouldn’t need to find a specific sling for a specific gun I think it’s better to just have a 1 size fits all just like holsters. This could open up a 2nd slot for a primary here and have primaries need a sling for it to be on your back. You could also find rifle holsters too I’ve seen them but they are mostly ever used on horseback if ever used.

All of this is asking a lot all ready I think the current system is fine in my opinion with just 2 slots. I would prefer having a system with slings, belts, holsters, all for another layer of game play.

This begs the question of if you would get a holster for small things like hammers, knives, saws, etc., and upgrade it with something like scrap to fit things like swords, axes, and handguns in them.

If that’s not the case, would it just be universal? Or would you just expect the players to have space in their primary and secondary for it at that stage in the game?

Personally, I think that for things like handguns, you would need to kill zombies who are in the Police/Military loot pools, and for melee weapons, you would need one from the construction zombies that can be upgraded to fit larger melee weapons.

Technically, Nelson could do this with the new rig system, but that’s already complicated as-is and it would suck if he ruined it accidentally.

For melees you would have a sheath and for hammers, and other small blunt weapons you could use you shouldn’t need a holster and instead could just stick it into a belt. For all the melees they should have a dedicated sheath for them so you can attach them on your back depending if they are an axe of sword. Saws and melees that have no good attach point you could add bungee cord or tarp ball that worked for me IRL. Adding onto the point of crafting holster I believe you should be able to make a simple holster for melee or something else with rope, cloth, and duck-tape should not be expensive at all with scrap I think it’s a little overkill for crafting a holster.

Universal to an extent there should just be a one size fits all holster, sling, but for melees I believe you can’t get away with it being different shapes but instead having the melees just spawn in a holster instead and rarely finding them not in a holster.

Elaborate on

To balance out loot more than just camping a military base I believe that the military base shouldn’t have this god tier melee weapon instead having heavier weapons being buffed such as the Axe should be one of the best due to the weight hitting down on it being a near one shot same with the Sledgehammer. Both of these would be in a city’s loot making it a little more appealing to go to the city or town instead of rush military base.

This would be more separate from the rig system in my opinion due to it not really interfering with it besides the sling. The sling has many ways to be slung around just for brevity see image below.
main-qimg-0895e2344afe4250fcbc9b563374627d

I believe you could also just add the sling onto the gun when you have it holstered in U4 so instead of it being just magically attached to your back there is a sling model but then the backpack comes in here. The backpack already has the guns supported on it for U4 when it’s your primary slot. So Nelson would have to redo where the gun is and add the mechanics of slung weapons which is asking a lot as it’s asking for a rework of the entire equip system.

Pistol and Rifle slings need a civilian drop it is completely illogical to not have a drop for a civilian holster. Melee weapons should just have their sheaths on already to simplify this entire rework to the equipping. Upgrading your holsters I think is sort of a weird concept how do you even upgrade a holster. You don’t just get a holster and upgrade it it’s built a certain way and it’s hard to modify it without destroying it. My father and I had to refit a holster for a pistol and I have never baked a pistol holster until then just to get the shape right. That was just to change it from a glock to fit a 1911 and we also had wood fittings in it probably 2 other handguns but my point is there. I don’t think you should be able to upgrade holster make them yes. This also could be giving leather some new light than just there for early game clothing also there for some decent holsters.

1 Like

Yes exactly my thoughts as you are describing yourself. I really can’t imagine why a person would need to “store” whatever he is holding in his secondary to just take out the blowtorch to fix something. Same for taking out the axe or chainsaw but must first “store” your sword or secondary firearm.

The current system is impractical and UN-realistic

2 Likes

This is one of the reasons I like the new welder tool in Kuwait. You do not need to have it equipped in one of your two slots, and it takes up the same amount of room as a normal blowtorch. It’s overall a good thing and I hope that it carries over to other items in Unturned 2.

1 Like

@Alexander even though the sling system is interesting it is not what can be done quick and reliably, not mentioning the fact of the game not being focused on such tactical stuff. Even Escape From Tarkov has no such systems, but Unturned is way more casual than that. I do not say it is bad, but what I do say is that if we need a change we need to ask for something that can be done fast and make a difference at the same time.

That is one of the reasons of why I don’t like to use drums. And yes, this is indeed frustrating when it comes to switching guns and finding out that it can’t be done, but well, that’s how the inventory works, so I guess we gotta get used to it.

Pistols are not always side arms.