Limited Stats When Spawned

“Time to build bases next to spawn points!”

Bases next to spawn points are already a thing, purely off of people wanting to shoot the fresh spawns. This isn’t exactly a counterpoint.

I think that this is an effective deterrent due to the fact that the incentive of basing elsewhere other than a spawnpoint is still relevant, for loot and resources.

While I do admire your whole approach of

“how do we incentivize survival?”

I don’t believe Unturned II should be as forgiving as Unturned was.
Adding more penalties is a sure fire way to encourage people not to die.

1 Like

There’s far better ways to improve survival-centricism than “let’s just penalize this for the sake of annoyance”

Name me some then.
Its not easy is it?

Its easy to say “put in more incentives”.

Molton just tried to make that point, but what more is there to add?
Good penalties will highlight the incentives.

The respawn penalty of the bedroll will say “Guess I can’t skip out on food runs anymore because I’ll starve before I get anywhere.”
(The reason why me and my group suicided by the way, to optimize route times and loot runs.)

It will also say
“Guess I can’t just throw myself endlessly at the raiders attacking me. I should try and not die then.”

The incentive to not suicide spam in 3.0 is that you lose xp.

First and easiest incentive is to do the same thing in U2, but have a far more extensive skill tree that is not only fun to use but also fairly powerful. There are not that many other incentives you can add, without changing/removing respawning in your house completely, as the incentive would have to be something that doesn’t carry over across lives, if molton or anyone wanted to elaborate on how one would “incentivize” survival further, that would be nice because so far I cant really think of anything else.

Penalties arent a fun way to deal with this though.

3 Likes

That’s not really the best way to phrase it either. Players shouldn’t be rewarded for just being alive, they should actually have to train their skills and gather resources. The skill system in Unturned II should offer far more progression than that of 3.X. Instead of storing excess progress in libraries, players should have to choose to spend resources to backup a portion of their current progress.

He was referring to survival-centricism (relative to the PvP-centricism of 3.0) as opposed to the mere task of survival.

It’s actually very easy for me, since survival-centric suggestions are the bulk of my contributions here.

Some major examples:

• my Skill System Overhaul which includes several heavily complex mechanics working in tandem

• Sectionalized Clothing, which encourages properly establishing a shelter rather than carrying craptons of gear everywhere you go, as well as rebalancing clothing as a whole (not just making them statistically worse)

• adding a proper calorie intake and consumption system instead of percent bars, to accurately reflect the struggle in real-world survival situations to maintain calorie reserves (which promotes conservation of calories like real survival too. See also: The Long Dark)

• more in-depth medical system including various illnesses and afflictions, as well as both ambient and body temperature (most prominent zombie survival games have this down better than Unturned, even DayZ)

• general immersive details such as being unable to properly identify wild flora without the necessary botanical knowledge (imagine accidentally eating a toxic mushroom that looks identical to an edible one), or being unable to identify unlabeled medication (both of these a la NEO Scavenger)

While these can be seen as penalties technically, they actually serve a purpose outside of just being annoying. Not only are these survival-centric in their entirety, but they actually properly provide the aforementioned “incentives” as well as enhancing immersion and the overall gameplay experience. Some of these can even be seen as beneficial (for example, stocking up on high calorie diets instead of being restrained to a bar with a hard limit)

6 Likes

Well I be damned mister GreatHero, alright alright.

Just discovered your sectionalized clothing post, and I really liked it. Also it saves me a lot of work since I was covering that in my next post, lol. Anyway, I have some extra side notes and suggestions to add, so stay tuned.

#NoPocketsMeansNoStorage!

1 Like

How would being ill incentivise staying alive over committing suicide? Or did you completely forget the topic at hand?

1 Like

What if either we make it so if someone suicides too much, their speed starts decreasing. (as in player movement speed.
And PERMANENTLY. )

Or we could just make it so they keep their old stats, with maybe 1 or 2 percent added. (unless if they suicide right after that.)

I fail to see how sectionalized and the calorie and medical systems would stop people from killing them selves. Sectionalized clothing just seems completely unrelated, and the calorie and medical systems would just add more of an incentive to suicide, especially if you get harsher debuffs from being crippled or on the brink of starvation. Yes they all make the game better gameplay wise but how do they prevent people from killing themselves? I would not be suprised if someone just busted their leg or couldnt find food and just killed them selves as they didnt want to deal with the long struggle ahead.

This is waaaaayyyyy to punishing, 1% stacks up too, 10 suicides is fairly obtainable if you play on a server for a week or so and get stuck in dumb places. Maybe a slight speed debuff once you spawn after suiciding but not a permanent one.

2 Likes

I think you’ve ignored my reply to you particularly.

An improved medical system is definitely survival-centric as far as I know.

Again, to reiterate, the current debate here is on how to incentivize survival gameplay. While the OP was referring to suicides, this became a sub-point that I had to address after Molton brought it up.

If you actually think that’s what @MoltonMontro was talking about, you should have flagged his reply as offtopic, because that would have nothing to do with this thread.

I’m not flagging a fully legitimate counterargument to a relevant post from a staff member as “off topic”. I think you know well how rhetorical that was.

Either way, naturally by making the game more survival-centric, you would solve the problem of people suiciding for the sake of suicide too. This is a two-way problem that needs a two-way solution.

I have already read what Molton wrote I interpreted it to mean that attempting to stay alive should be incentivised. Rereading it has not changed my interpretation at all. Making survival more challenging =/= actually providing a reason to survive, and wouldn’t be relevant to a thread about discouraging people from dying.

What about removing the suicide option?And in case you get stuck in a wall of something you are getting damage?

Pretty sure putting killboxes inside of all the objects and following the contours of the landscape (which theoretically no one should get stuck in anyways) is more difficult to implement than having the player do it manually.

I did not particularly refer to using killboxes because that would be a problem for fps and other stuff. Nelson could use the regular colliders of the player and objects and in case they enter to much one in each other then the player gets damage (for exemple in minecraft if you somehow get stuck in a block you start getting damage) and in case player falls trough the map than he falls into a killbox.

1 Like

What kind of shitstorm have I started.

Not a shit storm yet, this is some good discussion