LOD bias thread

I did some testing with the settings and I honestly see no change? Did I do something wrong or does this feature have little to no effect?

Did I do something wrong here? Am I too high up in the screenshots?

I think it has to do with stuff that is on top of the building, like if you set it to a certain level the ac units won’t deload like they would if they were inside the building

sorry if that didn’t make sense

Maybe that is for small objects and furniture

it adds depth to trees/objects and renders them according to where the camera is. You’ll notice the shadows and detailed leaves/foliage changing. If you zoom out, you’ll notice smaller/more detailed furniture and props getting less and less detailed. It’s kinda hard to explain, but i think you kinda get the idea

its has something to do with the level of detail of far away objects, not exactly sure about the bias part though.
in the unity users manual it defines it as a modifier to when the LOD get swapped

“When it is set between 0 and 1 it favors less detail. A setting of more than 1 favors greater detail. For example, setting LOD Bias to 2 and having it change at 50% distance, LOD actually only changes on 25%.”

LOD = level of detail

regardless of if it did anything, did you see a performance difference?

There was no noticeable performance difference, I will benchmark at standard settings later to double check.

1 Like

Just finished benchmarking. @AtleSt
I flew through Seattle with 0 and 100 lod bias and there was no noticable impact.
I ran my test on all medium for the most part on a gtx 1060 3gb + i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz

Settings

Here are the frame results if you are curious

Unturned 0 lod bias
Frames: 4465 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 74.417 - Min: 24 - Max: 103

Unturned 100 lod bias
Frames: 4436 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 73.933 - Min: 51 - Max: 104

The important numbers here are the averages
Both were pretty much Identical frame wise.

One thing I noticed is the lack of change between the settings, again.

In the back of the police building in between the cabinets is that gray box, That normally looks like this:
It loads the good version of the model at the same time in both tests, ruling out the lod bias having to do with what distance they render at. Maybe I did something wrong with the test… Any ideas?

1 Like

maybe the lod bias setting doesn’t work at all?
here is an example of lod bias working like intended within an emulator running Breath of the wild

+16

^ This file was too big to be uploaded in 4k

it seems to mostly affect textures, but i don’t know how the game works so i could be wrong

2 Likes

If it does then that explains why there’s no noticeable difference. Unturned’s textures are usually only about 2x2 pixels. If that is what it does then it would explain why there’s no difference.

Why would the option be there if it does nothing?

Sometimes things are added as a stepping stone for future features.

Looking LOD Bias up, it dose seem to be texture related. I guess roads will be slightly more optimized? It seems like a useless feature to be honest.

Maybe a good test would be making a custom object with a high res texture to see if its affected.

ON IT!

Hmm I wonder if you restarted the game between tests? (Preferences.json is only loaded during game startup)
The LOD_Bias value is added to the distance slider value which ranges between 1 and 4, so +100 should be really noticeable. Danaby posted a screenshot to the forum the other day with it set to a negative number causing nothing to be visible. I think it’s cool you guys investigated this :smiley:

8 Likes

Is there any particular reason it only loads on startup?

No particular reason, aside from it not being implemented - the game would need to keep an eye on the file’s modified timestamp and reload it after changes.

3 Likes

Alrighty, thanks for the info. I am pretty sure I restarted the game between tests but just in cause I will benchmark again in the morning to see if there is any difference in the data. Is there any values that would be better to use than 0 and 100?

i would do -10 and +10

1 Like

you can watch a small section of my video LOD_Bias (Video)

there is a difference