"My head feels like a bowling ball." - On the 4.0 playermodel

TL;DR: The 4.0 player model’s head is so abnormally humongous that it would make PVP(/E?) even more strange then 3.0’s.

I’m gonna cut straight to the chase here. The 4.0 player model’s head isn’t proportionate at ALL. It’s too big, and it needs a shrinking.

I can’t find any good pictures of 4.0’s (current) player model, so I only really have these two to show.
headest This one is a good example of how the head is too THICC. It’s thicker then the body. The BODY. Since the human head extends towards the front a bit, he could fix this by just shrinking the back side.
header This one shows just how much the head stands out from the rest of the body.
It’s ginormous. It’s a gigantic beacon screaming “Blow me off!”. Combat isn’t very fun when headshots are so easy to achieve. It looks like it’s the size of about a quarter of the torso, if not more. This is also true for 3.0’s player model, but 4.0’s limbs have been thinned out as well, which just makes the head’s situation worse.

Now let’s take the 3.0 player model as comparison. Due to a lack of good photos (and other factors) I’m going to use Nelson’s profile picture as an example.

The head isn’t thicker then the body (from what I can tell), and it fits with the rest of the model. It’s big, but since ALL OF IT is big it works out.

Just for fun, let’s compare both of them to the average human.

The most noticeable thing here is that the head isn’t very big (in comparison to the other two pictures). It’s actually shorter and fairly slender (the limbs are, too). I’m not gonna say that Unturned should go THIS far with its player model (in terms of proportions), that’s Nelson’s deal, he can go that far if he wants too.

What I AM saying is that the head stands out WAY too much for PVP to be anything more then “destroy ALL the heads”. And I really think PVP should be more about aiming for the torso or the gut instead, at least in a survival game, because it’s the biggest, and therefore easiest target to hit.
Oh, and also PVE might be too easy if we can just get headshot multipliers for days.

10 Likes

It’s smaller than in Unturned 3, with a more accurate hitbox. PvP combat is more difficult actually. Kinda kills the whole point of your post, but yeah. It’s actually not larger.

It’s probably larger than the body due to the body being shrunken because of thickness complaints, and the head isn’t shrunken because then it’d be way too small. (Clothing would probably also help bridge the thickness divide anyways.)

4 Likes

It’s smaller than in Unturned 3, with a more accurate hitbox

If you’re referring to what Nelson said about 4.0’s head: I can’t find the original quote (either it’s not on the forum or it disappeared off the face of the EARTH), but if I recall correctly he specifically mentioned that the size of the head hadn’t actually changed, but the hitbox had gotten more accurate.

Besides, even if this is 100% accurate, I never actually said it wasn’t. I said the head was disproportionate to the body and because of that it makes the head stick out like bright red on pure white. Though that’s more of a colour comparison then a size comparison…
sh

It’s probably larger than the body due to the body being shrunken because of thickness complaints

Yeah I should’ve mentioned that this was the reason the rest of the body had gotten a shrink.

and the head isn’t shrunken because then it’d be way too small.

“Too small?” It looks like me.
If I wore a watermelon on my head.
Right now it’s TOO BIG. If it was resized to be proportioned even like 3.0’s head to its body (PROPORTIONS are the term of the day here) I’d be fine with it.

(Clothing would probably also help bridge the thickness divide anyways.)

I don’t think it should. I think body parts should be compared to the base body, not the body with extra thicc clothing on.

sorry if i came across as rude at points, it’s something that happens even at school sometimes (though i don’t think any of my teachers have noticed, thank god)

edit: i’m thinking of making an edit of what a smaller head might look like in these instances. if i do, i’ll post it in the op, but i probably won’t. yeah nevermind that’s not happening.

The body has been shrunk and the head stayed the same.

PvP combat is more difficult actually

By a small margin I would imagine.
Despite you being right on all the technical terms of PVP being marginally more difficult than 3.x, our point is that its not difficult enough.

and the head isn’t shrunken because then it’d be way too small.

#NoWatermelonHeads

1 Like

Despite you being right on all the technical terms of PVP being marginally more difficult than 3.x, our point is that its not difficult enough.

That’s something I actually…think…I forgot to mention. Thank you.

Pretty much the body is slightly flatter in terms of width. People asked for a body that is less fat, so here we have it.

I don’t really think it causes any significant gameplay issues, the problem is either just an exaggeration or simply out of absurdity. But if the dev feels it’s too big then sure, he could shrink it a few millimeters/inches

Pretty much the body is slightly flatter in terms of width. People asked for a body that is less fat, so here we have it.

It’s more that the head stands out. That might be why, but that wasn’t the point of the post. So…

I don’t really think it causes any significant gameplay issues, the problem is either just an exaggeration or simply out of absurdity.

I mean, if you’re given the option to shoot a regular sized torso for regular damage, or an abnormally large and easy to hit head for extra damage, which one are you gonna take? Heads aren’t all that easy to shoot.

But if the dev feels it’s too big then sure, he could shrink it a few millimeters/inches

i just wanted to point out that i saw you edit this in and correct it and it made me giggle

literally unplayable

1 Like

I agree, the head has become a far easier target to hit than the rest of the body due to the body’s decrease in size. Let’s see what Nelson has to say about this. I mean in 3.0 the head was smaller because the model was too thicc overall. A slight decrease in the ratio size of the head to the body and everything would be fine

1 Like

I see what you mean with the head being larger than the body but i have to disagree that it should be changed. to me it seems like the head stayed the same size while the body got smaller, making pvp a little more challenging for the aiming impaired people out there. as for pvp for the average casual player, i think not much will change.

I’d believe that. It’s on GitHub somewhere btw.

I wouldn’t want a rectangular head though, and the current head size when actually shown in the Devlog looks fine enough to me too, so regardless of the awkward proportions I’d still probably prefer the current design anyways.

or maybe give some thiccness back plz

1 Like

to me it seems like the head stayed the same size while the body got smaller, making pvp a little more challenging for the aiming impaired people out there

That’s pretty much the problem. The head is already fairly easy to hit in 3.0, but now, in comparison to the rest of the body, it’ll be EVEN EASIER.

Also, @MoltonMontro

I wouldn’t want a rectangular head though

He could just shrink it overall then, that’s not a big problem.

and the current head size when actually shown in the Devlog looks fine enough to me too, so regardless of the awkward proportions I’d still probably prefer the current design anyways.

Damn, I can’t argue with subjectivity.

Under the context of in comparison to other body parts in Unturned 4.x, possibly so.

The torso is still wider when fighting head-on, like in most circumstances. When fighting head-on (or from behind) anywhere but the head would be easier to hit. When shooting someone at their side, leading headshots would probably be easier than leading body shots, until they face a different direction. (Of course, they’d still have more body height than head height on their side, so bullet drop factoring in could make it easier to hit arms anyways.

When under the context of Unturned 3’s head versus Unturned 4’s head: Unturned 4.x is harder to hit. If we’re comparing Unturned 3’s body to 4.x’s body, 4.x’s body is harder to hit. If we were to say that 4.x’s head is easier to hit than 4.x’s body, and that 3’s head is easier to hit than 3’s body, then we end up with an overall “PvP is harder in 4.x” no matter what.

The problem isn’t really with the head’s size, I feel that you just feel people will focus on headshots more than anything (which people would try to do regardless, to be honest.) No matter what players will be harder to hit than in Unturned 3, which I feel is a bigger problem than if the head is still possibly going to be easier to hit than the torso.

Tiny baby head hobbit is no good! :frowning: Make a mock-up that doesn’t look weird and I might agree. I’d rather just have a slightly thicker body though, to be honest, if it had to be changed.

This is a good image to envision any changes on though.

1 Like

The torso is still wider when fighting head-on, like in most circumstances. When fighting head-on (or from behind) anywhere but the head would be easier to hit.

Not by a lot. The head is huge.

When under the context of Unturned 3’s head versus Unturned 4’s head:

This is irrelevant.

The problem isn’t really with the head’s size, I feel that you just feel people will focus on headshots more than anything (which people would try to do regardless, to be honest.)

And the main reason for this is (likely) a mixture of Unturned’s damage model and the sheer size of the head.
If you look at other survival games, people tend to go for the body since the head is a VERY small target and body hits are practical regardless. In Unturned, the only shots that do base damage or higher are headshots - chest shots do LESS damage then base damage. Not only that, the heads are big. I’d even say it’s a problem with 3.0. The point of the post is just that 4.0 will make it WORSE.

No matter what players will be harder to hit than in Unturned 3, which I feel is a bigger problem than if the head is still possibly going to be easier to hit than the torso.

“Problem”? 3.0 players are very easy to hit. I don’t see how slimming them out a bit is a problem.

Tiny baby head hobbit is no good!

You’d rather have a watermelon head then a regular sized head?

Make a mock-up that doesn’t look weird and I might agree.

Alright, so you said this was good for envisioning changes right?
headest

Well boom.
headester
I literally just (did my best to) shrink everything proportionately so that the front and back of the head weren’t extending past the body. It might be a bit uneven, but I think I got the concept down. If you think that’s too small (I think it’d be fine), it could be a little bit bigger.
had to resize the image just to get the head right then shrink it down again

inb4 nelson comes in and absolutely shuts me down
i miss tiny reddit text.

I apparently missed a word. It helps fix what I found to be the bigger problem: PvP being too easy in general. Head size is far less of an issue to me when the entire player model is now harder to hit in 4.x.

1 Like

I apparently missed a word. It helps fix what I found to be the bigger problem: PvP being too easy in general. Head size is far less of an issue to me when the entire player model is now harder to hit in 4.x.

Ah alright, that makes more sense. But if anything, shrinking everything BUT the head just makes the size of the head a bigger issue. It’s like if the government renovated all but one building in a neighbourhood. Sure, the neighbourhood is better overall, but that one building stands out even more now.
Perhaps not the best analogy but I think you get my point.
i hope
maybe
probably

The thing is that the net chances of getting hit in 3.0 are (let’s just say) 50%-50%
But in 4.0 with the model having a smaller body, the odds of hitting the body would decrease, thus adding more chances to the head being hit. And that’s wht I think Whistle is trying to say. I might be wrong tho

I get it, I’m just having a hard time editing your analogy to accommodate for the head hitbox being smaller in 4.x. :thinking: At some point I decided to throw fire hydrants into the surrounding roads.

Yeah. In a previous reply I assume that and kinda touch on it.

Something I did leave out from that reply though was that since the head overhangs the body, the bullet drop on long-distance shots would be more likely to hit the head at the very end due to it sticking out more, but I don’t think that’d ever actually be reliable, unless bullet drop was suddenly exponential at the end for whatever reason (since it’s so gradual in Unturned 3, it should be hitting the same target regardless in that short distance).

3.x’s head hitboxes are slightly bigger than the visual whereas 4.x very closely matches, so theoretically yes.

is the full quote btw. It’s a really short quote. https://github.com/SmartlyDressedGames/Unturned-4.x-Community/issues/76

1 Like

I get it, I’m just having a hard time editing your analogy to accommodate for the head hitbox being smaller in 4.x. :thinking: At some point I decided to throw fire hydrants into the surrounding roads.

Christ, I’m reaching Kerfucko levels here.

3.x’s head hitboxes are slightly bigger than the visual whereas 4.x very closely matches, so theoretically yes.

is the full quote btw. It’s a really short quote. https://github.com/SmartlyDressedGames/Unturned-4.x-Community/issues/76

thanks lad

Good to see this has settled down.
My vote is shrink the head.
drops mic

1 Like