New Gun Type, Attachments, & Mechanics Suggestions

READER DISCLAIMER:
The topic is huge, huger than any usual topic in SDGForum that covers up everything by me. And when I say huge, it will take approximately 5-minutes or more to complete the whole topic. The length of this topic is made on purpose. I was literally working for multiple hours and more to have it complete.

Welcome to my first 4.0 topic where I will be discussing additional attachments and new gun mechanics, all compiled together. So to start off, let’s describe what attachments are. They are core items that affect the gun for better use, making them more effective. In 4.0, they have a larger variety of amounts and statistics that make them very diverse. But in my opinion, they need to have different mechanics and newer attachments that do much more than your average grips and scopes. Here is a variety of specific attachments and mechanics that I listed down with some having reference pictures down here for 4.0. Keep in mind that some terms are mentioned but not listed.

Durability 2.0

Durability should function similarly to 3.0’s but with some changes and additions. In 4.0, it should only affect gun performance once it starts getting to 40% or more. Additionally, at 40% or below, any gun will start jamming. Also, durability is split to gun parts instead of the whole gun, with the “40% or below” mechanic added. Receivers will start affecting the gun with minor to drastic damage changes, it will also affect fire rate if it reaches 25%. Barrels will receive minor to a drastic range, bullet drop & bullet speed changes. Suppressor durability is heavily improved. It will overall make them last in the long run realistically.

Suppressor 2.0

Suppressors need changing for 4.0, with such already mentioned is improved durability. They should also receive a variety of suppressors and suppressors locked or shared for certain gun types or barrels. For example, The Eaglefire cannot accept suppressors or similar barrel attachments of any kind until or unless the barrel integrally is threaded. Unlike 3.0, 4.0 suppressors affect range, gun length, bullet drop, speed, recoil, & recovery due to the fact that they act as barrel extensions. They no longer affect damage in any way.

Rotary Attachment Toggle System (RATS)

This system makes guns with multiple attachments that have lasers or lights on each rail convenient. This works by toggling lasers or lights clockwise of the gun’s handguard if the hotkey is pressed, unless if the attachment is a laser-light combo (will get to those later).

An AR-15 handguard

The attachment below the handguard will always be selected by the system first, then it will rotate to the left side and so on until the right side which will then switch off all the attachments at the next toggle. If the attachments are switched on or off in the inventory UI or gun customization UI, the system will instead turn off all the attachments when the hotkey is pressed. If the attachment is a laser-light combo, it will toggle from laser to light to both on then off and onto the next rail. The system will ignore lasers internally built into scopes (which I will also get into later).

Sights/Scopes or Similar Attachments with Toggleable Features

Firefield 2.5- 10x40mm Scope With Laser

These new attachments are a variant that adds extra versatility, boosting accuracy, activating built-in lasers, CQC view, toggling vision, & edit zeroing (will be separated). There are a variety of kinds & a subvariety of scopes, dual scopes & backup sights/scopes. All these kinds can be toggled by pressing the same hotkey that is shared for the attached weapons (onto that later). They can also be manually toggled to by selecting the gun in the inventory or the gun customization & there would be a setting to use scope/sight trait. Keep in mind that one attachment of these kinds can be attached to a gun at a time, if a newer one is attached, the current will be detached and replaced.

Scope Zeroing

An unidentified scope being zeroed by rotating the elevation adjustment

Scope zeroing is a new feature and mechanic that adds versatility to hunting and long-range scopes that make it ideal for switching from mid-range to long-range marksmanship. They also share the hotkey used by the sights/scopes or similar attachments with toggleable features by aiming down sights while doing so and can also be manually edited by opening a zeroing UI at the inventory or the gun customization. Additionally, holding down the hotkey is also an option and if released will close the zeroing screen. Like many other attachments and attachments to be talked about, they come in a large variety, for military, ranger, police & even civilian types.

Laser-Light Combo

Viridian X5L Green Laser Light Combo

Laser-light combos are rail attachments that utilize both laser and lights for both accuracy and visibility. They are very versatile for but come with a toggle delay for switching on and off.

Attached Ammunition Storage

MidwayUSA Buttstock Rifle Ammunition Carrier Black

These attachments can be a new and great addition to the game that provides utility for a great cause. There are 2 kinds of attached ammunition storage: carriers & built-in. Carriers can be applied to certain rifles and most shotguns, as well as coming attached to different parts, all that gives a very small reload time boost if it is for a shotgun that has a tube magazine or a rifle of any sort with an integral magazine. Both types act as a backup or last resort ammunition if nothing is left in the inventory. Built-in ammunition storages is not an attachment but an ability that is only a feature to a very few varieties of stocks. They also provide backup reloads, neutrally stores magazines into guns & uniquely a selected few provide a reload speed boost if a backup reload is commenced. A lifesaving feature that is a moderate to a small addition to 4.0 that makes it very immersive and fun.

Jamming

A jammed AR-15, shown by the bullet stuck in the chamber

Jamming is a mechanic that halts the gun’s ability to fire. This will only apply once a gun is below 40%, which will then give a 25% chance to jam. If a gun’s durability reaches 15%, the jam chance will reach its max of 75%. Guns will always jam if it is fired at 0%. Jammed guns can be fixed in 2 ways, a jam-clear drill, and a jam fix. A jam-clear drill is a fast method that requires forcing the casing out by repeatedly clicking and holding the reload hotkey. A successful drill’s duration is randomized, taking about 2-4.85 seconds while a successful drill at 40% or below takes about 2.95-7.15 seconds. Jam-clear drills can be canceled by released the reload hotkey. Jam fix is a longer method that requires opening the gun customization UI or inventory. It lasts about 4.9 for durable guns and 8.1 for guns that have durability lower than 40%. Upon a successful fix, the jam rate will reduce 5% up to 15% if the user has skills or tools. Jam fixes can be shortened by certain engineering skills, with tools or both, which make it more effective. Jamming also varies on the firearm type, pistols jam the least and are fixed the fastest while automatic shotguns & certain assault rifles jam the most and are fixed the slowest.

Bipod 2.0

GG&G XDS Heavy Duty Bipod Picatinny Rail Mount 8" to 10.5" Aluminum Black

Bipods need a change that makes them very viable. Bipods for 4.0 need to interact with what’s below the bipod itself. Bipods take effect when they have a surface to support the gun such as on the ground. Once it does, it will provide a huge recoil buff depending on the bipod. For some bipod types, specifically foldable and grip pods can be toggled by pressing the aim hotkey while it is on a surface or when it is toggled from inventory or gun customization. Bipods will stay active when they are toggled from the inventory or gun customization and are ignored by the aim hotkey until they are turned off manually from those as well.

US Soldier prone with a grip pod in action attached to a customized Daewoo K2 with a railed handguard

Bipods come in three types: attached which are attached on rails, barrel-attached which are only attached to barrels, sometimes attached on default by chance, & grip pods which provide grip properties and bipod properties.

Ranger Plates

Ranger plates with one attached to an AR-15 5.56 PMAG with a window

Ranger plates are magazine attachments designed for certain magazines. They are the only attachments that physically boost and only boost reload speed, which is one of the most effective and important attachments. Their stats pair up with skills that affect reload speed which makes them very good attachments. Most adds reload speed but a certain variety adds more weight.

Magazines with windows

Reference picture shared from Ranger Plates section, which is the PMAG AR-15 5.56 Window

Magazines with windows are a magazine type that doesn’t affect reload speed but show the amount and type of bullets are in a magazine (As demonstrated at devlog#18) and grants the ability to see the number of shots left before the magazine is empty. It’s done by adding numbers of shots alongside the bullet UI and also makes use of the window, showing that bullets are being depleted. This is useful for making shooters more aware of the number of shots even more and can give an opportunity to plan fast-paced strategies.

Grenade Launchers

M79 Grenade Launcher “Thumper”

Grenade launchers are a very rare firearm that fires grenades to take out foes in groups or behind cover. Unlike more destructive weapons like rocket launchers or cannons, they are less destructive and have many uses depending on the rounds used and design. Some types share grenade types while others have grenades for selected or single types. The majority have high-explosive rounds, which are the standard ammunition, tear gas, which disables most actions to players in it and halts zombie movement, smoke, & buckshot, containing 20 small projectiles which transform the grenade launcher into a shotgun for that certain round. There are more rounds that could have potential to be listed but it’s too much for this already long topic. Other traits of grenade launchers are that they have less weight depending on the grenade launcher and that their grenades are more varied and compact than rockets.

Attached Weapons

M203 Grenade Launcher, an underbarrel grenade launcher

Attached weapons are lethal accessories that are only attached depending on their design. Some to mention are grenade launchers, shotguns, & bayonets. To activate the use of the attached weapons, they have a hotkey that is separated from toggling laser or light attachments. More than one attached weapon cannot be added and will otherwise do nothing than be a cosmetic if it is on a side rail, top rail, or barrel. Bayonets for 4.0 should have a wide variety, with some being exclusive to some guns, some adapted for rails, & some for barrels. They aren’t too heavy but they add more weight to the gun they attach to.

Reload Methods & Animation Creator

A female shooter quick reloading what seems to possibly be an FN FNP

We all know what these are, methods of reloading a gun depending on their state. There are the tactical and full reloads. But to add up some more for 4.0, I will add, or accurately, suggest the standard and quick reloads that effect reloads and fully cosmetic but fun animation customization. We all know standard reloads, which are normal reloads, but we should likely be introduced to quick reloads and loading individual rounds. They are agile reloads that drop the magazine loaded and insert a newer quickly for emergency situations. This stacks with skills & ranger plates that develop reload speeds, making them quicker. It saves time for the user and could be a lifesaver. Some weapons aren’t capable of quick reloads though with the right requirements, this includes shotguns, rifles with internal magazines & revolvers. If a revolver or shotgun is reloaded with a speedloader, it will entirely replace the method that individually loads rounds with loading all rounds into the cylinder with no trouble, additionally emptying the cylinder of all rounds.

Animation customization is a purely cosmetic addition that gives satisfaction and it doesn’t affect reload speeds at all. It is available at the character customization screen and it features character bones and that you can freely move to your will. Magazine/clip/rounds positions can also be customized and they connected to hand bones to make your character hold it under or across. There is also a small system that indicates if your reload animation is fit for the gun, it will not accept limbs that would eventually unrealistically and uncomfortably insert into the gun too much and it will also include a magazine/clip/round insertion assist system that will help with building the animation. You can also add force to the magazine, toggle bolt/charging handle pulls, or both overall for the best experience. For convenience, it has stock template animations are for both bolt/charging handle pulls or bolt releases for you to start with. This also depends on the exact gun, for example, Eaglefire animations are completely separated from Cobra animations. This animation customization applies for tactical, full, quick, insertions, pumps, & bolt open and closes for the very best experience. Sure it sounds complicated, but once you understood it, you can nail fancy reloads. Depending on up to Nelson himself, these animations also are workshop-worthy for you to share to the community so other people can test out other’s animations.

And you have reached the end, readers. Comment what you think below, I’d also be happy if you can give a like. It warms me. This topic is made for hours and hours, with 14 suggestions that are very game-changing, all created at an average of 8 hours. I pushed myself to the limit and beyond just to make this all for you people even if the read is just for minutes. I may be already experiencing possible symptoms with almost no breaks straight but it didn’t stop me from making all this. I used many of my sweat, energy, & health just to have this for you guys, just for making the Unturned community, just for the sake of everyone here. All that I suggested is for 4.0 to be better, to make you all happy that I tried my best to suggest all this just for you all. Now, before I unlikely pass out, I would like to thank everybody who read until the end. Nelson, if you literally read from top to bottom, thank you. That is enough to make me happy. See you all next time.

13 Likes

TL:DR We need more Gun types, A wide variety of Attachments, and different types of mechanics for the guns

2 Likes

Okay dear fella that is L O N G

“it’s long so it must be good!” -danaby2

5 Likes

“It’s long so it must be good” - danaby2

5 Likes

you guys are fucking this up.
its, and i quote

Get it right nerds hehehehehe

OMO’s (or in Forum’s case because I can’t be renamed, DGG’s) Status:
im about to pass out, good bye for awhile

Ooh I like the idea of custom reloading animations, maybe have some for holstering weapons out?

1 Like

I didn’t really read too much, but i dont like the idea of zeroing. First of all a large part of the ‘unturned skill’ is to judge bullet drop but secondly it really doesn’t seem that useful considering gun max range is a mere 300m

I agree for everything except for jamming. Jamming should only happen around 10-5% durability.

Range will not be the same as it was in 3.0, don’t make assumptions.

That should entirely depend of the gun, as there may be guns more efficient durable-wise than others. A number around 20% and 50% depending on the gun sounds good for me.

1 Like

Do note that the handguard shown here features a KeyMod attachement system, which features slots cut into the handguard itself that can have indivitual rail sections put. As an endgame item, it could be a good mix between modularity and weight, at the price of rarity and being less durable, if that’s even a thing.

Yeah, animations that don’t loop, such as holstering or drawing, can be created.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.