Open Discussion | What if we got rid of skills and skillsets

I go reopen this discut beucause the guy in here 2 months ago have a good opnion about this.

Yes is best remove the Skills and yes we still promote teamwork without skills

Is just place the skills in that you use or not use for example.

Gloves - decrease the recoil
Shoes - Acelerate your speed

and about the crafting itens
why no add a hard machinery to get to make the most complex items?

TRADUCED
The 3.0’s skills system proved to be ridiculous. In my opinion, despite Nelson’s attempts to specify (don’t know what he meant with that) more the skills, it’s been clear that this didn’t help much. In my opinion, the skillset should be “nerfed”, removing the specialization and things like sprint speed, reduce recoil, etc.
I really believe that the facilities before given by the skillset system should be reduced.

My idea: Remove skillsets and give a limited amount of skill points to the player, so the player will not be able to max all skills, having to choose where he is going to be specialized.

2 Likes

Like the sims? Actually, that’s a great idea, I could use it.

IMHO, skill levels should be earned, not bought with Exp. If you shoot a rifle more a lot (and like, you’re hitting a target) then your character is more comfortable wielding a rifle and can perform maintenance and reloading more efficiently and has better steadiness when aiming. Looking to other games often helps when trying to figure out what does and doesn’t work.

I don’t play Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, but I’ve been watching Aavak play it via YouTube, and it looks to be well thought out.

The character creation in said game is quite interesting, and allows you to pick your prior occupation or role in society, your basic attributes, positive and negative attributes, as well as basic skills. Each costs points or (in the case of negative attributes or negative roles(e.g. a junkie or sick patient)) earns points). Your prior role also determines what you start out with on your player. Choosing a well kitted role costs more points and means you have less to spend on your character at start, which means you’ll have to spend the remaining points wisely.

What about Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead?
It’s a rogue like, and honestly, I suck at it, but it seems well fleshed out as far as core mechanics go.

I made that comment a month ago, and I used two fairly well known examples.

Also, it’s worth adding that NEO Scavenger features a system that’s pretty much exactly the same as the one from CCDA.

1 Like

Cool, gonna check that game out then. Also cool that there are already ideas for this.

@Yarrrr actually mentioned your idea @UltimateCatTree in one of my first threads.

But the more I play Unturned the more I just kinda wish skills were gone

If there are no skills whatsoever, the game becomes entirely about what loot the RNG gives you.

You dont believe that this system go give advantages to

time played > skill

and go place very difficulty to new players up in game. As it happens in 3.0?

and in general system of skills rarely are implemented in PvP multiplayer games save the exeption
Call of duty ghosts and unturned (i remenber just this)

1 Like

The problem in 3.0 is that skilslets are useless because you can still train every skill to max, meaning you don’t need other people to survive effectively do they just become walking loot bags…

Skillsets are supposed to work as a class system meaning the medic can’t also be a maxed out farmer…

This also encourages teamwork because you will need people of varying skillsets…

To balance it out you would separate the skills into " general skills" that EVERYONE can train (stamina/cardio,fighting,shooting,etc) and then every survivor has one “special skill” (medical, farming, mechanic, etc)

I feel this would be the best way.

For solo players maybe have a jack of all trades skill but they can’t max out any special skill they instead can train them all half way or something.

1 Like

prime i discord with you first dont is easy you make a good team (in my life of unturned i make many groups but to other players maybe are a thing hard to do)

and other thing this is more less the system of 3.0 this result in a “accumulation of principal skills” giving advantages on top of other players.

and why equal skills dont go reforce the team work? just observe the game rust is impossible play without a team.

my opnion to make team work more present is reduce the damage of all weapons, reduce loot spawn and togheter with this place advantages on clothes, turn bases things extremaly hard to build solo, add a system of blueprint or craftable itens for mid of a research bench.

Too punishing for solo players.

Even people with a group find themselves alone from time to time.

There needs to be a balance between solo and groups, with groups being preferable and solo being manageable enough to still enjoy the game.

There’s this game I used to play called BTD5 and the skills worked you could upgrade two from with side then the third one u have have to choose one or the other

Example

One. More damage for sniper rife.

One. More damage for assault.

Two. Less sway

Two. faster reload

Three. More breath
Or
Three. better recoil

TWO MONTHS later

4 Likes

A tower defense game is completely different from an open world survival game.

As you could imagine having such a linear system is not going to cut it.

1 Like

Hmm ok, but I was thinking if the skills Were like that, then it would remove the problem of players being to get op and get all the skill points.

Sorry if I am annoying, just trying to add ideas.

In 3.0 the skill system barely encourages cooperation with your team. The only real cooperation is when you’re early starting out and someone else on your team has a higher crafting level needed to build something.

It’ll heavily take away from the experience of grinding to make you, your own character better. I would say it would take a lot of enjoyment out of the game, because then it’s more purely based on “I have more loot, better clothes, etc”

A system wherein you actually do a specific thing to get a specific skill trait would be cool to me. People who main certain jobs (IE chopping trees) will get more skills in their job (IE, can chop trees down faster). You shouldn’t be able to kill a bunch of zombies, call it a day, and magically get a bunch of skills in making advanced food, extreme sharpshooter skills, or being able to jump from extreme heights and take little damage

Kill a zombie, upgrade your cooking skills. Nah, i’m not a fan of these.

I wouldn’t really care if skills were removed. But skills should be upgraded by whatever are you doing.
Shooting a zombie/player will upgrade your sharpshooter skills
Running will upgrade any kind of skills that is related to running.
Farming will upgrade your harvesting skills etc etc

And yeah, two months later