Pet peeve regarding weapon damage numbers

First off, Merry Christmas to everybody!

I recently started thinking about how the weapon base damage number in its current form is somewhat meaningless, since all hitbox multipliers are different from 1. I feel like it would make more sense to reduce weapon base damage and adjust the multipliers accordingly. Let’s take a look at the Maplestrike player damage numbers:

Current player base damage: 40

With multipliers applied, damage to different areas becomes:
Head: 44
Torso: 32
Limbs: 24

If set the new base damage to 32,the other multipliers are the following to achieve equal results:
(Torso: 1x)
Head: 1,375x
Limbs: 0,75x

This could be applied more broadly to other weapons, the above is just an illustration of the concept.

To answer why this would even be necessary, the impact would be mostly psychological. Right now, it feels like you are punished for shooting anything other than the head (even then, only marginally rewarded), and with this change implemented you could at the very least shoot naked players in the chest for the listed damage. I also personally dislike the whole concept of “99 damage, 1.1x headshot damage” in general, but that is beside the point. I don’t mind the zombie torso damage multiplier being less than 1 (makes sense intuitively, zombies are typically depicted as very resilient against non-headshots), but the fact that you are unable to deal the listed weapon damage against any naked targets feels a little silly to me.

Now, I also understand that implementing a change like this would require rebalancing all weapons for very little gain. I also don’t see many other people complaining about this aspect of weapon balance in particular, but wanted to voice my opinion in case there are likeminded people out there. Any and all feedback is welcome!

3 Likes

I did a whole vanilla gun rebalancing on my servers since a year ago or so :stuck_out_tongue: if anyone want to check it out
https://fullplomo.tebex.io/balanceo

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.