Plan on paying dev to create custom Democracy bot for Discord. Thoughts?

SINCE WHEN COULD THE WEHRABOO ROAST.

smh non-furries not understanding niche fur references

also wtf is the old pfp

I don’t want to hear that coming from you.

Sorry to cut you off your high horse, but there are no democracies in the world. The last true democracy died along with Athens centuries ago, because they realized that a democracy is the most fucking inefficient system to ever exist, hence why nowadays the closest thing we have is a republic.

tumblr_oshgmrKYiw1r2vajmo1_400

I rest my case.

1 Like

Is it a “democracy” if half its residents cant even vote?

What qualifies as a “true democracy”? Because Athens didn’t seem “truly” democratic, ironically.

:thinking: I rest my case.

A true democracy is a “direct democracy,” where the citizens are allowed to vote directly. Note that this does not mean that the voting is fair, or that all people are allowed to vote equally, it just means that you have to go around asking everyone for their vote on everything, from who is narrating the local festival to whether or not a new sewer system should be built.

1 Like

In attempting to find if ‘true democracy’ exists and if it doesn’t, is it obtainable? For it to be obtainable, a universally accepted definition of democracy will have to be made that can be applied to all nations and political system across the world. Without sounding too pessimistic, this is never going to happen. The only way in which this could be achieved is if there was also a universal system of society, religion and politics across the world.

With such differences across all nations, nationalities, races, religions, ethnicity etc., a universal definition and acceptance is not possible or at best extremely unlikely.

The closest thing that can be achieved to a ‘true democracy’ is by having democracy itself; whatever interpretation and application of it, as being accepted as the true and proper method of all political applications. Having democracy as an ideology universally accepted and the eradication of authoritarianism and autocracy, democracy will take its rightful place as being ‘true’.

tl;dr your definition of what a “true democracy” is, is not the same as mine or others.

1 Like

There, you’ve said it. It’s impossible to have a true democracy, just like how direct democracy doesn’t work.

Also a republic is just a representative democracy. lol

True democracies already exist in most social situations, where people gang up and blame thing on a singular thing, or scapegoat. Its happens in all species because it is a perfectly natural reaction and is beneficial to the species as it curbs unrest, upholds togetherness while also performing natural selection. In day to day this happens and you can see it. Why would anyone ever think that a true democracy would be any different? Its just the same thing but on a larger scale. Seems pretty counter intuitive that you would support it. Obviously you can just say “this is mob rule wahh” but how do you actually prevent mob rule while also upholding fair democracy? People who run for politics also have a high chance to be sociopaths/anti-socials because they want the power, so a decent chunk of the time people in power will be operating for their own beliefs.

So…you just won’t explain what you see as a true democracy? RA definitely wasnt a true democracy lol. IMO a true democracy is a direct democracy and I don’t really see anything against it. Not everyone votes 100% for themselves.

Epic deflection keep it up

2 Likes

I never said it wasn’t. What I meant was that the best method is a representative democracy because it’s literally impossible to have a direct democracy.

There’s not one singular universally accepted definition for democracy that can be used to find the truest example of democracy, but there are governments with enough democratic principles or elements that they can be called democracies in any conversation outside of university level political science classrooms.

Can yall’ shut up about dictatorships?

3 Likes

lol

lol. did you watch the video?

This is extremely subjective, and under my ideas most societies are very objectively undemocratic.

nobody here mentioned RA lol

:sunglasses: all gamers, please rise for the gamer national anthem

bruh that’s literally what this thread is about lmao

i fixed it.

1 Like

did you forget that this thread included democracy in it which is literally begging for politics talk

hush child.

1 Like

ok so since im apparently begging for politics talk, ill post a hot take and you all have fun

this forum is very undemocratic. change my mind.

It really didn’t have to delve into extremely pointless abstract definition and discussion of political terms. It could have stayed as talking about programming a Discord bot, but Pesky posted bait and Pain went all for it.

Alright, here’s the thing. You say all this stuff about democracy and I’m sure you want the best for your server, because you want a fair, democratic, and most of all, free environment.

A problem arises, though. Say, there’s a shift in how the people in your server think. You piss some people off, and they happen to know some people. Now, usually what’s going to happen in a Discord is mass chaos and raiding, but let’s pretend, just pretend for a moment, that the people on your Discord, are, like you, calm, disciplined, reasonable people.

So they call a vote, and it passes. They want you out.

Of course, being the calm, discplined reasonable person you are, you’d agree to their demands and willingly hand over the server?

Definitely not. It’s your server, you went through all that effort to make the server in the first place, so why should you just hand it over willy-nilly?

And so the hammer starts smashing down.

So what’s the point of this, oh, hypothetical situation? Well, this explores one of the negative aspects of a democracy.

By all accounts, the server members are right. They held a vote, they passed it. Some call this tyranny by majority.

But of course, you don’t want that.

You want the opposite end of the spectrum. Which is tyranny by minority. You’ll give your server the illusion of control, but in reality you have the final say in what happens on your server.

So what am I saying? What I’m saying is that you can preach your “democracy” all you want, but at the end it’s just that. You’re not actually insituting a democracy, you’re pretending you have a democracy when in fact you have at best an elite democracy or oligarchy, at worst an autocracy.

But hey, I’m just an armchair general, so what do I know?

1 Like

See the funny thing is the entire hypothetical situation you just explained happened, and instead of handing over power, I stated people could just get promoted to the same power as me, and if that wasn’t good enough they could make their own perfect and better uptopia. So they did.

And people complain about abuse there.

The cycle continues.