Prioritized Item Hanging

In an effort to slowly empty out my U4 Suggestions .txt file…

In Devlog #006, Nelson says the following:

Wearable items with storage can be marked to support a certain number of featured holstered items. This is the replacement for 3’s primary and secondary weapon feature that showed on your back. In this screenshot the rifle is holstered to the rucksack and rattles around with it, but this feature will also be used for example to show pistols in a hip holster, magazines in a chest rig, or a sleeping back [sic] on top of a backpack.

For the most part, this is only an aesthetic feature (that also shows what (potentially scary) loot people have). It may be preferable to make it so that players may manually select the holstered items that appear, and in what state that appear.

Now, this kinda overlaps with some semi-confirmed and/or previously suggested things, such as “quick slots” or magazines needing to be in your chest rig for efficient reloading, but… I don’t really have an excuse for that overlap. The main idea behind making this suggestion post is so that lanterns can hang off backpacks or belts.

Since the item’s state would be chosen by the player, the lantern could be turned on and used as a mobile light source without actually requiring the player to actively carry the lantern in their hands.

Obviously, this helps the player quite a bit if darkness is frequent. So, holstering other items should come with benefits too (such as magazines in a chest rig), or this system can just replace how holstering works as a game mechanic (not just visually, meaning no more [1-9] hotkeys just because you exist).

Walkie-talkies could be placed on your belt, and although you realistically wouldn’t be able to hit the push-to-talk button, at the very least you’d be able to receive messages.

Item states could be changed from the inventory menu, or perhaps even from a separate radial(?) menu that lets you tweak things like your hoodie being zipped up or not, and… just the item state of everything hanging on your person. If this kind of item holstering in Devlog #006 replaced hotkeys, then it’d probably also be the menu where you select the item to use.

:man_shrugging:

It may be important to note that an oil lantern would kinda just extinguish itself from all the oil sloshing around if it was carried on your belt, but an LED camping lantern and any other sort of electric lantern would be realistically functional still.

13 Likes

This has a lot to add for gameplay, is straightforward, and is both practically and mechanically well explained with sources casually cited.

This right here is how you make a suggestion, folks

7 Likes

I still have an in-depth pending post that covers pretty much of all suggested here, based mostly on clothing, equipment and inventory management.

Actually… What kind of in-depth post I don’t have in my to-do list?

3 Likes

The only things here that haven’t been brought up in the inventory suggestion posts after Devlog 6 or replies in those threads is the ability to use radios and lanterns that are holstered (though I could have sworn you’ve already talked about wearing light sources somewhere else) and the idea of having a menu exclusively for setting items to hotkeys, customizing clothing, and setting which items should be accessible to the open. I do not see any benefit from separating hotkey settings and quick access items from the inventory menu and then cluttering their menu with options for how far you roll up your sleeves, button up your shirt, or twist around your baseball cap.

Hence why I didn’t mention such things. I originally considered mentioning something like “twisting around your baseball cap,” but found that stupid.

Zipping up your hoodie is different, considering that’d actually impact temperature (similar to putting your hood on would, which you’ve supported before). I should have elaborated on that snippet more, as to better clarify this.

I was going to have a third paragraph in this reply talking about how I didn’t mean to imply that item hotkeys and item states should be selected from the same radial menu, but apparently I had literally said “they probably would be the same:”

That’s entirely my bad. They should not both take up that radial menu. If hotkeys are replaced by a radial menu, then item states should only be configurable from the inventory, due to

Which was the point you were trying to make by including the remarks about rolling up sleeves and turning baseball caps, although I still hold the opinion that those aren’t comparable to zipping up a hoodie (or putting a hood on).

2 Likes

I think I can see why the state of your hoodie’s zipper would be more relevant than the angle of your cap, (under the reasonable assumptions that temperature mechanics will make it into the game, but protection from glare, sunburn, and debris hitting your eyes wouldn’t be relevant to the game,) but I still don’t understand what’s so fundamentally different between buttoning a shirt and zipping a hoodie and between rolling up sleeves and pulling up a hood.

2 Likes

I mean, if I’m giving hoodie zipping legitimacy due to temperature mechanics, then rolling up your sleeves and/or buttoning up your shirt should make a near equal amount of sense, and I considered acknowledging such in my reply to you, but I guess I just decided that hoodie interaction was just far more likely.

Fundamentally though, they’d be the same. I’ll concede to that now, since I didn’t before.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.