Questions about Unturned II Map Editor

Really hyped for Unturned II Map Editor and I have many questions about it. I understand that there hasn’t been much information released about it but if you somehow know the answer of one or more of my questions, please answer in this format: [Question Number] -Answer. I will edit this post to add stuff whenever a question comes to my mind.

#1 Will it be simple to use like Unturned?
#2 What should be different from Unturned Map Editor?
#3 Will there be an asset editor? (like in Cities: Skylines)
#4 Will there be bigger map options?
#5 Will there be more size, color, style… variety for buildings?
#6 Will mods be easier to use, install and host on a server?

My suggestions (I know this is not the place for suggestions)

• While in the map editor, you could see the GPS and Chart view.
  • ‘‘Play mode’’ so you could easily test your map in a player’s POV.
  • Multiuser map editor (yes it’s possible with the Unreal Engine) or at least an easy map sharing system: the map’s owner could select his contributors (players) and those players could easily hop on the map in the map editor and work from there whenever there is nobody currently working on the map.

Thanks,
AlexGKrause

3 Likes

There is no editor, just unreal.

2 Likes

Hey Alex,

These are all assumptions based off what I have read/ heard. Take everything with a grain of salt.

#1 It will be within the Unreal engine, it is fairly similar, probably a little more complex, as we will have more capabilities.

#3 Not exactly sure how Cities: Skylines works, but within Unreal engine is it possible to edit BSPs and collision meshes and scale and manipulate objects. Does that help?

#4 Probably, Unreal Engine supports large maps, in games like PUBG and Fortnite, although its impossible to say how much better those are networked than Unturned.

#5 This has nothing to do with the editor. As you have unlimited choices to make these and import then into the game. For the vanilla game? Yes, Nelson has expressed wanting randomization for building layouts and colors.

#6 Yes. We will be able to use UE4’s blueprint editor to mod the game, using visual scripting which can’t really get easier. Also have you seen Unturned 3 modding/ modules? It couldn’t get any harder…

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @HoldBaker HoldBaker, I’m only afraid that the map editor will be too complicated but here’s what Nelson told me: “The map editor is essentially equivalent to the Unreal editor, along with Unturned-specific features.” What I am hoping for is a map editor without all the other Unreal Engine over-complicated tools and settings. Another question, let’s say I make a new building with the help of the ‘‘Asset Editor’’ (btw, what should I call that thing?) and then I put that object in my map, will I need to upload that new object to the Steam Workshop for other players to play my map and see the custom made building? What I’m thinking is that it’s essentially a resembling program that modders use right? Sorry if I make it sound like I don’t know much, it’s because I don’t know much about Unreal Engine :stuck_out_tongue:. I already tried to make a map on there and it was way too complicated for a new guy like me and I only hope it will not be the same.

1 Like

If you aren’t able to figure out how to make maps for UII when it comes out there will most likely be at least a few people making video tutorials on it. I need to start figuring out how to use the Unreal Engine myself though so I can’t offer any help with using it.

1 Like

Go into the 3.X editor and click to bake GPS, and as your framerate drops, and perhaps the window stops responding, carefully consider whether or not you want thr game to constantly be doing a detailed render of the entire map, which very likely may be a bigger map than any official map seen in previous versions.

Good point but I was more thinking about a map view that you would manually have to update as normal. I’m also expecting the Unreal Engine Editor to have a better performance.

I don’t think we will have a solid answer to any of these questions currently

What a useless response!

It’s the most accurate response as well. Nobody has a clue to the answers - not even Nelson tbh.

By that Spebby meant in a sarcastic way (eventough it’s true) that you’re posting way to much for no reason, saying the sky is blue ain’t helpful.

1 Like

Well yeah, but I only said it so no one else can go and answer it and spew false hopes/hype. Will the map editor be simple to use? It might be super simple and efficient, it might be awful. We won’t know until it’s made and no one else besides Nelson can really answer it, at least until we can see the map editor.

I can agree to both of your comments! :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.