Refilling cars straight from the gas pump

Its kinda stupid how in 3.0 you have to have a gas can to refuel your car even if you are parked right next to the gas pump. In unturned 2 it should be possible to refuel cars straight from the pump as long as the gas cap of your car is within a few meters of the gas pump.

7 Likes

Well, it might be interesting, the problem is that the pump needs power, so it would be interesting that in order to refuel the car directly from the pump, the player must plug it into a generator first, which can be a fuel generator, or a generator with solar panels, etc.

14 Likes

Another thing I may add is the fact that you gotta pump the gas from the gas pump or gas can into the gas hole and not just pour it over your car and its fueled.

2 Likes

You need power for the pump to get it in a gas can as well

1 Like

But for gameplay purposes, let’s pretend it’s possible to collect without electricity :wink:

How about we go with how it’s like in project zomboid and you need electricity for BOTH

While this is technically correct, just be aware that for any other fuel container (including the fuel tanks of vehicles), it is possible to just siphon the fuel out using a siphon pump, hose, or other tubular object.

I’d like to see siphoning present in UII, and make it the only way to get fuel out of a vehicle or fuel tank. Fuel pumps should still require electricity to operate though.

EDIT: I’d also like to see siphoning be usable for various other applications where necessary, such as piping water between two large containers silently but slowly. Other than just generally moving fluids, this could play a huge role in automation.

4 Likes

It could be, but my fear is that cars will become useless, running out of fuel every moment because there is no way to refuel them at stations without a generator.
Unless we use the engine of the car as a generator, with that we will get gas in the gallon and the gallon we will put in the car, then we will have a refueled vehicle, but it seems unnecessarily complex.

Steal leftover gas from abandoned cars and / or missing parts.

2 Likes

It’s implied that there are a lot of other ways to hook up a gas pump to an electrical source that doesn’t specifically involve a fueled portable generator.

That being said, cars are supposed to be difficult to sustain in a zombie apocalypse where fuel is a limited resource (and IRL even aviation fuel goes stale after two years, but I’ll assume for your case that Nelson isn’t going that hardcore). Gas pumps are a main source of fuel but you can also have other sources - in U3, this is in the form of large spherical fuel tanks, but there may be other relatively easy ways of getting fuel in UII.

The primary use of siphoning in games I’m aware of that have it as a feature is exactly that, removing and transferring fuel from vehicular fuel tanks.

As for salvaging and interchanging vehicle parts, it’s an idea that’s very widely supported and I’d say that Nelson has hopefully taken notice of that as a future mechanic.

I may or may not also have a second vehicle overhaul mega-suggestion in my huge backlog of posts right now.

2 Likes

I think a siphoning mini minigame could be implemented and used everytime you want to move gas from someplace to another without a functional (powered?) pump. This could be from pump/tank to can, pump to car (pumps could have nozzles), car to can (stealing from others), or even can to can. The minigame could have to do with timing, where you hold down a key/mouse button. Too short and the siphon won’t start, too long and your health could slightly decrease from a mouthfull of gas.

This is a fun replacement for the instant and easy fuel system that unturned 3 had. All it consisted of was left and right clicks.

Additionally and emphasis could be put on fuel tanks (U3 usually had one per gas station) instead of pumps. Realistically it would be impossible to get a pump to work without power as they are pumping from underground tanks.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.