Sentrys Rework

I dont think ive ever seen anyone ever use the orange sentries. What if the green sentry’s were completely neutral, shooting only zombies, the orange one would only shoot if the player punches or pulls out a gun that isn’t on safety, and the red one stays the same? Then a black one that shoots anything that moves. Could we also have the ability to cycle the sentry types in the craft menu?

Isn’t that already what the red sentry does? If you mean a red that just holds fire on still targets, I don’t see many uses for that that can’t be accomplished in some way with the other two.

I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen anything but the hostile sentry being used in gameplay. The zombie-only sentry could be a thing to consider though.

yea, sorry about that, I should’ve elaborated more. A black one shoots everyone, including the owner and animals.

Sentries as they are now already shoot animals, but what would the point of shooting the owner as well be?

I’m not sure what OP’s reasoning is, but maybe they want it for RP/flavor purposes or some kind of risk-reward scenario.

The only somewhat practical use for it I could imagine is if you want to hide the fact that you own a base or something - if people see the base sentries shooting at all players nobody could figure out who owns it as easily, whereas with a red sentry people could see who it doesn’t shoot at and deduce they own the base.

That’s a stretch but the only thing I could think of.

1 Like

I already made a big post of ideas for the game pointing out that sentries need a rework, like:

• They’re not infinite
  • They won’t reload itself if they have more magazines on it
  • They’re weak, they need only like 6 high caliber shoots to get destroyed
  • Their fire rate is lower just because yes
  • But also they’re hard to craft because they need rangefinders

And is not like they need ALL of these things to make sentries better, but at least some of them may get improved to make sentries actually more useful, because lets be honest, you’re trying to raid a sentry, you only need like 10 dressings to fill out their ammo while healing yourself and thats all, or just shoot at them from like 75 m and thats all, I don’t think sentries worth what they’re right now, at least on maps like Elver they’re infinite. Even at least making the Green and Yellow ones having more health because they’re not that useful for PvP, i dont know, there are ways to improve the sentries, but everything around it is just caring about it :coy_smile_zombie_:

I agree they need a buff but that would be pretty silly, they aren’t supposed to be used for PvP

Made a mod for that good idea tbh Steam Workshop::Infinite Vanilla Sentry

1 Like

Woah actually thats pretty cool, no idea you were that same guy who have made all those workshop items to improve the vanilla game, I’ve been following you since some time ago xD

I’m glad you like them! Giving them infinite ammo is a pretty good idea since there’s no other way to buff them with how bad they are lol.

Totally agree about sentries being weak
Personally i would like to see fortified versions of sentries or just an overall buff to their HP.
In perfection it would be cool to have 3 tiers of sentries in terms of armor - 1 default ones, 2nd armored with more HP, 3rd - immune to explosions (however explosion immunity might be broken for some bunker like bases so its not really balanced)

That would be cool to add! I’d rather do some sort of branching tier though - armored sentries with more health and long range sentries that can shoot further but don’t have armor

1 Like

That’s a really good idea too, I might make a mod for that and credit you for the idea ofc. Prolly would do something like:

Vanilla Sentry > 2x Health Armored Sentry > 4x Health Heavy Sentry (also has more space so it can take a hell’s fury)

or

Vanilla Sentry > 2x Range Long Range Sentry > 3x Range Advanced Sentry

1 Like