Separate physical damage types

Recently, I’ve gotten into Warframe and have noticed a small thing that could be very interesting to see in Unturned II: physical damage types. In U3, all damage dealt is pure raw damage, where every weapon deals the same basic type of damage only hindered by percentage-based clothing damage reduction.

Different damage types would allow for more skillful gameplay, with a focus on aiming not just for the head, but for where the weapon would truly deal more damage, which also brings in a new dimension to armor, which would now include the limbs more effectively. It is the second most effective type against Animals.

Weapons can have more than just one damage at a time, and will often depend from the attack mode and ammo.

The damage would be divided into three types:

• Impact Impact_a
  • Slash Slash_a
  • Puncture Puncture_a

The names are rather self-explanatory, but I’ll elaborate more:

Impact

Impact damage comes from blunt weapons and sometimes from large caliber guns. Impact deals:

• Bonus damage to the head, torso and spine, but has reduced effectiveness to the gut and limbs against players
  • Stagger and stun effects to zombies, as well as the ability to knock them over when shot in the legs
  • Bonus damage to structures and hard clothing durability (armor), but little to effect on soft clothing
  • Average damage to animals

Sources of Impact:

• Blunt Weapons (Hammers, Bats)
  • Broader types of ammunition (.45 ACP, 7.62x39, etc.)
  • Impact-based ammunition (Slugs, Hollow-Points, etc.)

Protection from Impact comes in the form of padded clothing, such as most kind of sport protection apparel, heavy clothing (like coats), foam inserts for helmets and vests and gel-based backings for plate carriers.

Slash

Slash damage comes from sharp weapons and some types of ammo. Slash deals:

• Bonus damage to limbs, along with being very effective to the gut. Severly reduced effectiveness to the head and torso against players
  • Bleeding to zombies, making them hemorrhage 'till death
  • Bonus damage to foliage/netting and to soft clothing
  • Less damage to most animals

Sources of Slash damage:

• Stab and swipe attacks from knives, swords
  • Specialized ammunition (Hollow-points)

Protection from slash damage comes from more rugged clothing, such as coats, military BDUs, and cut-proof uniforms.

Puncture

Puncture comes from sharp weapons and all types of ammunition. Puncture deals:

• Bonus damage to the head and torso, but less to the gut and limbs against players
  • Punch-through damage to zombies, as in the bullet will continue from zombie to zombie with little to no stop
  • Minimal damage to structures, foliage or clothing durability
  • Heavy damage upon animals. It is the most effective type, except when the gut is hit

Sources of Puncture damage:

• Stab attacks
  • All ammunition
  • Specialized ammunition (Armor-Piercing)

Protection from Puncture comes from hard-type clothing, such as armor.

Symbiosis between damages

Not all weapons have all types, some have 2, some have one, some have them depending on the attack.

Knives would always deal Slash damage from swipe attacks, and would also deal Puncture damage from stabbing.

All kinds of ammo deal Puncture, with calibers differing in percentage of Puncture and with added damage types.
For example:

• 5.56x45 has 66% Puncture, 20% Impact and 14% Slash
  • .22 LR is 100% Puncture
  • 7.62x39 has 50% Puncture, 50% Impact
  • AP rounds are 95% Puncture, 5% Slash
  • HP rounds are 20% Puncture, 30% Impact and 50% Slash

Damages are applied in order of the effectiveness of the targets armor and of the ammo.
The most effective damage type is used to determine if it affects the armor, and the damage will then proceed to damage the flesh
For example:

• Target is wearing a lvl IIIA plate and is shot in the torso by a 5.56: The bullet will Puncture, as it is the base damage type. It will then deal 86% of it’s damage to the target, as Slash is ignored from not doing extra damage to the chest.
  • Target is wearing a lvl V plate and is shot in the torso by a 7.62x39: the bullet will not puncture as it does not have the necessary force. It will only deal 50% of it’s damage to the player, while breaking the plate, at which point the Puncture will affect and thus deal 100% of it’s damage.
  • Target does not have any armor and is shot in the torso: target receives full damage.

TL;DR: Different damage types affect body parts differently from each other and are affected differently by different types of armors.

21 Likes

@Pork your post is invalid now.

Jokes aside, this seems pretty cool, we definitely need different types of Melee attacks, because right now it’s pretty boring that the only difference between clubs and blades is that one damages things more. If something like this were to be added imagine all the kinds of Combos that would be possible, slash em’ with a knife then hit em’ over the head with a club.
Thank you for this post, my good friend.

Anyways here’s Wonderwall.

6 Likes

I really wish I had more to say but every one of your posts is just so satisfactorily worded that I end up just leaving behind a like instead. Every fucking time.

Stop making perfectly logical suggestion posts goddammit

3 Likes

Impact_a = Impact

Slash_a = Slash

☭ = ???

4 Likes

☭ = generic unfunny joke about communism

1 Like

I guess that works. But what type of damage does it do?

1 Like

Deals psychic damage procs: mentally dumbs you down for trying to follow a stereotype instead of trying to have any character and personality.

1 Like

Hmmmmmm. Wouldn’t it do hunger-based damage as well?

1 Like

sips milk yep

1 Like

I agree that there should be different types of wounds from different types of attacks, (as has already been mentioned in countless posts, especially medically focused ones) but I disagree that they should be implemented as damage types from Warframe.
The way I see it, impact or blunt damage is the normal damage as we saw in 3.X, that simply subtracts a number of hitpoints based on the source of damage, hit location, and armor over that location (although 4.X might have damage effect by how far the hit location is from the source and what objects the attack passes through to reach said location, instead of an armor value being applied to the whole of a body part.)
Cuts and punctures, as well as other effects, such as burns, embedded projectiles, and risks of infection, should IMO be more akin the bleeding effect in 3.X, than a separate type of damage. Yes, there should be more types and levels of severity among these status effects, and more factors to determine the likelihood and/or severity of them to be applied, compared to 3.X but they should be a few of the many medical conditions that might be included with their own complexities and balancing features, not the triumvirate of direct damage types.

tldr: all direct damage from both sharp and blunt weapons should be the same, cuts and punctures should be medical conditions not different types of direct damage.

its funy to me !

Like CDDA? CDDA had Blunt, Cut, and Pierce damage types, along with the odd Burn and Acid. So yeah, sounds fun.

This might help with hunting animals, it would make it so you have to do a certain damage type or hit in a certain spot to get any meat from them.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.