Skybase Poll

Things like Skybases isn’t the matter of realism. It’s an exploitation of current game mechanics to gain an advantage.

They are generally frowned upon, and shouldn’t exist. The only way to combat sky bases is if simple structural integrity is added to the game.

4 Likes

There should be a less retarded equivalent. Such as, building houses on pillars that are hard to get to, lockable elevators, and that sort of thing. Because skybases are fun, just really stupid.

Actually there isn’t, but you’ve probably made one yourself; how the hell are skybases balanced in Unturned? Realistically talking, they’d be OP if they were possible to build IRL, as a start, but as they aren’t, then those end representing a really ridiculous advantage on gameplay terms that just doesn’t fit in any way with the kind of game we’re talking about.

Everyone is arguing about whether its a good or bad idea, but the answer lies in expected usage of building. When Nelson designed it he intended it to be a way for you to store your items safely and have a home. The skybases are an unintended feature because there is no building physics system.

Of course, unintended features are sometimes good for certain games, heck a lot of games are designed around them. (Remember rocket jumping from TF2? that was because of a “bug” in quake) That being said, Nelson has never expressed his support for them, and has never done anything to make skybases more viable (I.E. adding a teleporter system so you can get there and back easier.)

While I can’t speak for Nelson, I am almost certain that he did not intend to have sky bases in the game, and therefore most likely will not include them in the next.

1 Like

im pretty sure i saw something from nelson about a basic physics system for buildings, and if im right this tread is pointless

1 Like

Doesn’t sound right

could be bad memory though

Bases composants should have physics mechanics that make we must attach them to the ground, otherwise they fall

I wasn’t even hinting at an allusion to a reference to whether I think sky bases are or aren’t balanced, how they could be balanced, or whether it’s even possible to balance them. I have no idea what you are trying to ask me about. All I was trying to ask is what you meant by “OP gameplay” because that phrase simply doesn’t make any sense to me. And I would disagree that a focus on gameplay over realism was a problem with Unturned 3.X, but that the problems of 3.X were largely caused by lack of focus on what kind of gameplay it should have and on how optimized and futureproof the game is.

With OP gameplay I mean any set of mechanics or features that allows players to take advantage from stuff that they aren’t supposed to do, that encourages counter-intuitive behavior because of how much easier it is to do it that way or that just makes the game a very EZ cheezy PZ thing to play because of how simple is to sort most of the obstacles or barriers that the game or other players throw at you.

Just take a look at 3.X’s third person and movement mechanichs as example: you can peek corners from total safety then engage your opponents on an unfairly advantageous surprise attack. Why is it game breaking? Because of all those times that, no matter how much actual tactical or strategic knowledge I have, the guys will come out from their covers jumping and running like clowns with chili and red ants in their pants spraying bullets at you and winning every single damn time.

Gameplay can be real smooth without being limited nor overpowered, and that’s the objective that our suggestions should be going for.

The deal with skybases is that apart from being real OP, also ignore a very fundamental thing:

G R A V I T Y

I can point out a big lot of stuff in 3.X that was implemented for the sake of gameplay and is is incredibly game breaking not just IMO, but also on many people’s.

Skybases are the only one, that stays longer then a day.
With out skybases i would never build a base again.

AtomSplinter: It’s a game not the real life. Skybases are the only way for a base to stay longer then your online.

indecipherable
1 MONTH LATER

But raiding may be fixed. Without lmg and rifle structure damage and easy obtainable powerful explosives

one month isn’t that bad tho, you should know.

but i agree that this thread was basically done.

The fact that he is arguing for skybases
PSX_20181201_164208

4 Likes

Yeah, just a game… A Hardcore Survival game, which is meant to be realistic enough not to allow the damn OP and unrealistic skybases.

Also that: raiding MUST be fixed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.