[Solved] Can't spawn custom house object in editor

Made a custom house using ExampleAssets.unitypackage and Project.unitypackage followed by using the Unturned Bundle Tool. After placing the folder in Unturned>Bundles>Objects it does not spawn in the editor when I press ‘E’. I have tried placing the folder in the Objects>Large>Buildings yielding the same result.

In the House1.dat file I removed the GUID and let the game generate one, I’ve tried using and not using the line “Has_Clip_Prefab false”. I’ve also tried using the line “LOD Mesh”. The ID is 40100 and I am currently not subscribed to anything from the workshop.

Folder Location:
house_location

The RAM_House1.dat txt file

GUID d5e5a27ef30d4449bff7adedbf6efad1
Type Large
ID 40100

Material_Palette 87aba6cecf1c40788e98ab17a1c38783

Exclude_From_Master_Bundle

English.dat

Name RAM House #1

The only 4 lines that mention the house object from the Client Logs

Unable to read header from archive file: D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Unturned/Bundles/Objects/RAM_House1/RAM_House1.unity3d
Failed to read data for the AssetBundle 'RAM_House1.unity3d'.
(Object) RAM_House1 [40100]: missing "Object" GameObject
(Object) RAM_House1 [40100]: missing Nav GameObject. Highly recommended to fix.

what does the unity setup look like

I believe you’re referring to files and folders? This is how I have everything set up:

The building icons weren’t tilted earlier. Not sure why they are now

The house1 folder contains the Clip, Nav, Object, Skybox and Slots.

can I see what the house1 folder looks like, as well as what the setup is for clip, nav, and object

House1 folder

Clip

Nav

Object

try changing the name of the skybox mesh to something else, like model_3. I remember that causing issues, to fix the navmesh issue make sure the mesh is set to read/write enabled. You can also get rid of the rigidbody components, those I’m pretty sure are not necessary. What do the model_0-3 objects look like inside of the object folder?

The tutorial I was following didn’t mention enabling read/write for the mesh only the texture image. That did fix one of the errors. I changed the name of the skybox to Model_3 and I will rebundle.

Model_0

Model_1

Model_2

I think the read/write thing is recent because all of my navmeshes stopped working at one point. Asked Danaby if there was anything he could think of and that suggestion was the only thing that worked. let me know if rebundling worked

I am now only met with two errors. I did change the ID and let the game generate a new GUID earlier. Shows up under the large object list in the editor but won’t spawn.

(Object) RAM_House1 [40100]: missing "Object" GameObject
(Object) RAM_House1 [40100]: missing Nav GameObject. Highly recommended to fix.

The Object setup matches one that is working for me. Normally, I would say it has something to do with where you put the files into Unturned but that doesn’t appear to be the case here.

I don’t know anything specific so I’ve got one question just to make sure it isn’t anything dumb. How are you bundling the mod? With your setup you should be going into the Assets folder, selecting house1, then clicking Grab in the bundle tool and bundling it.

If you’ve tried bundling the vanilla examples and didn’t have any issues there, then I’ve got no idea.

Yes that is correct. I stay in the Asset folder, then I left click once on the house1 folder followed by clicking Grab under the Bundle Tool. I then click “Bundle house1”, drop the house1.unity3d in my RAM_House1 folder. That folder is located under Unturned>Bundles>Objects and it does show up under in the editor just can’t spawn in.

Which version of unity are you using? I read somewhere that the error missing "Object" GameObject can be caused by using the wrong version of unity. I’m currently using Unity 2020.3.48f1 Personal

I don’t mind starting from scratch. Is there a specific setup for Unity that I need to use? I’ve been importing the Project.unitypackage first then the ExampleAssets.unitypackage. After that I place my house1.blend in the assets folder of my project, I then use Barracks_4 as a template, change the meshes, skybox, texture, etc. then I bundle the house1 folder. I’m following this video, timestamped to the Unity part.

Would it help if I recorded my process from using Blender to Unity to Bundling the folder?

2020.3.38f1, this won’t be a version issue

I believe the two unitypackages are independent of each other, I would keep importing Project first to avoid any potential issues with tags/layers being reset.

That video should be fine, some parts of the Unity process may have been made optional since the video was made but that shouldn’t affect anything.

If there truly is an issue with where the file is in the game files, I would try moving to the maps folder instead. Create and save an empty map in the editor, add a Bundles folder, and move your mod folder inside of it. If there is no change, I can’t see anything else that’d be a potential problem.

I am able to bundle this object just fine so that’s what I’m comparing it to.

If it’s alright, would you mind checking out my process and steps I take when making the object? I recorded a short video. I removed the video as the issue was the wrong unity version I made sure to cutout all the long importing processes and sped up anything that wasn’t important and included some timestamps.

I’m sure I missed some box that I needed to check or used the wrong name or file structure. I’ve only just started learning how to create custom mods as of two days ago. I appreciate the help.

TLDR: Wrong Unity version. Downgraded to using Unity 2020.3.38f1 and also added the line Asset_Bundle_Version 4 to the .dat

The issue was that I was using the wrong unity version. At the time of this post I was using Unity 2020.3.48f1 and after downgrading to Unity 2020.3.38f1, rebundled the model and added the line Asset_Bundle_Version 4 to the .dat file I am now able to spawn the house in, the slots work and the navigation for the zombies bakes properly as well. From what I’ve been told anything above 2020.3.38f1 will not work and only everything below it except for 2020.3.36f1.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.