Staged Reloading

I know that previously @RedCo and @RainOfPain125 have suggested improved reloading to U2. I would like to build upon their suggestions in a new feature that would be very fitting for improved gunplay in U2. I suggest a staged reloading mechanic to be added. To explain this better, I will provide an example from the current demo of the game to my proposed feature. In the current demo, you are unable to cancel the reload of a gun. This means if you stage a reload, you cannot put your gun away at all, you are forced to go through the entire animation until you are finally able to put the gun away. This is just like the gunplay situation in Unturned 3.0. If you perform a reload and are in desperate need to switch your weapon due to a rapid change in circumstances, you will be forced to be a sitting duck until the reload animation finishes. Staged Reloading would fix this. In the same scenario that you are reloading and want to change to your weapon, your character will put the gun away at whatever part of the reload stage they are in and switch their weapon. Let’s say while reloading, your character pulled out the gun’s magazine. If you cancel the reload, the gun will be lacking a magazine in it once you switch out. If you go back to this gun, there will still be no magazine in it. You can finish the remaining reload by putting in the magazine it needs. In another example, let’s say you reloaded an empty gun and successfully put in a new full magazine, but you cancelled the reload before you cocked the weapon. If you put said gun away and pull it out again, you would have to finish the reload by cocking the gun in order to fire. As RedCo explained in his reload post in April of 2018, I expect this staged reloading mechanic would be introduced along with single reloads, interruptible reloads, clip reloads etc. If a non empty magazine is removed from the gun, there will still be a single bullet chamber left in the gun to fire (depending on what gun it is, of course).
Here are some video demonstrations to make it easier to visualize this feature from the work in progress games '83 and Afterconflict.

From 2:56 to 3:33 ^
Here I conclude my suggestion, but perhaps something in the future that would be a neat suggestion as a follow-up to this would be being able to use a tactical reload and normal reload, each with their own advantages. Be open to discussion in replies about this either features.

6 Likes

this is for my dogs, this is for my dogs.

1 Like

I may wanna add something aswell if it hasn’t been mentioned didnt look through everything. In Escape from Tarkov you have a fast reload where the magazine is dropped to speed up the process of reloading by pressing the reload key 2 times this may aswell should make a apperance. Players I assume would then be more careful instead of mashing the reload key like there is no tomorrow.

6 Likes

Let them harm their fingers if they want, it doesn’t affect anyone other than themselves if they get a bit too happy with the R key. Speed reload could still be something to consider though but not through through the perspective of “punish those who spam the reload button”.

1 Like

Yes, I mentioned this at the end of my post.

This would be a fine addition to the game in my opinion, double tapping the reload key would perform a tactical reload which drops the magazine on the ground. Tapping the reload key once would perform a normal but slower reload, which puts the magazine into your inventory.

I’m just throwing an idea out here. Perhaps it wouldn’t be a half bad idea to add mag loops (or other grips, etc.) as something you could add / craft into your magazines. But I’m not sure whether people would want it to be a one and done thing for any magazines you put into the weapon. I assume that most would want it to be craft / add to each individual magazine. Maybe smaller mags could be added, though I don’t see many people using small mags even if it were added. With the trade-off of ammo capacity for speed. I’m not saying to replace the idea(s) mentioned above with this, but as another option alongside the aforementioned ideas.

1 Like

Magazine loops sound like a pretty good idea actually. I’d say having them be reusable would be pretty worthwhile to craft them. I’d also suggest having bigger capacity magazines having longer reload times and longer ADS times. For example, a drum magazine would have a longer ADS time compared to a gun with a normal magazine. Small magazines, such as 20 round 5.56 magazine would have a slightly faster reload time compared to a 30 round magazine.

Right same as my thinking. Though I’d like to have an option of being able to give a skill or some other thing to lessen, but not completely negate the delayed times for ADS, etc. Another thing, unrelated to this topic, I’d like to see is perhaps more special ammo types. Such as .300 black out or sub-sonic rounds of course they’d have to be balanced in some way, but I’d love to see something like this added. Though, I don’t know how it’d work with regards to specific weapons and other complexities that come with these things.

1 Like

Great idea on the more ammunition, but I believe skills should flat out not be a thing at all in U2. We all saw how 3.0 was with the sharpshooter and dexterity skills, turning any gun into a weapon that required no aim. In order to improve a stat such as ADS, I’d suggest adding attachments that help this action.

2 Likes

Actually you know what that sounds like a pretty good idea. I was just going off of what we do and don’t have or things that would be nice to see changes for.

1 Like

Along the subtopic of ammunition, I believe U2 should also make tracers actually useful. Currently in 3.0, tracer magazines only serve to make your bullets colorful and a tiny stat boost to the weapon (I cannot remember if said stat boost is less spread or recoil.) In U2, normal ammunition should not be visible at all. Only tracers and other special ammunition should be visible. This will make tracers much more viable and make normal ammunition require more precise firing and skill as you cannot see where your bullets are going. In 3.0, the sole purpose of tracers were rendered obsolete because you could see your shots easily even if you were firing normal rounds instead of tracers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.