Stamina and Guns

Dude, no offense, but you’re seriously taking it too far with the information
Just let it slide

General purpose machine guns were introduced to fill multiple roles, having bipods and light designs to allow them to be used in the role of light machine guns

and yet LMGs are still frequently used…and the main point of this half of the conversation was that you said they’d been made obsolete by GPMGs…which isn’t true…so…shut fuck up, my dude.

If you sprint for half a second, it would only take half a second to recover

tell that to 3.0

Actually you guys are right, sprinting and weapon handling shouldn’t be directly connected, but then neither should melee attacks be directly connected to sprinting.

:thinking:

Melee attacks being connected to sprinting would actually make sense.

Lets say you’re full on barreling down on some poor zombie with a sledge hammer and then you swing. All that force from your speed should directly increase the speed of your strike.

I think a momentum system would definitely be nice to see. The longer you run the more speed you build up (you’d go from walking to a light jog to running to a full sprint).

But this whole “aiming down the sights takes away your stamina” thing makes zero sense and would make gameplay unfun.

I was referring to the fact that sprinting and (strong) melee attacks rely on the same stat as each other in 3.X, which is just as unrealistic and unfun as having firearm manipulation and sprinting share the same stat.

But… its not?

You’re basically telling me that if I swing a sledgehammer as hard as I can 3-5 times I can magically run just as fast as I could before doing that? That I wouldn’t be at least somewhat out of breath?

It makes complete sense for heavy melee attacks to drain your stamina. It balances out being able to do a bunch of heavy attacks, then running full sprint away from zombies. Of course, that’s still really easy to do in 3.0, but hey.

Meanwhile simply aiming down the sights of something doesn’t suddenly impact your performance when it comes to running. I’ve shot a fair amount of firearms and I can safely say they don’t suddenly tire you out. There’s a good reason we use guns nowadays over bows and swords, because both of those drain your stamina when used repeatedly.

Firearms don’t suddenly tire you out, and that was never what I had proposed. What I did propose is that trying to shoulder certain weapons should drain stamina over time, since some weapons IRL are impractical to use. I didn’t say that sprinting and meleing should be completely independent, just that they shouldn’t directly impact each other. I’m thinking maybe arm stamina and leg stamina could be separate factors, which affect eachother’s recovery or some such. (I’m still trying to work out the details, and the names should definitely be changed, but I think I’ve made the general idea a bit clearer)

Please stop talking about different machines guns. As far as most people care, a Rifle is a single shot bolt action/semi auto gun. An assault rifle is a precision gun which your average military soldier uses, and a machine gun is f*cking badass.

1 Like

We already had stopped. (Most people are quite uneducated about firearms, and shouldn’t be consulted/s)

Oh really?

You never specified.

Also, when it comes to LMGs, an average person can hold and aim with it for a good amount of time before starting to lose strength because of the sheer weight of that thing. Especially a full blown minigun which can’t be carried at all by 1 person.

I would say that ADS-ing with Machine Guns for too long should start draining energy but not an instant stamina drain as soon as you shoulder it. Same with every other gun, but with less of an effect. Because when it comes to firearms, assault rifles aren’t heavy. So aiming down the sights with one won’t lessen your stamina. Machine guns however, will after an extended period
Also, let’s ditch this “gun knowledge” shit because it’s gonna kead us nowhere. This is a game. Keep in mind that no one is gonna keep aiming down sights for more than 2 minutes unless they’re prone, camping with a sniper, and waiting for someone to show up (in which there’s a PvP situation since that would waste a lot of scavenging time in a survival situation). Also, aiming down sights has its downfalls. If you have a scope, your sensitivity will be reduced and your FoV will decrease. If you have iron sights, the iron sights and the gun itself will be blocking a good chunk of your screen, giving you less vision. So you can tell that ADS-ing for too long can be a pain in the ass. Don’t think it needs nerfing

the most that shouldering a weapon does is make your arms tired, and the most firing it does is hurt your shoulder. that doesn’t put you out of breath.

I never said anything about being out of breath, and already ceded that arm and leg endurance are separate, and should be in Unturned.

I had been using the word drain to imply a reduction over time, I think I picked up that connotation from RPGs so I guess I shouldn’t have assumed everyone would interpret it the same way I did.
I hadn’t specifically named assault rifles, but I did mention that machine guns are more exhausting to aim than pistols, I didn’t think I’d need to mention everything in between, and I deliberately was ambiguous about whether pistols would suffer from the affect at all, because I wasn’t sure if it is relevant to anything other than long rifles and machine guns.

As for the ‘gun knowledge’ conversation:

The only gun that would be okay to drain your energy over time is the LMG
Everything else isn’t heavy. So if you keep aiming your LMG for (let’s say) a minute, then your energy starts going down slowly

Antimateriel rifles (like the Grizzly) and to a lesser extent musket length firearms also tend to be tiring to use unsupported, given how muzzle heavy (bad leverage) they are, but eh, we don’t have to agree on all the little details. The reason I brought up the idea, is that machine guns are pretty meh in 3.X, to balance their high capacities, so I was thinking they could be given more realistic DPS, but at the cost of decreased effectiveness when the player doesn’t have the time or positioning to get them set up.

Tbh no one snipes with a grizzly while standing because the weapon sway is horrible, especially with a 16x scope.
Everyone snipes while prone to reduce exposure and sway. I do agree that a heavy sniper rifle would reduce energy after aiming for too long (should take more time than the LMG)

This is still going on?
Can’t we agree on something yet?
:sweat_smile:

I think we did

Some random kid picks up a fallen enemy’s sniper. He can just grizzly spam your team out because a Barret 50. cal rifle does nothing to him besides recoil.