Starry Night Sky

The Unturned night sky is very bland boring, and only has stars. But one nice thing about it is that the stars twinkle, and there are some of the moon phases. I just found that out when typing this. 2019-06-12T04:00:00Z No one ever looks up unless it’s an airdrop, or there are enemies flying towards you. Now here are my ideas:

Constellations and Stars

After a while, GPS will become useless during an apocalypse because they are not up to date. Ground control tells them to make updates. And the maps for Unturned 2 are supposed to be big. “While the satellites may last 10 years their signals be useless very quickly. You should not rely on GPS in a PAW after a few weeks.” (Source) Back in the days, we used constellations and stars for navigation. During slavery in America, slaves used the North Star to know which way is north. Using that star also helped people navigate the seas because they know which way is south, east, or west using that star. But this star can only be seen in the northern hemisphere and be seen in parts of the southern hemisphere depending on the earth’s tilt, so some had to use constellations in the southern hemisphere. People used the constellations to tell which way is north, south, east, or west.

The Fricken Galaxy

Seeing the galaxy is a very rare, but an exciting occurrence. It is very situational. For this to occur in game there must be no light sources around you. “December and January it is impossible to view the richest part of the Milky Way.* October and February are generally impossible, too. The optimum viewing time in the Northern Hemisphere is in the summer when the sun is on the opposite side of the sky. Those in the Southern Hemisphere have an advantage – longer and cooler nights during winter mean the air is clearer. Facing south during April and May the pre-dawn hours are best. From June to early August the best time is near midnight, though the Milky Way will be visible almost all night. From Mid August through September the best time is soon after the sun has set and the sky has grown dark. If you live above 65 degrees north, you will never see the Milky Way core because it never rises above your local horizon.” (Source) Some things you need to take into account are the moon’s phases and how cloudy it is because the moon reflects sunlight to your eyes, and cloud reflect light into the atmosphere. It must be a New Moon so you can see the Milky Way on a clear day. Light pollution wouldn’t really matter because it’s the apocalypse. I think it would be easy to add a world image of it into unreal.

How the Image Should Act

Stars should twinkle, and the image should rotate like how it is like in real life because of the Earth’s rotation.

49UTKT6TfaVRxmIFTmJS_polarois
Here’s what I mean.

What it Should look like

During the winter and autumn, it should have some kind of blueish and sometimes purplish color mixed with some black in areas. during spring it should look closer to this:
Night-Skies-for-Bushwalkers-this-Spring-2
And during summer it should look like this:

Fireflies

Fireflies should just be a random burst of light you see at night during late spring to summer. I have never realized until this year that they kind of communicate. They have a small burst of 1 to 3 lights. It would just add a bit of immersion.

12 Likes

the demo after this suggestion

1 Like

I would love to see idea of navigating purely with your environment on some more hardcore maps, maybe similar to 3.0 yukon but in 4.0

1 Like

Would you guys look up if you saw this in the sky.

I would. It’s stuff like this that makes games more immersive, just looking up and seeing the stars twinkling above.

I wouldn’t mind details along these lines being added to maps, but I’d like to add that the specific atmospheric/immersive details should be able to vary from map to map. For example, in the Yukon Territory it might make sense to have the aurora borealis as a rare occurrence, but to exclude fireflies entirely.

You do know Yukon isn’t always cold, right?

yeah that would be pretty epic

The aurora borealis is caused by magnetism, not by the cold, and I said it would happen rarely, not always.

I was talking about that.

I don’t see how the fact that “some areas of the Yukon are warm sometimes” disproves either the general claim that not all of these atmospheric details should be applied on every map, or the specific example that in a map set somewhere in the Yukon territory it might make sense to exclude fireflies entirely. While it is actually true that in certain specific times of year in certain specific parts of the Yukon territory some amount of fireflies have been observed, there are also a great many areas where they would rarely or never be observed, even when it is relatively warm out.

Source

https://biologicalsurvey.ca/monographs/read/3

To see where different observers studied; see the end of chapter 1.
To see the amount of fireflies that different observers saw at different times of year; look for Lampyridae in chapter 15.

Oh, and a map that includes every part of the Yukon territory is basically out of the question. It covers almost 500,000 km2

But whether or not it would be realistic or not really isn’t the issue we should be arguing. A map set in the Yukon, not only might be made to have a cold, desolate, lonely and/or empty atmosphere which cheery homey fireflies lights would be counter productive toward, but would be very likely to have such an ambiance created by the mapmaker, because that was the way Yukon was designed in the previous game.

During the summer in Yukon, it gets to be 36.1 degrees Celsius. And I’m pretty sure Nelson is adding seasons to Unturned 2. And yes you will never be able to see the milky way from up there.

In some places: yes. In others: no. In Snag, Yukon, for example the highest recorded temperature was around 22°, but it usually doesn’t even get that warm. Even though you’ve added numbers you’re still using the same argument, and I still don’t see how you hope to use that argument to disprove the notion that it might possibly be sensible to not have fireflies in a map set somewhere in the Yukon.

There’s an ancient Chinese story about a man being too poor to afford oil for a lamp, so he caught fireflies in a jar and used that to read.

I would say it would be interesting to see that, but I also realized how much many fireflies you would have to catch in order to provide any substantial light.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.