Suggestion: Stay on Unity

The RocketMod topic is pretty obvious. Its in the static nature of C++ that modding from external parties is nearly impossible. While RocketMod will definitly NOT work on Unreal i could create a modding engine in .NET that would allow .NET plugins in Unreal, the real issue here is that you have nothing to interact with. The game dev has to create the interfaces in a C++ program, while in .NET you can inject, intercept and change every aspect of the program in MSIL or even in running applications withe ease. Nelson would simply have to write the API himself, or hire somebody to do the extra work. I’d say it was probably worth it working with RocketMod as inofficial platform for game logic modding in Unturned 3 so some API is a needed aspect that should be in the next version of Unturned.

I would go for Unreal, but create a new franchise and experiment for like a year without public releases. Continue maintenance and minor contend updates for Unturned 3 (Team Fortress 2 style) and see how it develops.

4 Likes

It may be possible for Nelson to make a modding api similar to what you have for source engine games, although it would still be a bit problematic for plugin modders without something akin to amxx mod that you have for source engine games(an interface between c++ and c#, with more advanced plugin control.).

Either way would still probably require a considerable rewrite of all of the current plugins (if it’s even possible to rewrite some of these.)

1 Like

UE4 has also an option to code with Blueprints, which is much easier than C++. There’s also an option to cook them into the C++ code to increase the performance.
Unreal also has a cool feature called “Time”. It’ll make replays more available.

Blueprints have no advantage over C++ at any way.

They are easier to use.

Of course they are easier to use when you don’t know programming -.-

Complex games like unturned can not be realized with blueprints. Please stop mentioning them.

You don’t know anything about them but saying, that they are not powerful enough to make Unturned.

They are not powerful and are only for people who don’t know much about programming.

You can not make APIs with them.
You can not use third party APIs, like Steamworks or .NET with them.
You can not write OOP with them.
You can not do complex stuff like modules, assets, plugins with them.
Blueprints are for smaller games with almost no code, they are hard to maintain when code base gets big.
Blueprints are slower than C++ and not as optimized.
Blueprints are proprietary and not as supported as or as open as C++.
You can not use Visual Studio for blueprints so you do not have a real IDE for development.
Blueprints use larger data types causing more memory usage and more network bandwidth.

Please take your half-knowledge about programing and blueprints and talk somewhere else about it.

Yes, they’re not as powerful as C++ but as I said you can cook them to C++ code so that memory and performance can be saved.

Bit late but

most of the people who love Unreal in Unturned are just doing so because Nelson is considering moving to it and think because he is it must mean its a GREAT 11/10 engine

From what i could see Nelson just wanted some feedback only seemed to get people saying its great and will be good for optimization but really have no experience.

Yes a fair bit of games use it for example PUBG not sure about optimization in PUBG but its still Early Access but remember PUBG has a development team of 35 (most likely even more now) full time developers with years of experience in Unreal and Unturned’s development team is Nelson (very capable but still a 1 man army)

I found this , it’s can be cool for Unturned 4.0 !

Because most of the unturned players computers will be set on fire :slight_smile:

saying that they arent on fire in unturned’s current state

3 Likes

I’d laugh but this is so true I’d be more likely to cry…

To be fair though, a good portion of the people who actually go and report the game not running well on their computer (and then proceed to post their computer specs) seem to usually have specs below the minimum system requirements, for whatever reason. :thinking:

1 Like

I agree, but at some point maybe it will be better to change the engine into Unreal ( performance point ), but as you mention, Unturned is success because of the community, if Nelson did change the engine to Unreal, it may or may not killing the community.

Another workaround is the nelson have to prepare the converter for the assets ( yes, only the assets ), then do something about the API and internal stuff.
It wouldn’t be a hard task if Nelson not working alone ( in backend / programming, of course ) so, other can do the Converter, the other can do the Editor ( more likely to be Independent executable rather than in-game editor ) the other one create the API, so on, and so on.

But, if Nelson somehow can change the way the Unturned running in Unity and gaining extra performance, why bother changing the engine ?

You do realise it is possible to use C# in UE4, just like how it is possible to use Lua. Garry Newman (creator of Gmod) is using C# in UE4 on a new game they are working on.

1 Like

I have worked with both (sorry for replying late) and UE4 is muuuuchhhh better, in every single way.

1 Like

Unreal helps what unturned really struggles with in many aspects and thats optimization though granted the community of modders will stunt but me and alot of others like Dah_Gun_Geek and other modding teams are already prepareing for 4.0 and we will be ready to release mods as soon as possible do not underesimtate the community but it will be a hassle but i personaly will think it will be worth it

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.