The future of the HUD in Unturned

I know a lot of people love the simplicity of the 3.0 HUD. and i get it, its easy to read and serves its purpose.
but after the updates that added the compass and the hotbar, its starting to look a bit cluttered.

we already know that nelson is moving toward a less static HUD based on the latest devlogs, but we still don’t know what’s happening to the stat bars.

what i propose is a slightly more compact and visually stimulating design like the one i made.

My design

i want elements of the HUD to change as your stats go down

i realize just now that i forgot radiation and thirst, a bit late for that now.

please tell me what you want to see in unturned 2s user interface and how i might improve on my design

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of it. It’s very big and circle can be confusing for accurate hp reading.

5 Likes

i could make the compass smaller or add the percentage somewhere.
personally it doesn’t really matter to me if i have 70 or 58 health when im getting shot at.
but a good suggestion nonetheless

1 Like

Having a default compass in HUD is unbalanced.

6 Likes

That isn’t the point of this topic

Can some one do one like ark / the long dark, on the bottom, I don’t like it in the corner, I like the small hud, vertical bars that are shaped as their stat.

1 Like

In my opinion, the compass is pretty big, while the stamina, oxygen and hunger gauges are too small.
I’d personally like the UI to be similar to Subnautica.

Now, since oxygen is the biggest part of Subnautica’s gameplay, while Health is more important in UII, switching them up is a MUST and probably make the gauges a bit larger, with the exception of the Oxygen/Health gauge, since that’s already big enough. If health and hunger are linked, the hunger gauge can even be put inside the health gauge, so where you have the O2 and 45 in the picture, you can have the hunger bar take its place, while the green ring (red in UII’s case) would represent the player’s health.
And about the compass, i’d say the good old 360 degrees compass is completely fine, no need for fancy stuff. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

I’m fine with simple horizontal gauges, as well, just as long as it’s more animated and smooth so it brings it some style, unlike 3.0, which in my opinion looked pretty jagged and maybe even unfinished.
That’s all i can say for the moment.

2 Likes

Circles are never good for easily reading HP, Especially in the moment. Bad choice honestly.

I like hud in DayZ Standalone, it’s simple and minimalistic, like ammo counter in Unturned II

2 Likes

The dayz HUd is too minimalistic and simple imo, The information is there its just so unreadable especially for new players. Its also very small but im sure you as a player can edit that,

Either way, I prefer the HUD to be as minimalistic as possible for UII.

Your design is just… Too notable for my taste.

3 Likes

Guys I have a solution, Editable hud. Have the standard elements that show on the hud and let use (through a preferences file or something) edit it to our liking. Maybe have like 3 options for the style of each element and then we get to place them and move them around to out liking. For example maybe for health we can change if it shows numbers or if its just a graphic, If its a circle or a bar, etc etc.

2 Likes

Yes, that would be great!

I would personally love something like this because, as understanding as I try to be, I feel very strongly about UI design and would love to be able to edit it myself.

I just can’t stand circle huds or mimalistic huds, Just give me the information in a conveyable manner, Not some fancy big boy or some unreadable minimal hud. But I know there are people that enjoy those type of huds so the perfect middleground would be options, Maybe it wouldnt be a file but an ingame option for gold members? we already have the color options for gold members.

Let’s keep the fancy HUDs to mods, mkay?

3 Likes

I’d be completely fine with fancy HUD mods, for all the HUD elements.

Personally, I’m a bit iffy with the suggestion to have it similar to Subnautica’s, because in that case it matches the game’s general feel and art style much better than I think it would in Unturned.

That being said, I don’t think many of the community-made HUD concepts have considered that (the general feel and aesthetic of the game) to begin with, when they designed their concepts, so they all look out of place due to that (even if the layout would otherwise be good).

The compass in this particular concept is way too large though. It is not that important of an element to deserve being that large.

I went with circles for purely aesthetic purposes, a number could always be the actual representation of the values, but even then, circles can be pretty reliable for that information, it just takes a lot more time to make it reliable. After all, i was talking about a hud that was pleasing to the eye as well, not just being functional.
UI is still a crucial part of the gameplay and i strongly believe that making a good and beautiful UI can do a lot of things for the gameplay’s enjoyment.

i agree, the UI is arguably one of the things you spend the most time looking at so it is important that it is good looking and conveys the importance of each element correctly.
having number values along with bars is probably a good idea.

I really like minimalist huds, I know what I’m doing so why do I need such big bars

1 Like

you probably don’t need them, but someone does. not everyone is a hardcore survival game player that knows every stat like the back of their hand. this could be solved by having a default and a pro hud and/or being able to change the size of hud elements

1 Like