The subtle problem of Abuse - Official Servers

There isn’t anything wrong with a comparison between two similar ideas and you seem to have this idea that anti-cheat is flawless. Why not find some proof that staff are incapable of proving why they do stuff and that anti-cheat cannot possibly make a false ban. Also, unless Nelson gives a personal statement on how much of an issue it would be for him to have official staff, don’t say its too big of a hassle for him. Staff members have plenty of benefits if you can actually understand things other than what you want. Also, continuing with my comparison, innocent until proven guilty. Bans should be justifiable so a staff member that acts without reason shouldn’t have been a staff member in the first place.

Oh no, it is this thread again.
Offcial servers are more than likely going to be a thing. I think they are going to need staff to catch cheaters and exploiters. Assuming there is more than a few servers direct democracy is just straight up not going to work because it is woefully inefficient plus also not always fair.
This is a dammed if you do, dammed if you don’t scenario.
The best option would be to make it as hard as possible to exploit/cheat and properly impelemnt a state-of-the-art anticheat and thus remove the need for staff to the furthest extent possible. At the end of the day I think this and and a Overwatch like system with a pool of people working on those reports that are chosen in part by Nelson and in part by the communiyt would work best.

I agree. Have staff be accountable for their actions (if there is going to be staff).

You cannot possibly be this naive.

Anticheat isnt flawless but it doesnt ban innocent people. It is a big hassle to manage trough countless of children to pick someone thats suitable for staff, and once he does, if that staff does something stupid his entire game takes a hit. Even if you do get staff they will always get an advantage in game. Give me then some benefits of staff on the server if there are so many. Staff can make a mistake and its not far from doing so. Appealing your ban can be possible. You cannot appeal an anti cheat ban because anti cheat doesnt ban innocent people, is consistant and does it job the same every time.

Can you respond with something useful instead of calling me naive with no arguements

Although rare, there are documented cases of anticheat engines (including, but not limited to: Battleye, VAC, Easy Anticheat, and several others) having false positives and issuing bans to innocent people, bans that were later revoked.

The main problem people have with your argument is that you insist every person banned by anticheat is guilty, and while this is the case most of the time for a good anticheat, false positives are definitely possible and have happened.

Anticheats are not perfect with detection either, so the problem goes both ways, and is an example of why anticheat alone is often insufficient in protecting a server.

Humans are not perfect either, that is true, but the best solution IMO is to have both working in tandem together to cover each others’ weaknesses.

2 Likes

Those people that were banned “innocently” were also guilty of doing somethinf themselves. Anticheats actual job is to find people with centrain modified game files or programs running in the background, and ban them. People who were “innocent” usually had edited game files for some customisations or whatever or had for example cheat engine running in the background from a previous game. Those things arent anticheats fault because again it did its job. Just dont be stupid and take unnecissary risks. I still think because of the above mentioned that staff simply isnt worth it.

Can you prove that for every case of a false ban by anti-cheat though?

1 Like

Again, you seem to be making pretty baseless assumptions without any proof.

For instance, there was a relatively infamous wave of VAC bans in July 2010 when about 12,000 CoD MW2 players were all issued bans for no apparent reason. Valve had confirmed it was in error, and in addition to revoking all the bans gave out gift copies of Left 4 Dead 2 as compensation to all players affected. The cause was later worked out to be a flaw between the anticheat engine and updating of the game files by Steam. This is perhaps one of the most major mistakes an anticheat engine has ever made, and it proves my point.

You don’t have to be “guilty of doing something” or taking “unnecessary risks” to receive a false positive ban. They can happen to anyone, and to assume this is impossible is absurd. Anticheat engines are good most of the time, but no anticheat engine is perfect, and all anticheats are susceptible to false positives.

2 Likes

I hate this dumb logical fallacy whereby “If they did it, then it was right”

The law is not always moral. The law is not always right. The law is not always correct. Whether the law is a police officer or an anti-cheat (and by extension staff members). Things make mistakes and just because they’re the law doesn’t mean their judgement and decisions are special or perfect.

So yeah, I agree.

4 Likes

And those people were unbanned shorty after? That wasnt a problem of anti cheat itself, randomly banning people every now and then, it was a wave due to a techincal error that was quickly spotted. Not to mention that this only reffers to VAC.

Because comparing country laws and video game anti cheat totally isnt absurd and stupid.

2 Likes

I know what comparing is, I dont see how your google definition screenshot helps you here. You can compare literally any things you want, but comparing some things is stupid, you can compare a house and a bird, or a car and a tree, but its stupid to compare these things.

Re-read it until you understand what I mean. It isn’t that hard for most people.

1 Like

no whale hunting in Utah

desert intensifies

the whale hunting laws were put in place to protect your mom

Yeah I think @CravenWarrior put it very nicely.

2 Likes

The law is always right (right as in legally right, nothing to do with whether or not said law is perceive to be morally right or not). The enforcement or otherwise usage of said law may not be correct, however, especially on a case by case basis. Whether or not you agree with said law or not is a different case.

3 Likes

Every game ever gets by without having staff on their servers, this seems to be a survival game phenomenon were a server “must have staff”…

You all are thinking way to much into this.

The problem seems to be entitlement and impatience. You want a bad player dealt with “RIGHT NOW, WAHHHH”

The rest of the adult world in 99% of games simply mute verbally abusive players, you wait for glitches to be patched and you wait for anti cheat to deal with the latest hacks… No need for 9 year old admins with commands that they WILL eventually abuse.

Again you don’t see admins in any other type of game it’s strange that people feel they need them in survival games and mmorpg games

1 Like

I know what you mean, but its still stupid

But how will they ever deal with a person who called them mean words because of his furry profile picture