Turned behaviour and movements

This post is about how to improve turned movements and make it realistic and fun without making it too annoying. It’s a little short, so sorry about that. And also minus 1 point for my crappy english, but if you exactly understand what i mean, good job!

How is it currently?

Turneds right now spawn in three types: Normal, crawler or runner. You can’t shoot a normal turned’s leg and make it become a crawler turned. It has a simple AI. It’s less challenging, and too boring.

How to fix it?

1. Losing limbs

Drawing example (done in ms paint in 5 minutes, click for cringe)

• Different health pools for each part of the body
    Each part of the body will have different health pools, and when enough damage is dealt to that specific part of the body, it will be torn apart.

Important note: The total damage dealt to these limbs will also be dealt to the turned’s general health (which i said as 100 hp) So if a turned has taken enough damage to head or body, the turned will die, with a death animation depending on how did it die. We don’t need headless horsemen, sorry.

Details

The turned has a general health of 100 hp.

• Turned having less/higher damage or faster/slower damage depending on limbs
    This idea’s extremely simple. If a turned has lost one of its arms, it will deal 35% less damage than normal. If it has lost both, it will deal 70% less damage than normal.

If a turned has lost one of its legs, it will become a crawler, being 25% slower than a normal turned. If it has lost both of its legs, it will have half the speed of a normal turned. However, crawlers will deal more damage than average.

• I agree with turneds losing limbs
  • I partially agree with turneds losing limbs (comment why)
  • I don’t agree with turneds losing limbs (comment why)
  • Sorry, i misclicked. (null option)

0 voters

2. Different type of behaviour for turneds

• More types of turned (no, no crazy stuff like flaming turned)
    These turneds have the same chance of spawning as normal turneds, but it can be modifiable.

1. Exhausted turned
    This type of turneds move slow, and rather easy to take down. They deal a little less damage than normal turneds.
    This type of turned may occur if multiple players have escaped its range multiple times without killing it, or it can naturally spawn.

2. Enraged turned
    This type of turneds move fast, and deal a little more damage than normal turneds. If a player has gotten close to this type, but manages to escape, this turned will become a running turned just like the one we have in 3.0 right now and chase the player until the player gets out of navigation range or it/the player dies. (can be modifiable) This type of turned has more chance of spawning at full moon event.
    If an enraged turned is a crawler, when it gets close to the player, it will do a jump attack with its arms, dealing two times more damage than normal if it hits.

• Turneds roaming around
    Instead of turneds being able to go anywhere in their range, they will be limited in a radius (where the middle is where they have spawned, and it can be modifiable when creating the map), where they can freely roam around, however they can’t go outside this radius unless they’ve been distracted by anything. I believe this is a good idea because it would not really be fun if turneds were randomly spread around, which means there is a chance some places can be empty and some places can be full of turneds.

• I agree with turneds having different behavior
  • I partially agree with turneds having different behavior (comment why)
  • I don’t agree with turneds having different behavior (comment why)
  • Sry i misclicked again. (null option)

0 voters

3. Turned choosing different paths to the player

Right now, we have turneds choosing the closest path to the player just by walking. If a window is low enough, they will just pass through it. If it’s not, they will take the door. They got manners, at least.

• Turneds choosing the closest path to the player
    If a turned is close to a player but it is above, it will try to jump off wherever it is, risking fall damage for the sake of the closest path. However, if the turned knows it will lose 50% of its health by fall damage, it will not choose that path and look for a different path to the player. After the jump, the turned will have a small chance of falling, or slowing down for 2 seconds. If it lands directly onto player, it will deal 2 times more damage than a normal zombie attack.

If a building is low enough (for example, at its height), the turned will try to climb up it to the player, which takes a time. If the player hits the turned while it’s climbing, the turned will fall off and stay knocked out for a few seconds.

If a window is low enough (for example, half of its height) instead of ignoring that path, the turned will try jumping through it. After the jump, the turned will have a small chance of falling, or slowing down for a second.

• I agree with turned choosing the best path to the player
  • I partially agree with turned choosing the best path to the player (comment why)
  • I don’t agree with turned choosing the best path to the player (comment why)
  • Oops. (null option)

0 voters

End of the thread!

I have rushed making this thread (again) because i had limited time. If i made any spelling or grammar mistakes, or shared an extremely stupid idea, i’m sorry about that. I had this idea exactly 3 hours ago and i’ve been working on it for 2 hours, distracting myself with useless stuff. Don’t forget to share your opinion below!

15 Likes

good idea!

1 Like

i was gonna get sad really fast but you saved it lmao. this is a great idea btw

i do not agree with this part. the chances of what you said is really low. instead, they should randomly wave around in their navigation zone. limiting them into a radius… idk, it doesn’t make sense to me, it just sounds like it makes it way easier to avoid zombies

edit: whoops

2 Likes

Well, i am not really talking about a way small radius, it can be modified through the map editor, but you got a point too.

3 Likes

Zombies will roam around the entire map, if you have forgotten

2 Likes

yeah i edited it for that lol sorry

1 Like

One very small yet very necessary detail I’d like to see with zombies is individual variation in movement.

Rather than having them move at a constant speed as if they were a robot on tank treads, it’d be nice if they almost trudged about with inconsistent motion to make them harder to hit or shoot. If possible I’d also like to see slight variations in the movement speed between Turned of the same type, and also dynamic movement speeds (e.g. a zombie walking at first, and then being able to break into a sprint).

As for point #3, I’d ideally like to see the Turned taking more than one path to get to the same spot. This makes hordes much harder to deal with, because they’ll be swarming every possible route as opposed to neatly going through a single corridor.

3 Likes

I agree. Turned should be dangerous, not slow-moving cannon fodder. Shooting a gun in a city without a plan should be a death sentence.

2 Likes

I think Turned shouldn’t ALWAYS take the best path, but just have a chance for them to do so. This means they would be spread out more, and come at more than just one angle in regards to the player. I think having to worry about multiple directions ramps up the difficulty and seeing Turned split off and go down other paths would definitely be interesting.

Also, I definitely do want more crazy Turned types for II. Ideally though, the Turned inside of really early game locations should be these weak “exhausted” Turned, slow, shambling types that aren’t too terrible to deal with, mixed with some slightly stronger Turned. But end game locations should feature strong Turned with various types, including types better at range, better at melee, and some that do both.

4 Likes

They are zombies, they should walk off roofs and cliffs, or at least a few should. Also they shouldn’t lose limbs as it’s a kids game (game also aimed for kids), but they should have crippled limbs that work the same.

Omg i was going to mention these, but i forgot. :woman_facepalming:

I disagree. This will depend on how nelson puts this into the game and how it will look (graphics). It can be extremely violent, or it can not be so violent depending on how it looks.

My fault. I should’ve said that these chances can be edited by the map maker. Good idea, though.

2 Likes

Losing limbs would be fine for Unturned considering a few things

• Unturned II will be a lot less saturated and will have harder survival and pvp (better for a slightly older audience than Unturned)

• Amputation of a fictional creature fits pretty well among the blood, suicide, morphine, and mass-murder we already have.

2 Likes

Perhaps your right.

I love the idea of destructible turned even if that does require a lot of polish and limit the size of hordes for optimisation reasons.

can I add the ability to leap 30m to the enraged zombies stats? it sounds terrifying in my head.

The idea of turned taking the best path, no they should take the stupid path there brains are dead.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.