Unturned 2024 Survey

I don’t think open sourcing some of the game or whatever people want would make too much of a difference for 95% of people as a lot of things that would make the game better for everyone could simply be done in .dat files or the map editor

1 Like

he knows me

3 Likes

as an occasional car surfer walking on vehicles would be so awesome

1 Like

Great news and I really like this survey, however you may have missed that people didn’t like the new server browser

1 Like

If you don’t like the new browser, you can click the “Simple Presets” (I think) button on the bottom to get the old look back

Good ideas, lot of things interesting on the survey, I am especially curious about the projectiles rewrite, what do you have in mind for that? guided (f&f, manually guided) projectiles?

I’d also find it interesting to see support for dual barrel weapons, there is a fair amount of ways it could be useful.

Anyway, i find that survey to be a really good idea, most of those ideas are quite good.

I would add to movement that being able to implement new movements options would be nice: rideable animals, sail (it’s something I have been waiting for a while for boats), gliding, loss of control (when a vehicle goes fast and it’s raining) and so on… I also remember a suggestion for Unturned 2 giving ideas for human powered transport (Human Powered Transport - A Mega-Suggestion) and I think it’s really something that could get an update since the existing system is fairly simple.

I don’t really know about feasibility, is there anything of the kind envisioned or would that be too complicated for Unturned ? I imagine it would be quite time consuming of course. @SDGNelson

1 Like

Doesn’t change that the new server browser is horrible. There were some good additions that people asked about (like map logos), but again, it turned out into “I have meticulously inspected the provided information and did everything in a completely opposite way”. People asked for a less cumbresome experience and got a million of tiny buttons with some goofy submenus instead. I connect directly by IP now.

3 Likes

Will you release the statistics on this form later? If not I think it would be a good idea.

4 Likes

a tracker for the speed of transport is very necessary to change the animation (for example, for the same animals, ships or fantastic walkers for scifi mods)

1 Like

If he doesn’t want to be a manager he still can hire a manager, the current problem I see in Unturned is that Nelson is scared to change anything in Unturned because it will break something (he also stated that in one of the GitHub issues when someone said about last weird crashes in Unturned after latest updates with Mic UI, Nelson said: “I would better not to touch anything” or smth like that of that similar things. Currently doesn’t matter which ideas everyone comes up with, open-source, new features, bug fixes, refactoring, doesn’t matter, we still hit the same wall, Nelson has a problem that he can’t change the code, because if he changes something somewhere else the same thing is hardcoded somewhere, so it will break everything, and no one will even know about that.

I probably agree with Nelson that he’s doing right by doing the game solo because once you give a bit of power to your product (in this case Unturned, the game) you will have more problems, however, depends on how you split the power between the team, on the other hand the price is losing whole game a probably all income?

Yes, I intend to release the survey results once it’s ended.

There are a few different features which spawn “projectiles” like zombie acid/boulder attacks, throwable items, rocket launchers, and airdrops. Currently, they rather naively only send the initial position, rotation, and velocity, and so the simulation gets out of sync. The plan would be to unify all of these systems and instead replicate the results from the server. At the outset this would also allow mod hooks to spawn projectiles (e.g., mortar launcher), and server code could modify the projectile trajectory in flight. Laser-guided projectiles might or might not be added alongside. (the main intention on my end would be fixing the desync and opening those possibilities)

You’re right that I did make a comment along those lines which I probably shouldn’t have. It wasn’t super serious and more so reflecting that it’s upsetting and stressful to release an update leading to new crashes and bugs.

I don’t think it’s accurate to say that I’m scared of changing the game, however. I’ve rewritten huge chunks of the game over the past years for the sake of long-term goals which are much bigger changes than slapping a few new features on top of a bad foundation. For example, adding underbarrel grenade launchers would probably seem like a big change to most players, but code-wise would be a relatively small change if I just hacked-in more duplicated projectile code to the gun class.

Immediately want to jump in because this kind of comment leads to misinformation. Next thing I know I’m seeing frustrating comments everywhere like “I heard the stupid dev is scared of changing the game, what an idiot.” I know that’s not your intention here. It’s just been depressing seeing that kind of comment more often - e.g., a certain toxic youtuber spreading negativity.

4 Likes

I’m not trying to say that you’re an idiot, I just tried my hope from the heart, I thought do I even need to answer any messages here or not for 4 days, and decided to answer, that you’re getting negativity is normal because its a problem, and if its a problem - the problem must be resolved, but that’s real because I’d also be scared (perhaps “scared” a bit wrong word, but its a complex and makes a lot negativity) to change code in such huge game, support for plugins, modding, vanilla

Sorry, I didn’t believe that you were. To clarify: My concern was that without further context some players might read it and post something similar elsewhere referencing it, and over time the message would be misconstrued.

Don’t worry, I think most people know zman isn’t a reliable source.

Keep it up Nelson, I’m glad you’re getting community feedback to move forward.

2 Likes

Immediately want to jump in because this kind of comment leads to misinformation. Next thing I know I’m seeing frustrating comments everywhere like “I heard the stupid dev is scared of changing the game, what an idiot.” I know that’s not your intention here. It’s just been depressing seeing that kind of comment more often - e.g., a certain toxic youtuber spreading negativity.

It is sad that such toxic comments have come to your ears as they do not reflect -or at least so I believe- the opinion of the vast majority of us, we long timers have seen how the game has evolved since 10 years ago, you should not feel responsible for that, because haters will find a way to misinterpret any comment you have made in order to question your choices or your skills. I think the game itself and its successes are a pretty good testimony that you know very well what you are doing.

For example, adding underbarrel grenade launchers would probably seem like a big change to most players, but code-wise would be a relatively small change if I just hacked-in more duplicated projectile code to the gun class.

How interesting :griefer:

1 Like

I just have to reply on this.

My opinion on this topic is very different both from yours and from average zman fan who used to play / still plays Unturned. I do think that zman, despite forming a community and doing some good things, caused drama, I can understand that zman’s opinion is overexaggerated and may be mean to you; this is why you call it ‘toxic’; however, I do think zman and his fans have a point in Unturned criticism. Zman’s opinion is very vocal to the community of the game.

Such critique, even if being mean, is natural. Some people play this game more seriously. Some people earn money from this game, whether it would be winning tournaments, making commissions or making servers. My points is - it’s natural to see people too much upset even if you Nelson think they shouldn’t. You shouldn’t think anyone who criticises you, even if done wrong by making false accusations is your enemy, because again, you can understand the criticism but ignore the claims or false calls. Ignoring such criticism is just a way of ignoring the reality. People are mean, but it’s natural and you can’t do anything about it. Some people are just too passionate, however if you fix whatever they want they would be the best Unturned fans, it’s just the way it is.

For me Unturned is a game that refused to grow. It had so much potential and it looses it and is stagnating. And many, many people tend to share this opinion.

You should realize that the game is slowly using it’s players. If you can’t do the small, but gameplay-wise, or mod-wise impactful changes yourself, maybe you should hire a second developer. It could be anyone from the community you have close ties to, anyone you can trust and hire.

And, as a site note before ending my [mentailly ill] rant, here are 2 problems of Unturned I’ve been thinking about recently.

1. Official Unturned maps, a.k.a “Unturned Vanilla” has very low replayability, i.e., subjectively speaking, is very boring, especially for older players. It’s replayability is worse than of any latest curated map, especially Arid which stays as a favorite map for many people having more MP players than Buak.

2. Survival mode has issues when players don’t enjoy the very matter of it, but enjoy the process of eliminating other players in PvP and conquering the server. Some of you might say, “what’s wrong about it?” and my answer is - in most cases, nothing. However, this becomes a problem when players focus too much on it. There’s a large split up on large server networks in terms of player base and their daily play time. Some people play the server only for 3 hours a day, but some take it as the very purpose of their irl life to grind on an Arid server full of 60 people to conquer the server by playing and farming loot for like 15+ hours a day, for a week and maybe even more once a wipe. It becomes a large issue especially if you think about it and figure that it barely has solutions. The whole base-raiding concept leads to this.
    // SUM UP or tl;dr, the more you play on a survival servers with default official/curated setting, the more you have chances of winning, and for me personally it’s an issue.

That’s why I hate Rust and I think Unturned should never be close to it gameplay-means unless done properly (Rust has strats to fight eternally online players, Unturned doesn’t).

3 Likes

I think this is a pretty pessimistic outlook, I mean Nelson is doing a survey to see what people want and where to take the game in the future which will probably improve things.

I think a lot of people are taking this all too seriously. Ultimately, even IF the game stagnates and dies, it wasn’t for nothing. It is a free game that brought us all countless memories, experiences and new friends, and what more could you ask of a free blocky Steam game? Regardless of what happens, I will always appreciate the journey and what it brought.

1 Like

We’re fairly excited about our plans for 2024, and @babybillygaming is correct that the player sentiment collected with the survey will also be used to guide some of the future updates coming to the game. :slight_smile:

The survey is still ongoing/open – if you haven’t taken the survey yet, it’s a great opportunity to do so!

I meant loosing not using*

That would be sad for some people. I agree the game indeed brought some good memories and nostalgia, and I wouldn’t be too much depressed if it dies, I’m not that obsessed and I can just move on, and I am already playing other games not just Unturned, but still. Imagine if there are new players who are just making up their best time in Unturned. Imagine how server owners and mod makers would feel if their affairs would be gone.

Regardless, I understand your opinion and I know why you aren’t so serious about fate of this game. And anyway, we all could agree we all wish only good things happen to Unturned.