Unturned II Suggestions: Medical Card

Recently Nelson has created a Trello board for cataloguing popular/well thought out suggestions regarding Unturned II and to highlight key ideas from those threads. Currently, only 3 cards exist on the Trello, only 1 of which is relevant to this topic. “Metical Posts” is the thread I want to touch on. Unlike the Armour card, this post has a lot more information regarding what we’re likely to see and not see in Unturned II regarding health. For the sake of convenience, I’ll include screenshots from the card itself.

Before we dive into this card I’d like to express how this Trello makes me feel. Very Good. Very, Very Good. We finally have something that explicitly says “No” and “Yes”, we know what Nelson has seen, and we know what Nelson wants to try to remember, it’s in heavy contrast to the Roadmap, which only gives a rough idea of what Nelson has planned for certain features.

I’m pretty sure everyone can agree that 3.x’s Health system only really met the bare minimum of what a Health system could be, I agree that medical items being the same as weapons in 3.x are unnecessary, and they work better as icons in the inventory. The one thing that was helpful about the old system was the ability to bind healing items or other medical-related items to use quickly, but I’m sure something like this will be implemented to allow for quick use outside of the inventory. Perhaps something like Skyrim’s quick inventory system, The Witcher Series’s Weapon Wheel, or even BOTW’s quick-swap system could work well.

Examples of "Quick Inventory"

Huge fan of the Knocked system, I can see it being annoying though if someone is continually knocked down in a fight, only to get back up a few seconds later. One of my least favourite things about Unturned 3.x is when you’re shot and you’re left on 5 health, but you’re also bleeding out and then you just die because you can’t react fast enough to pull out healing and then apply it before you bleed out, literally the worst feeling in the world. A system like this would help to prevent some of the misery gained from bleeding out like that, while still putting you out of the fight for the time being. It also prevents stupid situations in which you punch a friend, not knowing that they’re on low health, and them dying because of it. This knocked system could be entirely skipped when it comes to physical contact with the Turned, as the plague would’ve likely fully infected you by that point.

Weapons having different damage types is a must. A common pistol shouldn’t deal the same kind of damage as a .50 Cal Sniper.

Nausea and Withdrawl from “dangerous drugs” are interesting. I’m a little sceptical about Withdrawal however, I don’t want to end up in a situation where I have to take a hit of Crystal Meth every in-game hour just to not die.

Medkit arrangement/management is also a neat concept, could be pretty fun if it’s a drag and drop system in the inventory. Medkits should also not be fully consumed like they are in 3.x they shouldn’t be consumable at all, they should just be a container for other medicine that you would have to unpack to use.

Regional damage could also be cool. There should be clearly defined boundaries, however. Certain regions should not result in instant death if critically damaged/broken, even the head. Individual legs breaking would be cool to see, it might even be useful in some cases, though I am admittedly struggling to think of them. The arm concept is interesting, but as Nelson pointed out, the system could feel random in spray fights, even more so than it already does in 3.x.

This is my favourite section. Depression is pointless due to being easily ignored and not easily implementable in any meaningful way. Morality is something that should be saved for NPCs, you can’t force it onto players. No insanity for the same reasons as Depression.

I would like to add more to this category in particular. It’s the standard; No mental disabilities and only a few effects from diet.
I know that the “You should get fat if you eat too much.” suggestion is a joke, but I’m not completely opposed. The way I see it diet could have a slight impact on the player, if you eat high quality food, then you gain minor stat boosts, if you eat poor quality food, then you gain minor stat hits. No getting morbidly obese because you only eat cake and chips. High-quality foods would be stuff like Cooked Meats, Vegetables, Most foods with a high “quality percentage”. Low Quality food would be stuff like Candy, Junk Food, Uncooked Meat, food with a low “quality percentage”.

I would also like to hear some things you would want to be added to the “No” section of this card.

You made it to the end!
(suck it J)

Like most of my longer threads and History essays, I wrote this around 1 am, so hopefully, there aren’t a ton of grammatical errors. If you see any glaring ones feel free to point them out, I’ll fix them when I have the chance.

15 Likes

haha wheres the gun

1 Like

For the most part, I agree with your post. I have a few points from it I’d like to just expand on a bit though:

I do feel like medical items should have animations, but looking to games like EFT for inspiration, this is something that can likely be implemented later on with almost entirely positive repercussions. For now, I don’t think many people would be against an inventory-based medical item instead of an equippable in the direct sense U3 had.

Alternatively, we could just go with implementing reasonable limitations, e.g. no sprinting, using other items, shooting, etc. while using medical items, or no moving at all when applying a splint.

You could go the way of Rust, and make it so that once someone is put into a DBNO state and rescued, if they get knocked out again in too short a timeframe or with too little health remaining, they will just die instead.

I think what “withdrawal” would pertain to, as far as a survival game is concerned, is what happens when a medical item wears off. Some drugs tend to actually exacerbate side effects once the effect of potency begins to wear off on the user, but for the purpose of UII we could just limit this to specific cases such as spoiled medical items, or particularly dangerous ones in special cases (such as experimental drugs).

meanie. :cry:

7 Likes

One of the takeaways is that potentiality of a limb-based medical system. Although a radial menu (or something similar) could work, having an actual inventory menu open could provide much more information to the player.

In short: limb-based information.

One of the downsides I like to consider is how it affects player-to-player interactions, as healing other survivors would be slower. It’d also seem a bit less intuitive than in U3. That is, you either drop the item outright, or perhaps you’d have to search their inventory in order to heal them (this is the method done in similar games where healing is inventory-based).

The other consideration is that having healing as a visually-apparent activity makes it more impactful. Immersion aside, it helps convey more to other players. Potentially bloodthirsty players! Or, it just makes your peaceful shenanigans with some random you wanted to heal up more visually obvious.

In short: intuition, visibility.

But that’s why it’s on the “General Thoughts” and worded as “might make sense”. Good discussion post to have! Keep it up.

8 Likes

I feel like one of the main complaints against an animation based healing system like the one in U3 was the fact that health was regained upon completion of an animation, which softlocked the player into a state of mometary defenselessness while he or she frantically tries to avoid further damage.

A simple fix to this would be to allow players to cancel healing animations, as well as having health items heal in “stages,” for example a four-second animation heals 10 health per second, allowing the player to health for twenty health and canceling the rest of the animation.

Another something I’d like to address is the redundancy of healing items in U3, for example there is a definite lean towards bandages and dressings due to how easily you can acquire them, which sidelines a lot of the other healing items. In addition, many items are just straight up upgrades of one another, and this is most apparent in again, the relationship between rags, bandages, and dressings.

In order to make the healing system feel more fluid and intuitive I’d personally prefer if UII were to sideline bandages and dressings entirely into items that purely stopped bleeding, turn medkits into storages for medical items instead of an actual application item, and adopt a much faster item for instant health recovery, either based on an autoinjector like that of Rust, or my personal preference, a syringe gun.

Because healing is now based on a gun, as opposed to a single-use item, this opens up a whole new list of possibilities. Not only is the weapon wheel, ammo counter, etc., an available option to increase intuition and user feedback, but various healing “cartridges,” can be devised for various needs. Vaccines, antidotes, stimulants, and other drugs can all be simplified as an ammunition type as opposed to an actual useable item. In addition, various upgraded syringe guns can be introduced that allow the player to fire cartridges at a distance, allowing players to heal others from a distance or, with the addition of damaging cartridges as opposed to healing ones, turn the syring gun into an actual weapon.

Of course, this brings up the problem of freshly spawned players not being able to heal because they lack either the cartridges or the gun, but I feel like adding in a craftable variant of the syringe gun, or allowing the player to drink from the cartridge (not sure how exactly this would work) would help negate that problem.

Let me know how you guys feel about a system like this.

1 Like

I like the suggestion with the syringe gun, but this is still a problem nonetheless:

The normal healing items should still exist, but the syringe gun is much quicker and more effective. Syringe gun at this point becomes both a lethal weapon and a healing item, so it should be very rare and have durability (disadvantages).

Please don’t do that.

2 Likes

I don’t suppose this is exactly a problem. The player should always be careful to use the healing item at the right time, whether looking for cover (in the case of a pvp), or moving away from turneds.
In fact, I think that healing should be something even more difficult, something like a “time of effect” in which one medically regenerates an “n” amount of life in an “X” amount of time.

Thus, players would be more careful when, for example, invading a city because they know that if they take damage they will have to retreat and heal.

This I fully agree, the only modification I would make would be bandage and dressing to recover tiny amounts of life so that they would only make up for being used to stop bleeding.

The healing gun, I also agree, but …

It doesn’t look very good to me.
Maybe it could recover life, but give a similar effect to the berries we have in unturned 2.0, but last longer.

Well, I’m not a medical professional, but I’ll try to explain.
If you have a syringe gun, that serum inside is made for injection.

not direct consumption.

Considering that it’s supposed to go into your bloodstream and not your bladder, drinking that will create more problems than it solves.
I’d also like to mention that it does not solve any problems.

EDIT: who the fuck sent me a message on my discord saying “ok so i cant drink can i vape”

2 Likes

Really, but it is not real life.
In unturned 3.0 it is possible to drink chemicals, which supposedly would undoubtedly kill the character, but ultimately gameplay does not kill.
I still believe it shouldn’t be possible to take this, the taste must be horrible :face_vomiting:

You make a good point, but considering this is magic healing juice that repairs broken bones and regenerates organs like nothing, I think it’s not too much of a stretch to make it ingestible and simply change the rate of absorption before it takes effect.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.