Unturned Summer MapJam 2023

Yapping up a storm over here

Will see, buddy…

Even being a “since 2015” type of player myself, don’t you think that viewing new players this way is a bit too harsh? Even if it is a joke, you need to remind yourself that there’s a significant amount of people who started playing Unturned in 2020-2023. Don’t underestimate them.

You’re not special if you are grown up on early versions of Unturned or if you are grown up on 2000s - early 2010s internet. Feels like as if I talk to a boomer ngl

2 Likes

Just find it funny considering Elver is like, 3 years old at most, and people already consider it nostalgic. Besides, the nostalgia theme mentioned in the base post explicitly mentioned “pre-2017”, so I see little reason to bring up post-Germany maps up here. Hell, we don’t need to think just of the curated and vanilla maps, I used to love Smileyland and Greenport Island, not to mention there are other popular maps from back then that could be referenced (i.e. Overgrown 3+, New Brunswick, Isle of Wolves). I think for a jam that is themed around that era and before, it makes sense to think of those rather than “but what about elver”

I don’t get this comment to be honest. Are you saying that because the theme is nostalgia, the creators are gonna be lazy because all of them will try and make their maps “based on already existing content”, which would mean… curated/workshop/vanilla maps before the newer curated maps started changing up their artstyles? And specially at a time where modding was less prevalent and map creators were making do with existing content? I find that silly.

If we interpret this as being about the 3.0 style, I think there’s nothing wrong with it, since that’s pretty much what every map does (except for Buak, kinda), though newer maps have introduced textures and more complex geometry to buildings and such, and if you don’t want to do that, all is well. As for a 2.0 and below style… I mean, I dislike the 2.0 artstyle myself, but I don’t think someone wanting to recreate that style for the jam is lazy. And even then, with Buak releasing a few months ago I think that’s a good point for reference if anyone wants to make a visual style reminiscing of that time while staying modern. To me, you seem to just be worried that the submissions won’t look like a curated map that took 2 years to make.

I hope the submissions for this jam will have some unique stuff to see and not just be what I’d expect from a mod-free workshop map from 2016, but, we’ll have to wait and see ¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

so because of that you made the offensive joke about people who like the elver and post-elver maps

nostalgia is not just something very old but it’s emotions and subjective view (i can’t consider myself an old player since i started playing after early access in 2017 and more actively only in 2019, and in general the concept of a “nostalgic map” is rather wrong, because not the map itself but the events and the “atmosphere” of that time cause the warm feeling in my opinion, so nostalgia is very subjective because it’s different for everyone and certainly doesn’t depend on quality because it’s actually a game on emotions)

2 Likes

6 Likes

@AnimaticFreak
Any guidelines on if/how plugins can be used. Custom gamemode stuff has always been cool.

1 Like

Im 90% sure splugins aren’t allowed. Its specifically a map jam so it should work on its own. Modhooks are basically mapsided plugins tho.

An artstyle like this only ferments like a fine wine

3 Likes

They would’ve fit in more with last year’s MapJam compared to this one, but I’m always lenient on some front as long as it’s nothing too elaborate. If it helps you bring back ‘Nostalgia’ I’ll say it’s still on the table- make sure the map remains the core product though.

oh man WADUHEEEEIIIILLLOOOMAAGAAADNOOWAAAY

1 Like

One Week Remaining.

4 Likes

1 week until the therapy

heat death of the universe is coming

2 Likes

24 Hours Remaining.

6 Likes

complaining about the theme is just absolutely embarassing guys.

4 Likes
7 Likes

To be honest, I can’t see how this map could have been completed in just three weeks.

4 Likes

i mean i only did it so people will actually be suprised that I participated in one submission, but nvm it’s all gone. SLE is lost

I’m going along with what some other people have said about it. The time limit isn’t the issue, it’s the fact that the contest started at the end of the summer around the time many people are returning back to school.

I’ll work on my idea in the future probably, maybe release it unlike my last attempts. I forget what the last theme was but I turned that one into a full medium/large map and will finish it when I’m not dealing with school.

6 Likes

I was going to participate this time around and this is the main reason I didn’t. Half of the jam has been during my semester.

1 Like