Vehicle Material Palettes

Yes, I know that Nelson already said he wants to get to something like this eventually. This is just a little showcase of what it could look like. Everything can be switched out with different names if it’s required but this is what I generally feel is best.

Materials |
This is obvious, but this just says how many material palettes you have.
Material_#_GUID |
I chose to use a GUID over something like a name so there’s no accidental mixing between different mods
Material_#_Masterbundle |
This would optimally be optional (would automatically do the masterbundle that the vehicle is in if this line is missing) but it’s best to allow people to choose just in case
Material_#_Path |
This is the same as object material palettes. It’ll allow you to set what mat you want this material to use.

Here is a showcase of what it would look like in an actual dat file:

Now, for the paint tools, the dat would be relatively simple. It’s basically the same just without the path or masterbundle directors.

Materials |
This is obvious, but this just says how many material palettes you have.
Material_#_GUID |
Just the GUID of the material you want to have it use.

Dat File View:

Secondary Idea:

Mesh Changing. I can’t think of a really good way to implement this but basically, the ability to change meshes using something like the paint can. It’d be useful for stuff like making a civilian car turn into a police car using a light bar item.

2 Likes
  • I personally don’t see much of a use case for “Material_#_Masterbundle” as that would only be used (afaik) when the asset definition file is not in the masterbundle folder which just seems like bad practice.
  • I’d like “Material_#_Names” which is a list of names that the tool can use optionally
  • This new asset type should also support v2(dictionaries and arrays) (v2 >> v1 :>)

I would like to see this feature also work for Object Assets and would like to see paintable objects. Also “Asset Palette” has a nice ring to it :).

Yeah, that’s what I thought too. That’s why I thought it would really just be an override.

Yeah. That’d be another good one. Though, it might be a bit weird looking if it’s more than 1 name due to how dats are formatted.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.