Vehicle suggestion, hot air balloon

download

Found in the open field, they are useful for those who want to store items in the high sky, or move around calmly and quietly, it can be attached to the ground with a rope, but it will fall to the ground if it is punctured by a cut or cut, to climb it is enough drop the sandbags, to go down just decrease the fire present in the balloon, if the rope is broken it will float around until the gas runs out or is punctured.

3 Likes

But why
What use would they have
You couldn’t control them so they wouldn’t be very useful to go anywhere, and if you wanted to go scouting there’s a big fuck off balloon that’s easily spottable and an even easier target to hit.

3 Likes

perhaps it wouldn’t have fuel (or fuel that goes down very slowly, like an industrial generator in 3.0) and it could be used to transport a lot of stuff or people, and not make any sound. So you could use it at night, and people wouldn’t see or hear it.

That’s kind of the only advantages I could think of, but why should it not exist? I mean, intentionally bad low-tier civilian loot exists, it doesn’t have to be good to be added.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind some more civilian planes as well as different types of aviation, but I don’t see hot air balloons filling that or any other niche. You said yourself that there would be few advantages to using a balloon.

Yes, bad civillian weaponry exists, yet they do have a place in the game. A sportshot may not be used often, but it will definitely be helpful for a player with no other ranged option. I don’t see a player using a balloon in the same way; more likely, they’ll simply pass it by, as any car would be more stealthy and faster than a hot air balloon, as well as significantly more common and cheaper to maintain.

Lastly, a balloon couldn’t just use plane controls, at least in the way anonimoanbu describes. A whole new control system would have to be made, all for a vehicle that would rarely be used.

the gameplay of the zeppelin present in unturned 3.0 could be reused and, as I said, the usefulness of storing items at high altitudes, and moving around the map slowly but quietly.

@Captain.Stars
@anon42100029

But also moving around with the wind, just as certain boats don’t need gasoline just a boat sail, in other words, using only the wind, it would be a really cool gameplay not being exclusive to the hot air balloon.

2 Likes

Hot air balloons use fuel.

I don’t see this being useful at all unless aviation fuel is extremely rare or you could make a balloon, and even then it’s objectively inferior to a plane or a helicopter.

5 Likes

Just as a reference point if you need a visual, U3 has a blimp (available on Washington). If we include curated maps, then Hawaii actually has a hot air balloon (iirc it uses helicopter controls).

I don’t think it’d be particularly useful, but there might be a niche it could fill. However, something to consider is that vehicles should be requiring more maintenance in general. I’m not particularly sure where a hot air balloon falls in with planned vehicle mechanics – doesn’t seem like too much overlap.

6 Likes

That’s fair enough. I feel like a mod would be the best place for this then.

they don’t need to use fuel though. if they worked like a sailboat that would probably be a gameplay advantage, not everything has to be realistic.

I think this is a pretty weird suggestion that definitely doesn’t need to be added to the game, but it could be cool I guess. Just for immersion purposes it could be added, but I think it shouldn’t behave like a vehicle and instead be its own thing that moves up and down with player input and drifts around with not much control. Could be useful for mobile bases/storage if it goes way up in the air, like a way less op and more in-universe version of a skybase or something like that, and it could be shot down easily but hard to spot from the ground.

1 Like

If you want to keep them afloat then yes, they do need fuel.

well yes, but they don’t need to use fuel if they’re added to UII.

I think if they were intended to be like bases fuel could very gradually deplete similar to industrial generators in 3.0

Hot air balloons could act as a cheap alternative to other aicraft and the ability to hover could make it a good snipers roost, imagine flying over the map at night silently while picking off your enemies from above(especially during raids). Allso due to the relatively simple design of these(not the blimps) there could be craftable version using scrap and junk.

3 Likes

If a hot air baloon is hit it should not fall down but start moving to the side and to get one to fall it would take 20-30 bullets.

FleshyPig suggestion:
Stop suggesting things :smiley:

My reply for @FleshyPig : no :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.