What is up with the Unturned player stats?

On top of that, Unturned uses a skin economy that equates to a pseudo stock market and it puts heavy emphasis onto this while using lootboxes, a form of gambling which is so disliked, almost every major game has phased it out except for some things like the gacha genre of games, inclusive of products like Genshin Impact, and gacha games usually provide “pity rewards” for poor luck (it’s unknown if Unturned does).

When pairing this with an exaggerated playercount, Nelson may be actively profiting off of people gambling using incorrect market data. This reckless combination that SDG staff just made the mistake of acknowledging (while undertaking no corrective procedures) puts Nelson in a legal gray area, as they are relying on a misrepresented market to profit for their own sakes.

People are spending thousands, staring at player counts which can hint at a healthy playerbase that they can make money from using Nelson’s officially sanctioned systems and the faith people may be having in this could be leading them to lose huge amounts of money. This should not be ignored or understated.

Depending on the response SDG gives and other variables, I’d be interested in calling an MP to speak about online gambling and markets with the context of what we are discussing right here.

Sidenote; Criticism is not conspiracy and removing playtime drops which could help people save up for mythicals or allow them to do trades of cheap rare/epic items for tons of extremely low rarity items which people gathered up to then turn into the in-game crafting currency, scrap, to then produce valuable mythicals, sounds more like a profit driven decision rather than one out of a desire to combat idleness.

One just has more practicality and makes more sense than “idlers on singleplayer hurt the community so I removed playtime drops”

So where do you think these players are coming from?
Also does player count have have the exact same as server list or a little more? Because unique players might be the combined total amount of players who joined that day and if that’s so you should change the player number in the community page.

2 Likes

This. I can’t remember the last time I played on a server that wasn’t privated. I just don’t enjoy online multiplayer in the game due to some people being rather annoying.

what corrective procedures do you suggest?

reread what nelson said; the only threads that have been closed in the past are conspiracy theory stuff i.e. not this thread

It’s mentioned/implied earlier, but that number is collected and reported by Steam. We cannot set that number (assuming you’re referring to this one below). Developers don’t set that value – it’s tracked by Steam.

EDIT: Wanted to say add that, unfortunately, it doesn’t appear the BattleMetrics has an up-to-date FAQ on how they collect their information. From my understanding, they can only accurately report information from servers registered to their services. Otherwise, they’re just querying servers for a more limited set of information.

2 Likes

Ask them to fix it.

1 Like

There is no problem with your message, in fact I agree with what you said and could elaborate. I also agree that people should get some basic cosmetic drops, at least once a week, as people who play Unturned most likely than not, don’t have any money on cosmetics.

But with that said I gotta admit that I am happy for the drops being disabled. Why? Now we will have a healthier market with more realistic prices, as now supply does not outweigh demand massively (it does, yes, but it becomes better slowly), I am also happy for scrap trade ban, as there was a lot of people who tried profiting off mythical crafting and well, there still are, but now they have to bulk-buy low-tier skins and then spend a lot of time scrapping them, so they are at an inconvenience, which I like. I think we have to stick to no-drop policy for another year or so and the market will get better. We don’t want PAYDAY2 skin situation in here.

Will you guys look more into this? Or just let it be because it’s obviously fake stats.

This reminds me of a youtube video I watched uploaded by Casperr in which he investigates why TF2’S steam chart player numbers are drastically different to what other websites report, check it out maybe some of what he said applies to Unturned’s situation. Anyway, I don’t think Nelson would get any response from Steam concerning their steamchart numbers since they probably employ a data collection method which is the same for all games on Steam, so this fake player number issue most probably plagues all games on steam. But that’s just my opinion and I’m no expert on the matter.

3 Likes

Yee but when its 10X the real players is not normal at all.

1 Like

if you think it’s such a big deal write an email to steam about it

I am not the problem solver…

1 Like

This is very disappointing.

1 Like

Nelson can’t do anything about it, you should take action yourself if you want it to change.

2 Likes

I think some of that count came from people that idling hours to get it in profile or selling that accounts to cheaters because many servers have required played time limit

1 Like

He can by sending message to steam and try getting it fixed. How would I mange nelsons game?

Unturned is a free game cheaters can just make a new account them self’s without paying any money.
Afking hours is commons but prob not over 1k players.

1 Like

You aren’t doing anything to manage Unturned, this affects most if not all games. I don’t think it would matter if you are or aren’t a game developer here, try contacting them and see if they will look into it.

2 Likes

Because they can’t play on some servers with fresh accounts

Why would steam listen to some random player for them to fix something on a game that I don’t manage? They would take action if the owner of the game sent them a message. I do know some other games have this issue but it is nothing near unturned players stats are. A 10X player count is unbelievable.

I see your point but do you really think there is that many cheaters on unturned because if that is true then unturned would be a huge majority hackers which it isn’t.