What languages do you speak (or are learning)?

Greek as a native tongue,Proficiency-level English (I’m not showing off,just mentioning) and some veeery minor German (Mostly from school).Currently interested in learning either Russian or Polish.

1 Like

I speak spanish (I’m from Venezuela), English (conversational) and know a few words in french :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

oh y’know the average Dovahzul and Eliksni

1 Like

Just English.

Only English.

Sorry, I hate learning languages. Been forced into Spanish classes 3 years in a row and still haven’t learned anything. My memory is simply too bad to remember anything meaningful.

4 Likes

I am native korean, and i am not good English speak well, so i am getting help from a google translator.
And, recently i am interested in british english, irish language.:beer:

1 Like

Yikes. Three years of Spanish and you haven’t learned anything? I think at that point it comes down to your own unwillingness to get anything out of the class or you’re literally just that stupid, no offense.

I only speak English well but I know a few phrases and such in Spanish.

4 Likes

My memory is excellent, yet I’ve taken two years of Spanish and I don’t remember a single thing except for the numbers between zero and forty, as well as some scattered phrases here and there.

1 Like

You know 0-40? I consider that impressive compared to the numbers I know.

It might seem like I’m going back on my point, but I’m not: I’ve at least learned something in the two years of Spanish I’ve taken while Rain is saying in three he’s learned jack all.

1 Like

To be completely honest I just took the class for my foreign language credit. I plan on taking Chinese in college, as I already can speak it reasonably.

1 Like

I’m purely English but I used to be able to speak Dutch. Was my birth language until I forget at the age of 13

3 Likes

You remember things you are interested in more easily than things you aren’t

1 Like

Learning anything comes down to your will to learn it. I had german classes for 6 years in my school and I didn’t really learn anything except couple sentences. English on the other is language that I use pretty much daily and learning it was just useful and thus I really enjoyed learning it, both in class and on my own.

I don’t particularly see how learning languages in class is tied to being able to understand and relate to other cultures…

Topic wise, I’m native polish speaker and I’m fluent in english.

4 Likes

My native language is Latvian but I speak English quite fluently :slight_smile:
And slowly learning Russian because why not

1 Like

I took it for that reason too. By the time I figured I wanted to actually learn Spanish the course was over and I didn’t really decide to pick it up from there. I guess words with gender and 30 ways to say tengo turned me away from the language.

1 Like

Learning languages includes learning about cultures and usages differing between regions of a single language. You don’t just learn a language, you learn to use it with a culture. That means you learn how to behave and interact with a culture, thus understand and relate.

1 Like

English, bits and pieces of Spanish (mainly food and non-conversational details), currently trying to learn Polish (ethnic tongue which family decided I didn’t need to learn apparently) and Russian. I have procrastinated on both lol.

1 Like

i speak polish, english and learning french.

honhonhon

1 Like

i am going to vietnam in a few weeks

nam

1 Like

I think the real problem is that school makes us learn languages like it’s fucking history, and forget it doesn’t work by forced memorisation

I speak French and English. I want to learn japanese but I don’t want to look like a weeaboo.

1 Like