Why do I lag?

Hello, I have a question because I am genuinely curious. I have a pretty expensive PC build.
These are my specifications:
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.6 GHz
RAM: DDR4 32GB
Storage type: SSD
With my computer specifications, I can run the latest realistic games without the slightest hint of lag on the highest settings, but Unturned is different.
On average I get only 20 FPS. And it’s not even smooth, stable 20 FPS. Instead it’s super jaggedy, unstable 20 FPS.
Why?
It doesn’t matter whether I am in an empty world editor, near some world structures (EG. Germany prison), or near the player builds. It also doesn’t matter whether I play on the lowest or the ultra settings. The result is always the same.

Is there something about my computer specs that’s uncompatible with the game? Maybe it’s because I have a Radeon GPU?
I know that Wolfenstein for example also doesn’t work on my PC because it’s not optimised for Radeon GPUs, despite being an old game. However unlike for Wolfenstein I don’t really see any people mentioning it being incompatible with the Radeon GPUs.
Or is it because I have Windows 11? It does say on the Steam store page that the Windows 10 is recommended to play it, but is that really the reason? As far as I know the games that worked on Windows 10 should generally also work on Windows 11.
So I’m really curious. Anyone has any idea why do I lag? Because I can’t make any sense of it.

Unturned runs equally badly regardless of what high-end hardware you have, it’s just an issue with the game being itself although some areas are seeing improvement now.

I’ve got a 2070 Super and it’s just as bad with that.

2 Likes

I don’t know much about computer hardware so I’ll try to keep my response short, sorry for not providing much detailed info. Other game communities might have more advice, the issues you are experiencing may be more of a universal thing than an Unturned specific thing.

The Radeon architecture may be an issue but it’s hard to say how much it’s actually affecting things. Check V-Sync settings and how much resources Unturned is being allowed by the OS, as a system setting may be bottlenecking Unturned. Windows 11 may also be the culprit? I would check other steam indies, as it may be a Windows 11 issue.

2 Likes

In order to try your recommendation I run Unturned again today. I don’t know why, but even before I tried doing as you recommended, it worked well. The last several times I tried running it, it definitely didn’t work well, so I’m a bit confused. It now runs at 90-120 fps (depending on the area) and I don’t know why. Also, setting the resource usage priority to high didn’t seem to have any noticable impact on it. Still, thank you for your advice. It might come in handy at some other time.

2 Likes

Modern Windows has a habit of running updates or performing random intensive tasks in the background. This usually isn’t an issue for regular desktop use, but becomes an issue when doing an intensive task, like gaming. There’s a chance your PC was just having a bad day.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.