Zombies | Introducing Hunting Routes

Zombies as of 3.x

Z - 1
This is your average zombie. Green, hunched over and really stupid even by zombie standards.

The average 3.x zombie spends its day sunbathing and waiting for a player to walk infront of it, sprint around it, or shoot a gun before actually doing anything at all.
Zombies despite being reanimated dead corpses of humans are very much alive.

And things that are alive, need food.

This would bring many to believe that the zombie would wander on its own accord to search out food (AKA Survivors). However they are very lack luster in this aspect.

Time for a change.

Zombies in 4.x: Hunting Routes

Not purposed to make the game harder in any sort of way, but rather add more immersion to the world. For an example of how this would work, lets take a look at a graphic representation of PEI I smashed together.

Legend:
Green Zombie - Hunting Route Spawnpoint for zombies
Red Zombie - Area where the old system would have to be used (Stationary Sunbathing Zombies)
Black Arrow - The route of the Hunting Route zombies, where they may travel

Problems I will need help solving:
This is where I draw help from the community in order to resolve potential problems in this system.
Here are some that I am aware of yet do not know how to approach.

1. Sprinters, Walkers and Crawlers all moving at different paces.
2. People exploiting traps in order to screw up the routes.
3. Old OG Stationary Zombies, can they be changed where they are nessesary? (Isolated areas like O’Leary and Holmans)

That is all, make sure your posts are constructive and thought out.
As always, 4.x is your game too.
Lets make it a good one.

3 Likes

I would agree with the traveling routes.
Xombies on island would just wander around on the island in search for food like the idiots they are.
And there are going to be multiple pathways, so there’s no real way to exploit traps unless they are gonna block off the entire road.
As for specials, there should be a set time where the xombie can move. Like, the regular xombie can move for a total of 20 seconds, having a 30 second pause, then continues. As for sprinters, they’ll have 5 seconds of run time and 30 seconds of pause time. Crawlers get extra time, which is 40 seconds of runtime and 30 seconds on pause time

Ok.
Here’s the thing. You’re assuming that the zombie is just a normal thing controlled by a terrible thing like a virus or a parasite. What you clearly haven’t read about is zombie theory.

The first type of zombie is just what i said above, a very dirty, ragged and starving thing that has lost its humanity, whether through powerful psi-emissions that fry their brain (as in S.T.A.L.K.E.R), a virus, or a parasite or fungus (The Last of Us).

The second type of zombie is your stereotypical zombie: the reanimated dead. As in World War Z and the companion book, The Zombie Survival Guide, the zombies in this case are actually dead. They are controlled by a modified brain that has been mutated by a virus that allows it to function completely independently of anything a normal human would need, such as food, water, or even oxygen. On this model, the zombies are literally existing indefinitely until they are destroyed or when they decay.

Although those are the main two types in fiction, cinema, and games, there is a compromise in between, as found in the Rot & Ruin series of books. In this model, the host body itself in controlled by a biological weapon known as The Plague, which is a complex mix of several different viruses, bacteria, and parasites. The parasites, which make up the majority of the controlling substance, require protein but in extremely small amounts, slowing down the metabolism of the host so much that the exterior flesh begins to decay and they can survive environments far more lethal than any human could live in.

So what model is Unturned based on?
Let’s look at the facts here.
The fact that the zombies can survive underwater, go for dozens of cycles without food, and the fact that they have a distinctive moan (which is unique to the second model), hints at the fact that they are, in fact, already dead.
However, the fact that in one of the Scorpion-7 notes found in the facility that is outside of the map in Russia, says specifically that the subjects were mutating, and that several had developed acid glands and several other mutations. Organisms evolving can only happen if the subject is alive, and not deceased like that of the second model. There is also the fact that the zombies in Unturned can be killed by shooting out their organs, and that they can snarl, which means that their vocal cords are intact and their organs serve a purpose, unlike that of the first.
Given the appearance of the zombies, that they are green with decay, and the fact that the biological weapon in the books mentioned earlier supports mutation of the zombies, developing into faster and smarter varieties, then the most likely candidate is the third model.
However, since the zombies in the third model still do not necessarily need food, then my reply still proves your argument invalid.

As a sidenote, I’ll post a poll here of which model you guys think is correct:

• First Model (Living)
  • Second Model (Dead)
  • Third Model (In between)

0 voters

And I’m going to ping @SDGNelson to see what model he has based Unturned on specifically.

Was kind of hoping I could get some feedback regarding the Hunting Route but I think you went off on your own tangent at some point.

These are good facts you bring up and I think this deserves its own thread.

To be fair, this is actually just an assumption based on one typical characteristic. For all we know the berries could have turned them green as a side effect, or is just representative of illness (often depicted as green-tinted skin). It could also just be a coincidence due to how they were most often portrayed on Unturned’s/Deadzone’s origin site. :thinking:

2 Likes

They green because they plants that’s why they don’t eat because they PHOTOSYNTHESIZE
/s

1 Like

@MoltonMontro, @101gamer101, how do you explain the other characteristics, then?

(Not sure why you @'d 101gamer101, since he was being sarcastic.)

I wasn’t making an opinion on any of your theories, I was just stating that’s just an assumption.

4 Likes

Just assume whatever the hell makes you happy, zombies want to hunt down humans for whatever reason you want.

Just get on topic because this dispute about “Zombies arent alive, zombies don’t need food or oxygen, zombies dont breathe, zombies photosynthesize” I don’t give a flying rats ass about that because its not the point.

Fucking shit.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.