Their shouldnt be a 3rd person

I also agree, vehicle in third person can be enjoyable, but sometimes it can mess with the barricades and field of view, but otherwise its not nearly as broken as player third person

Theres tons of ways to nerf 3rd person that doesn’t involved completely deleting it from the existance of the game.

For instance, in Cuisine Royale to nerf 3rd person they added it so a butterfly fly’s right where you’re perspective is whilst in third, effectively stopping the old “im behind cover and I can see everything and they cant see me” stuff.

In other games like SCUM they (supposively) made it so whatever entities you can’t see in first would be invisible in third. So smearing your face against the wall and using third to look around it and seeing zombies wouldn’t work at all - effectively ruining the PvP or PvE aspect of third person.

Another way (wouldn’t fix anything) is to make First Person the default config of servers instead of both which would maybe incline people to keep things the way they already are?

1 Like

Actually I had an idea. What if in third person, you have absolutely no hud. Let me explain.

You wouldnt have a crosshair, or ammo counter, or vitals. So basically, keeping the want of being able to look at your character, while making it so players dont Cant use if for pvp. without a huge disadvantage Without knowing how much ammo they have, health they have, ya.

Tada. How about that, best of both worlds, amiright?

1 Like

You would still be able to peek corners, which is the real problem. Maybe a fairly long (5 second) transition period between third person to first person where the screen fades out and then in

or

remove it lol

1 Like

Stop

Just because you don’t like a solution doesn’t mean it isn’t valid.

yes it is a valid solution, but not a very good one either.

Its sorta like having an unbalanced gun, and instead of people wanting it to be balanced, they want it entirely removed.

Hell no , I know too much peoples used 3rd person in 3.x but if you remove that , that would be quite a loss , I mean , single players and PVE players wouldn’t be able to use it ether and as said previously , it would be a limitation for thoses cinematic players .

In my opinion removing third person could add use to leaning to quickly get a glace of what is behind a corner. Getting the drop on people who have no way of knowing you’re there is not fair at such close range.
I do however think nelson added clothes physics,
A freemove crosshair with only first person in mind. There better be high resolution mirrors if there is no third person so I can see my damn character.

Hey. It can’t be called removing if it’s not added in the first place.

2 Likes

That doesnt fix anything… You could just quickly change to first person and see all the information again in a matter of seconds and switch back

Yes, but it still makes it incredibly difficult to jump out and then adjust your aim. Think of it this way, you see some guy, jump out thinking your gonna wreck him, but realize your aim is off. Then you have to try and fix your aim after having gone in first person, THEN shoot at the person. Basically, it makes it impossible to pop out of corners then pop back in while hitting all the shots.

Also…

In case you havent watched the devlogs, 3rd person is already ingame.

I believe the best solution (aside from removing it) is 1) switching you to first person while aiming in and 2) adjusting the camera zoom based on what is in front of your character.

The game would essentially check how far away the nearest wall, floor, object, etc is and adjust your view based on that. If your face is a foot away from a wall, then the third person camera zooms in very close to your head. If you’re a couple feet back, then it zooms out to match that. This would continue until you reach the default camera zoom. And if you had your face smashed into a wall, the game would switch you back into first person until you back away again.

Doing this would create a situation where you can’t drop someone easily like third person currently allows, while also preventing players from gathering information when their face is wedged into a wall. However, players (like myself) who enjoy running around and looting in third person can still enjoy doing so.

Although, I wouldn’t be too worried either way due to how official servers will exist. I imagine Nelson would have third person disabled on some of them to enhance the experience.

1 Like

Not the best solution, because it would create quite a bit of lag. The game would CONSTANTLY have to scan every surface, of every wall and such. The only way to go against that is for nelson to manually place things that do that effect on EVERY SINGLE CORNER ON THE MAP. And even then, You could still stand back a bit from the wall and still be able to peek around corners, plus, what about buildables?

The games that this work in are pvp games, with prebuilt maps that dont change. Unturned is a game witht he ability to be able to create your own map.

I wouldnt say that is the best idea int he world, but it would work better than some of the others.

I am not very well informed on how such a thing would work but I was under the impression that a
Few rays (like hitscan bullets in old fps)
that detect the distance of nearest thing coming out from different parts of the character would do the trick.
(Like rangefinder but works on everything)

Explain why this is incorrect please I am curious

The smoll block is the players head

Why are there rays. Shouldn’t it be bullets?

1 Like

I don’t know that this is quite accurate. If I recall correctly, 3.0 already has a system that prevents your camera from going into walls or ceilings by adjusting it, and in one of the devlogs Nelson showed off how guns would be moved vertically if you were too close to a wall. There are also range finders which constantly check your distance from whatever you’re looking at. I believe something is constantly scanning in each scenario that activates a game mechanic, which would theoretically work the same or very similarly.

But then again, I’m not too far into game design so I wouldn’t know for certain.

Adding a collider to the camera is not laggy or performance intensive at all.

What you’re describing is literally already done by entities and even the existing 3rd person camera in 3.0, to a degree.

Pretty sure the guy originally said that it would scan nearby surfaces to determine if you could use third person there.

Yes, that is what I, the guy, said. I also explained how this shouldn’t be too much of an issue.