A warning against 'The Paywall'

What guarentees me stuff like this won’t happen more in free servers?

3 Likes

i wish i could understand something in this burbling

2 Likes

I’d buy the pass even if I did not want to play on the servers, just to support Nelson.

What you fail to see is this: If they do not work, Nelson still gets money to do what he loves, making games. Worst case scenario players do not get their moneys worth, word spreads, nobody buys it unless they want to support Nelson.

A big and/or well organized group will always dominate the server(s), always been that way and probably will be. Do you want them to be punished for organizing?

Me and a bunch of friends run 4 vanilla servers, and there are pretty much always 3 to 5 players on there give or take. And they are basically always in the high double digits if not outright full during prime-time.
That is with unreasonable amount of rollback, lag and what you’d call “ab00sive admins”. I don’t see why literal official, properly hosted servers would do any worse.

7 Likes

welcome back to another episode of: “everyone dogpiles rain!”

Battleye, and I know you will probably say “battleye doesnt work, ive seen x cheaters” Can’t validate your estimation, but I can count the amount I have seen on my fingers so :man_shrugging:

So UII is completely screwed no matter what and will flop as a game? Awesome.

Thats quite the assumption, he probably liked the meat of your post

This is actually a fair point, but normal people who can afford to waste time playing video games can usually afford to pay 5 dollars, and the “officialness” might attract a decent chunk.

…Other zergs?? Why would this not happen on free servers?

:thinking:

Again, a massive massive assumption.

6 Likes

no shit mate

yeah whatever you think

there are no issue with some nolifers dominating other nolifers, either kick their ass or embrace and quit whining

thats exact point of survival gaems, the survival, and hostile environment is a part of it either by nature or 15 year olds

why double edged? because a official server is obviously better than some server popped recently with
vip kits and 100$ for admin

1 Like

“Running” vanilla. Do you mean like… genuine vanilla servers? Genuine vanilla is terrible. It does not have

• auto-saving
  • The ability for staff to effectively moderate
  • Permission tables to prevent server staff from having unnecessary abusive permissions, such as spawning items, vehicles, experience, and so on.

Rocket servers that are like vanilla are the best you will get. And there is not a single Rocket server like that, that is also popular, non-p2w, so on.

I think you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Nothing. But the DLC is an official contract between you and SDG giving you access to servers. That are empty or dominated by elite groups. Nobody would like that, and it looks bad on Nelson and, ontop of that, you dont have to spend money to join a community server.

If they do not work, Nelson gets a negative reputation and so does his DLC. The contract is useless.

What you fail to see is this: Even the most elite groups can be taken down, under the assumption the server is full. Furthermore, with the Better Together suggestion, rival groups of the toxic clan can team up to out-compete them. We are under the assumption that the servers will not be full because they’re worthless, and so again, as I clearly stated in the post

Vanilla. Genuine vanilla. :heavy_check_mark::male_detective:

What does BE have anything to do with this? The argument here, that I think you mistaken-ed, is that the whole idea of the “passive” protection of pay-to-play is foiled by the assertion that nobody will pay. Theres no players to protect. I can run an empty pass-word protected server and claim I’m “protecting” everyone on it from hackers by making it whitelisted. Does that mean anything?

Regarding BE, I made an entire post explaining that its not working

All games with community servers suffer shitty unfair ones. Some communities like Gmod dont do absolutely anything, and the people who distaste those servers eventually leave the game (like me) while the kids that are fine with it stay. Unturned can surely be like that, and it is like that evidenced in 3.0. The game is evidently dying down more and more, while people continue to call for good servers. A cool person in the community wrote this as a review

the%20truth

And there are many like it. Nobody can find good servers, and Nelsons attempt at providing a fair, fun one at the expense of buying the experience is just a rigged way to avoid dealing with quality control of the server-list.

This argument was already discussed in the linked initial thread. No, there are not. There are TONS of steam accounts playing Unturned that are not premium, IE, they haven’t bought anything on steam.

Some people are brand new to the internet, some people are under-aged and cant get money on the internet, some people only play free games like I did for the first few months on steam, so on and so fourth. Not everyone in your friend group is willing to pay 5$ just for dead servers.

Explained up

An educated guess.

Also, an educated guess.

cool, you see the problem. argument over. I guess we can sail back on home

No need to be rude about it

Haha. Yes. Very effective argument you have there.

“If you don’t like it, leave,” in all its variations, is a coward’s argument. It’s an argument made by people who are afraid of debate, don’t understand logic, and want to escape the fray as quickly as possible.

“If you don’t like, leave,” implies that arguing for change is not permissible.

“If you don’t like, leave,” implies that dissent is unwarranted.

“If you don’t like, leave,” implies that diversity of mind is out of bounds.

I think you are completely missing the point.

Did you… even read the post?

When I first started posting on the forum, I did one comment per reply and that was frowned upon. I apologize that you guys jump the gun and all post in unison before I can even reply effectively to the first person. Sorry, not sorry.

3 Likes

i rereaded your shit twice and i didnt found actual argument after “10$ to play official server bad”

1 Like

There seems to be a fundamental flaw in your understanding of the official server pass. The server pass will not exist to generate revenue or filter out undesirables. Nelson has said from the outset that the purpose would be to pay server costs. The number of official servers, and how long Nelson keeps them running will scale with how much demand their is for them, although at first the number of official servers will probably be based on the amount Nelson is willing to pay for the servers out of pocket (unless people purchase the pass before Nelson actually starts paying for servers)

14 Likes

Generate revenue… to pay for the server costs? Does it even matter what he uses the money on? That is beyond this argument, and pretty irrelevant in general. And yes, even if Nelson did not directly think or want it to filter out undesirables, it will.

Which is… exactly why I said there would be only a single Official Server. Because the demand will be so low for them, at-least after a while of toxic elite groups dominating.

3 Likes

honestly i rather would face big ass clans with my mates on official, stable server than some noobshits with hax or admin powah for 10$ on public

4 Likes

Well I for one would be willing pay money to avoid you.

8 Likes

I’m not trying to backseat moderate or anything, but I want this to be a genuine discussion without memes or other irrelevant stuff clogging up the stuff. Its almost a big post as it is. just kindly asking. :hearts:

7 Likes

Money does not work on AnComs. or so I have been told.
In all seriousness tho, it’ll keep people like Rain out, so that’d already be a reason for me to get it (besides wanting to support NolsoN).

3 Likes

someday you will face group of 12 toploots on every server and they will kick shit of everything they can reach or find, all your arguments sound that you are scared of them grounding your cute base and
your group to dust

1 Like

beans

Misunderstood mb

Not really relevant seeing as you aren’t saying how this is possible to fix, as official is just the best solution.

This sounds like a solution but how exactly would this work? Do you want a team of mods that are given massive amounts of power over the entire game to just ban servers??

Okay. Then they should just pay the 5 dollars, because:

This still isn’t a solution. If the servers are empty, zergs won’t play due to lack of competition/fun, if they are full, zergs aren’t a problem…What are you trying to say?

Its a wild assumption but hey :man_shrugging:

Must be rough ngl

1 Like

I uhh… explained it before. If you want to talk about that in particular, you can ask for this post to be revived.

Link above. My general philosophy on “Official Servers” is that

I’ve seen Zergs play somewhat dead servers before. As-long as theres a few scant players to toy around with and exploit, theres still some fun to be had. And with all this argument about “4.0 being PvE orientated!!1!” I’m sure they’ll have some PvE challenges they can do in the mean time while they wait for a scant amount of players to come online.

Also, you’re ignoring the fact that dominating an official server is sorta like a prize or trophy one can and will parade around with. There isn’t much merit in taking over some community server nobody’s ever heard of, but completely dominating the official server?

They’re still a problem, I simply said they can or could be possibly overthrown with enough cooperation and dedication amongst others. Its like a feedback loop.

Take for instance a server. Nobody likes playing an empty server. But if the server is full, others will want to play. The more players playing, the more players will want to join and get in on the action. I think the Official Servers will fail to reach a “critical point” where this feedback loop can sustain itself, at-least for a long time. If this feedback loop is not sustained, then theres not even the remote chance that there will be enough opposition and willpower to oppose these elitist groups.

EVEN if they can be rivaled, it would ultimately boil down to two big super-powers battling eachother, which is sorta the conclusion some people came to in the “Better Together” post. They said it would just become one big faction war, which is distasteful for freelancers or people that refuse to join either side.

edit: Better Together post, incase you dont get what I mean

If you are not willing to join either group in this hypothetical scenario, you’re not going to have any fun getting blasted off the face of the server.

This is how 90% of the controversial arguments I try to do play out. I get barraged with some legitimate questions or feedback. “And if you dont reply, you’ve lost” mindset settles in for almost everybody.

3 Likes

Isn’t a big feature of UII/4.0 the ability to host your own servers through Steam’s system? Not sure entirely how it works but I definitely recall that being a major thing Nelson wants to implement.

3 Likes

How exactly would this be better? All non-official servers would be relying 100% on donations to stay up, which would seriously lower the amount of servers as people would have to be hosting right out of their pocket, and even if nice people donate money to the server, It would still end up forcing someone to be paying for a server, except it would just be charity this time. Far less people own a dedicated machine that can run a server 24/7 than people who can afford five (5) dollars

2 Likes

He said something in an interview, about direct paying servers donations through steam wallet. I personally despise this, because it will just make pay-to-win purchases way easier and faster than they already are.

If he is thinking about partnering with a company to provide a quick, easy “rent server” button, then I mean cool I guess? Nelson makes a profit from advertising said company, and people get an easy avenue to renting (which is still bad in my book). But how does that have anything to do with Official Servers?

Yep. Just like mine. And plenty of other servers

This is quite lengthy and a little political, so to keep the thread shorter, its encased in this little box

Capitalist for-profit servers already host out of pocket. Its a business venture and “risk” for them to do so. Their servers do go away - that is, when they aren’t profitable and dont out-compete other servers.

Take for instance LYHME. One day the owner decided “hey my p2w ranks are pretty unfair, let me try making them more fair” to which all the “donators” didn’t like that, and sorta left. Meanwhile other notoriously for-profit P2W servers that make thousands of dollars a month (way more than needed to keep them hosted) stay popular, because they generally dont care if its unfair. They dont care about handling long abuse reports and upholding “justice” when they can just ban the player that is whining about abuse and carry on with their profit.

So I ask, would you care if there were less servers, especially if the servers that are going to go are unfair and generally unfun? These servers out-compete similar fair servers (bear in mind through shitty tactics. Not because they’re more fun, or provide a better experience like the free-market capitalism you learn in school would do), and I think with their absence these people are more willing to play into the server-hosting game for fun and for the community.

Without for-profit servers sending henchmen to other servers to apply as staff and sabotage them, such in the case of @ForeverBlue . Without for-profit servers buying out Youtubers such as Elitelupas to advertise their server, even if they dont even genuinely like the server or want to endorse it. Without for-profit servers clogging up the server-list.

In the post I detail how P2W servers make up a lot of the server-list, while also claiming that if we removed them all, the server-list would still be healthy. My point here (and the almost seemingly contradicting claim) was there in the absence of these P2W servers, fair servers will spring up and take their place. EVEN if they did not, the server-list if FULL of empty servers that nobody plays, because its so crowded.

Its like self-publishing your own book amongst a sea of other books. Sure, your book could be amazing, the cream of the crop, yet lost among the waves of other generally crappy, terrible books. Fair servers may be fun and amazing, and may be out there, but theres just so many complications and junk servers, especially P2W ones that are in the way.

(This is why I made “low tier memes for kicks” to highlight the sea of garbage servers. It was not an attack on any individual servers, yet thats why its locked.)

There are plenty of people who host honorable, legitimate servers for the community, and not for themselves. Not everything has to be profit-based for people to create things. Look at all the people on github, and various other places. Look at Linux and all of its free distributions. Look at all the free mods and maps available on the steam workshop. People have other incentives besides profit, and of course have other means to pay for server costs than to exploit mindless, snobby rich children.

Theres an extreme fallacy or problem with this, but I cant put my finger on it. So I wont even try.

4 Likes

You misunderstood armaros. Actually, server hosting by a click of a button on your own pc was already added in devlog 5

2 Likes