A warning against 'The Paywall'

The claim that their wouldn’t be enough demand to keep more than one server running could apply to gold servers, however, gold servers didn’t actually have any incentive to be gold servers, whereas official servers will be funded by the official pass.

12 Likes

“he makes a good argument so i’ll just ignore it”

24 Likes

What distasteful thinking? I am only using sound logic, avoiding any fallacies.

Harvest is right on the money here in regards to why Gold servers did not succeed.

12 Likes

Flat Earthers, despite having access to untold amounts of evidence that supports the fact that they’re wrong and that the Earth isn’t flat, will continue to deny any and all pieces of evidence. I believe we are seeing a similar case here.

10 Likes

:upside_down_face: So Nelson is ‘incentivized’ to run Official Servers because… they’ll pay for themselves? Does that make any sense? A community server could do the same exact thing. It isn’t much of an incentive. In both scenarios the Hoster does so for the community. Why would Nelson be any different?

3 Likes

isn’t that the business model of every fucking paid server company to exist

11 Likes

I haven’t heard of a server that you have to pay to get into that’s run by a community member, can you give an example?

1 Like

He is a developer. Is is highly common for developers to host servers, often times they are free to join, so I don’t think you need to consider monetary incentive here.

Edit: DayZ, Rust, H1Z1… etc

2 Likes

The reason why you have access to official servers in Rust and DayZ is because the game is paid.

8 Likes

You know what creates the incentive to make P2W servers? Costs. Servers cost money to run. 3.0 has no official servers, all multiplayer servers are provided by people in the community. Some people might be willing to invest money into keeping a server up, but some people need to keep the lights on. So they find methods of receiving funds to keep their server afloat. Donations require charity, so providing an in-game edge is the most common method of gaining revenue.

Premium Official servers is best solution to this problem in an otherwise completely free game. It will be an escape from the P2W, the hackers, and the little kids that no one wants to play with. For only 5 bucks. You also support Nelson and as a result give him the fund necessary to improve the game. You have to remember that Nelson isn’t planning on having micro-transactions in UII so this paywall is literally the only form of profit he’ll get from UII. So unless he changes his mind and introduces a virtual economy or better yet, just ask for 5 bucks up-front for the game, this is the best way he can handle it.

I still think he should just make UII pay to play.

10 Likes

This argument is going nowhere. What we need…is a poll.
Please note that UII is already confirmed to be free with a official server pass, so I doubt this poll is going to change much.

• Unturned II should be pay to play
  • Unturned II should have official servers, but they should also be free
  • Unturned II should have official servers that require a purchaseable pass
  • Unturned II shouldn’t have official servers
  • Null option for accidental votes

0 voters

2 Likes

i prefer clear pay-to-play official as long it costs reasonably

1 Like

That’s because Dayz and Rust cost money. They don’t need to charge people money to use their Official servers because they can already afford the upkeep due to the money they make from intial purchases.

UII is going to be free.

Servers cost money to run.

So if the 5 buck premium to play on Official servers is removed then Nelson is losing money on UII

And when a developer isn’t making money, he can no longer develop the game.

9 Likes

Hey guys try to no dogpile/repeat things, if someone already said it, there isn’t a need to say it again.

The server pass would be 5 dollars iirc

So long as he continues to repeat himself and fight a losing battle. We’ll continue to explain to him why he’s wrong.

1 Like

A poll doesn’t metaphorically get us somewhere any faster than continued arguing would, it just shows where we already stand, and bribes arguing points is the only way that you can hope to move someone from one stance to another. That being said, polls are always appreciated, atleast in my opinion.

This is kinda tangential, so I can move it a new thread if you prefer, but what if there was some sort of demo or trial of the official servers?

Resumen
Este texto estará oculto

Will Yarrr ever finish typing?

2 Likes

It will just turn out to be like any other survival game. Huge groups of 12 year olds using aimbot, pay to win ranks and tiers, and all the other horrors. Good servers won’t be official servers, and would be single servers run by small, dedicated groups of people, not huge gaming networks that have 50 dead servers and a discord server full of screaming children (like the current state of 3.x)

It’s kind of inevitable that official servers will be shitty. Huge waiting queues, and then you get sniped within seconds of playing. Getting good will not be able to be done, because of all the pay-to-win people and huge groups with their pay-to-win gear.

I think I dont understand…

How would an official server be pay to win?

7 Likes

I’ve always said UII should be Pay to play, but that’s confirmed 100% not to be the case, so there’s no point in pushing for it anymore.

I also have a point regarding hacking on official servers.
BattleEye is a great anti cheat, but sometimes shit slips through the cracks and mods appropriately ban those people manually. But either way what’s the chances of someone hacking on a paid server? They would be risking just throwing money away, pretty obvious point, but that’s one of the reason I think paid servers are not just ideal, but warranted.

1 Like