A warning against 'The Paywall'

Can’t make money with out one

Even cosmetics are a pay wall as those that pay have them and those that don’t… Don’t.

The point is shifting the monetization away from things that split the player base.

Cosmetics is the fairest way just don’t have effects and bright colours, stick to the games overall dark, apocalyptic theme and it’ll be fine (lije I said in my first comment)

Bright eh.

2 Likes

case: 3.0 gold upgrade
point: contradicts this statement

case: paywalls often mean unfair advantage, or otherwise something meaningful is blocked off when it doesn’t have to be
point: cosmetics aren’t necessary, and they aren’t meaningful

case: 3.0
point: official servers will split the player base. vanilla and non-vailla will split the player base. survival and RP will split the player base. the player base is already split hundreds of times, and 4.0 will be similar. Cosmetics and map editors are very minor, yes, that still doesn’t mean that its a good reason.

too lazy to continue. again, im not really paying attention to this post for a while lol

I notice that this post is 27 days old, however is still being discussed.
To be honest, I only read the first few comments then the last couple comments, so if there’s anything I missed, be sure to quote it.

Now, to comment on the post itself, it’s relying on a very big IF.

To you, that sounds extremely plausible, maybe even close to confirmed. But to me, that is not even close.
First of all, the paywall is barely 5$. No matter how poor you are, unless you’re on the street begging for money or suffering with shitty internet, then $5 can be affordable.
Gold provided access to cosmetics that weren’t marketable and were very Meh! The real thing people looked at when buying the Gold upgrade was the extra faces and colors you got for your character. And look how much that made. Imagine if that was all free, but the 5$ were to get access to an official server with stable ping and (hopefully) fair admins. I’d buy that in a heartbeat, ESPECIALLY when I get a chance to experience Unturned to the fullest and know how it plays before buying the official pass.

Next, you talk about clans of 13 kids coming in and casually taking over the server, when even 3.0 has a system against that. Tbh idk how accurately it works because Im not a tryhard kid on a free game, but let’s just assume that it does the job. Then official server can limit groups to only 3, or even 2. Another thing about this is that you are comparing II to 3.0 which is a very amateur mistake, very disappointed in you Rain. The only reason these clans are so powerful, because there’s nothing actually stopping them besides players. Temperature, Food, Drinks, Ammo, Weapon Fixing, etc. In 3.0, this is not a challenge at all. In fact, it is the sole reason why people go on multiple genocide attempts. Food and water are extremely easy to come by. Ammo can be farmed from xombies, and weapon fixes are a joke in 3.0. However, in II, food and water (again, hopefully) will be a big challenge to get, let alone ammo and guns, and (and again, hopefully) xombies. So it’s going to be a big challenge to fulfill these needs with a capped team limit because their focus will be more on saving ammo and gettng food instead of just camping the ONLY military base in the map with no fear of xombies, running out on food/water or ammo/guns. This also needs to be considering the map being played on. Does it have more than 1 military base that aren’t small enough to be easily invaded? Are they far from a city that has food and water? Is the food hard to come by? Are the xombies in said cities considered a threat? If all these questions are answered with yes, then it’ll be much harder for zerg clans to take over considering only a few should be playing in the same server.

These debunk most of your points that claim that the official server will be dead due to zerg clans and “why would people buy this”. If you want your friend to play so much, whydont you buy a copy for him considering you’re a hard-working server owner with nearly 6 thousand hours of “playtime” on record.

I rest my case

6 Likes

Imagine us regulars can be admins on the servers

3 Likes

What you are currently describing, Mercury, would truly be the worst thing to happen in the game’s history :sunglasses:

13 Likes

Not all of the regulars would be fit to administrate. but I would

5 Likes

I know but it would be fun, also like some regs only. And only for one of the official servers not all of them.

My first act as Regular Admin is to ban GHJ, Pork, Molt, Yarrrr, and Danaby from as many official servers as I can. I don’t actually have anything against them but it’ll make them all mad :laughing:

3 Likes

My first act as Regular Admin would be to close this thread lol.

8 Likes

Now that I think about it, how would official servers work? Would they all be vanilla, set on different maps? Or would each server be left up to the manager in terms of difficulty, maps, server settings, plugins, and workshop mods?

Official servers will be vanilla and have zero plugins.

This much we know for sure.

2 Likes

I hope that there will be maybe 6 servers per map 3 in Europe and 3 in North America, with each region having a server of its own on each diffuculty.
As for mods and plugins it is confirmed that official servers wont have any mods or plugins.

South America, Asia & Oceania are also a thing but yeah

5 Likes

I am also all for giving the eastern block their own server, I for one am tired of “ruski est?” and egenral cyrillic spam in global. They can speak whatever language they want but gigving them thier own server would help them find fellow players that speak their language and help the rest of us by doing the same.

4 Likes

I think Nelson should seriously consider using his official server paywall to pay for some land in the Australian outback or someplace similar, where he can get land cheap and set up solar panels to keep the official servers running indefinitely. Sure, Europeans might get 2000 ping trying to connect to these servers, but wouldn’t it all be worthwhile when the servers are able to keep going through an actual zombie apocalypse?
/s

8 Likes

Now if that isn’t a 500iq plan then I don’t know what is

1 Like
  1. Donations (like via gold upgrade) slow down when the amount of new users to the game slows down, it ain’t sustainable…

2. I never said they where necessary or meaningful, I said its fair on the community, cheers for irrelevant reply though.

3. No no no you don’t get to make up your own definitions for things, pay wall is any barrier you pay to pass… what’s on the other side doesn’t matter… What you described is pay to win.

Stop signing off every reply with a way to seem better than others… it’s real douche - ish.
(bright suggestion LOL for example)

Coughs in Australian

Oh no no no, you don’t get to wish wash the definitions of things. Right now you’re insisting paywall =/= unfair advantage. However, theres plenty of servers that make use of paywalls to give unfair advantages. The greatest example being Freezzer making HMG boxes donator-only -
“something meaningful is blocked off when it doesn’t have to be”
If Nelson made a paywall where only certain items in-game can be used by certain players whom play, that is a paywall that might give an unfair advantage. Greatest example being early 3.0 where Gold Cosmetics were actual items you wore, you spawned with, and had inventory space. When you died you dropped your clothes, and when others tried to pick it up it just despawned. If we say you didn’t spawn with the clothes, rather you find them, its a paywall for certain items.

Paying and then playing on a server is not an unfair advantage, not by a longshot.
It helps run the server and prevents what you correctly label “unfair advantages” or P2W.

8 Likes