Armor in II

3.0 armor is kind of a joke. People actively avoid spec ops and just use normal military or even thief clothing just for storage.

Why is this? Because TTK isn’t impacted enough between types of armor.

I’d like to suggest a somewhat basic tier list for armor that doesn’t just end in regular military, but instead goes a bit further. We’ve already established Excursion zones are going to be hell, so why not some end game end game stuff that comes with downsides but unique abilities? (more on that under Advanced)
I wanted some end game equipment that was a bit more interesting than just bland Spec Ops, and gear that requires a bit of investment in order to get it’s full benefits.

What I'm factoring in for this suggestion

Armor plates that can be swapped out of armor. Higher tiers may not be able to be fit into lower tier vests. More variety at the later stages with dedicated plates for different types of protection alongside regular all purpose plates.

Limited customization for gear, such as clip on lights, pouches, holsters, etc.

The ability for vests to allow for easy access to magazines (therefore all mags in your vest are more easily reloaded, but require you to manually store them in your vest).

That for the most part clothing by itself (tops and bottoms) won’t offer much protection, besides from say the weather (or for biohazard related clothing, blocking out radiation), but later stages can see clothing actually act like armor, and with improvised variants that have metal strapped on at the cost of speed and other factors.

Penalties/boosts for armor/clothing. This would include mobility (how easily you can jump, crouch, go prone, turn, etc), speed (how fast you walk and sprint and for how long), health, reload speed, etc. This would even include vision.

Plates that can be swapped in and out of armor, and come in a few different types. These different types would mainly be based on dealing with a certain type of damage. They would come in 6 tiers (although keep in mind, I also use the tiers as a rating system so not all armors can have plates, they’re just on par with say a tier 3 plate). Higher tier plates would not work in lower tier vests.

Bullet penetration. Higher caliber bullets will be able to penetrate armor, and heavier rounds even if they do not penetrate will still cause blunt damage to the player. Lower caliber rounds, like .22 LR and even 9mm can easily do little to no damage to higher tier armor, but can still cause blunt damage to stuff like Swat and/or can still be a threat to unarmored players or exposed areas of an armored player.

Civilian/Police

Mainly how it is in 3.0. Would include helmets like Construction and Firefighter ones as well as really old WW2 era helmets, Bike/Crash helmets, as well as a basic Civilian vest, various bandoleers, and other knockoff/aftermarket attachments and clip ons for gear.

Firefighter: The helmet would protect against really basic damage but overall wouldn’t do much. The clothing would protect against fire but not completely remove it, only extend the time before you start to get affected by fire and end up getting burned.

Construction: The helmet would protect against a bit more than a firefighter helmet, but the clothing wouldn’t do all that much for you outside of being handy for carrying around tools and such.

Civilian Vest: There’d probably only be one model of civ vest. It wouldn’t feature any form of customization. Tier 1 plate, can’t accept anything above that.

Police: Also similar to 3.0, with a few more options. Overall civilian stuff but a bit better.
Police helmet: A basic police helmet that offers more protection and the ability to attach a clip on light.
Police Vest: Able to take tier 1 and 2 plates.

Militia

Militia: Pretty much civilian but a lot more varied and overall better. Includes a mix of improvised masks/armor, and surplus military gear.
Some of the improvised armor may feature more protection than other more advanced tiers but at the cost of limited or no customizability and heavy penalties.
Militia gear includes old Soviet/NATO vests and gear dating back to the early stages of the Cold War, metal-based masks and vests, various bits of improved civilian and police gear, and overall serves as an intermediate tier, as well as an early example of light vs heavy playstyles. (lightweight gear vs heavier improvised metal stuff). Tier 1-3, but very limited in regards to plates. The tier 3 vests would likely not be plate-based to begin with.

Swat/Riot/Counterterrorist

Basically improved police gear, but with more specialized armor sets. Swat and similar types would be good against general gunfire, while Riot would be more anti melee/blunt damage.
Swat would see decent customizability, with pouches and such being able to be added and removed. There would not be multiple kinds of Swat vests however.
Riot would be somewhat limited in that regard, but would make up for it with decent ranged protection and very good melee protection, although it’d weigh a decent amount.
Tier 3.

Military

Military is where you truly see more customization. There would be two military armor types: Light and Heavy. These would be able to be customized and be able to affect reload speed, storage, etc, with trade offs.
A few examples of what would be available (this format would be used for Spec Ops, and very limited Militia/Swat:
Light Chest Rig
Light Plate Carrier (able to take up to tier 3 plates, has some more room for pouches)
Heavy Chest Rig (can carry more than Light but obviously weighs more)
Heavy Plate Carrier (able to take up to tier 4 plates)
Heavy Body Armor (dedicated for protection, giving up other areas)

A Light vest would always weigh less than a Heavy vest, at the cost of never really being able to compare in terms of protection. In addition, various military grade attachments would be able to be found and would be of higher quality than civilian ones. Military clothing (shirt and pants) would not offer much protection against weapons but would be very useful for overall surviving and with a good amount of room for various things.
Tier 3-4.

Spec Ops

Spec Ops grade armor would delve even further into customization, but also into diverse playstyles. Light, Medium, and Heavy would be the core armors. Spec Ops clothing (shirt and pants) itself could provide limited protection against small caliber rounds, in the form of it’s Heavy variant (at the cost of weighing a bit more and having less room). The Light and Medium variants would protect less but have more storage and weigh less, with Medium being a good middle ground.
Spec Ops gear would overall cover more of the player’s body, and the Heavy helmet would cover the majority of the head.
Tier 4-5.

Advanced

Prototype powered armor with various manufacturers. These would be fairly playstyle based, and feature an average amount of customization. Probably would be mainly sourced from Excursion areas, or very hard to access research labs. Their real bonus would mainly be stats. The main idea is you give up more customization and generally speed or something else for a strong bonus. There would be a few notable customization options such as HUD elements.

All Advanced armor would require the user to be wearing a full Advanced Undersuit (think modern day “exosuits”).
This suit prevents you from wearing armor on your body, but is needed in order to use the Advanced armor, as it is designed to pair up with the Advanced armor. It also gives the wearer generic speed and weight buffs, but these buffs obviously get affected once you start wearing Advanced armor pieces.
This prevents people from just wearing one piece of armor in order to get a bonus (like a HUD). All sets would run off a source of power, based in the chest piece/vest of the set. A few customizable options such as mini solar panels would be available, but overall you would need a decent steady supply of power (in the form of Power Cells) in order to fully operate these sets.

Keep in mind they wouldn’t overall be too crazy, and I’d like to try to keep them fairly down to Earth. No fancy laser beams and shit. Just based on tech that is either in development, hypothetical tech, or just stuff that might come down the line in 20-30 years.

EXO Armor: A fairly generic set that overall is better than Military or Spec Ops, but lowers your movement speed. Doesn’t do anything special, but allows for good carrying capacity. Interferes with movement.

Main idea for this set is a generic, fairly common (compared to the other sets) set that isn’t good at much, but is very helpful in getting a full set of powered armor, as the undersuit you are required to wear won’t protect you well, and therefore a full set, mismatched or not, is needed. Tier 5.

STIM Armor: Advanced armor which when a full set is worn will grant the player an additional 20 health, and automatically apply syringes when the user falls below 65% health. The User can also manually trigger healing if need be, but this comes with a built in cooldown of 15 seconds instead of the normal 10 for automatic healing.
One downside to these syringes is that you would have to make them yourself, and make sure your STIM Armor was stocked up on them. Another downside is each time a syringe is used, your active Power Cell is drained slightly.
It would be fairly lightweight and offer somewhat limited protection.

The idea with this armor is a mid to close range playstyle, in which you are able to take a heavy shot or two and live to be able to return fire. It’d be overall a very adaptable set which would allow for some level of flexibility. Tier 4.

Vanguard Armor: Fairly tanky armor which enables a lockdown mode when a full set is worm, and an overall slightly better penalty for movement as you’re wearing a full set that actually locks in together properly.
The lockdown mode would completely cover the user’s head and body, at the cost of nearly cripplingly low movement speed, pretty much making the user a turret, and messing a bit more with vision. This would only last for about 10 or so seconds before the armor would have to recharge the ability.
Normally the user’s face would be at some level of risk, in the form of a visor which is somewhat weak and can be shattered to expose the user’s face. (bulldozer time)

The idea with this armor is fairly simple. Tank damage. It comes with a neat little ability which allows for even heavier tanking, but cripples your ability to do much of anything besides shoot. This armor would really weigh a lot, and interfere with running/walking and other movement. It’d also cover up your vision a tad (so would some of the other armors). This armor would be very good at defending against Turned or even a lot of armed npcs or players, but it would certainly suffer. Probably one of the more ‘extreme’ types of armors. It’d also be pretty power efficient. Tier 6.

Exploration Armor: High tec armor with built in survival systems, allowing the user to retain a good amount of their water. Also comes in with a very well established HUD, and the helmet has onboard nightvision and spotlights. The set would allow for quicker swimming and better movement across bad terrain. Would come with a built in gas mask to filter out radiation. It would keep the wearer’s body temperature stable. In addition the Armor would have good storage space, but fairly limited customizability.

The idea for this set is a more survival based, jack of all trades set. It’d be very good for exploring high end locations without having to worry about bringing a lot of supplies, including looting Excursion areas. This set would be based either around a nomadic/solo playstyle, or perhaps a more supportive role. Main downside is limited combat related abilities nor good protection against weapons.
Tier 3.

Stealth Armor: Armor designed for mid-long range combat, with a built in stabilizer to help steady the wearer’s aim. Improves movement speed heavily. Lightweight and doesn’t impact your ability to turn, prone, etc. Otherwise very low armor, even for powered armor, but fairly efficient at power drain.

The idea for this set is to promote snipers wearing weak armor, providing good bonuses for a long range playstyle. Tier 2-3.

23 Likes

to quote danaby with my own words:

“I didn’t read the post because it’s very long so it must be good”

5 Likes

I would agree that the number of bullets required basically only ever increases by one, and then it’s just bleeding leeway. Now, if you’re accurately jumping someone with a ton of lead, they’re going to die in about the same time regardless. I don’t think the intention is for armor to greatly draw out combat.

Easy support from me, and since it’s something already planned hopefully it is eventually added.

While it’d make sense to be in the combat demo, it’ll most likely appear whenever Nelson figures out a best system for quality/durability than what U3 does.

Part of the plan was to have fine-tuning your stance, kinda similar to ARMA’s stance adjustment system. It’d be interesting to see how the penalties/boosts could impact that, potentially outside of just changes in animation speed. At some point, the game could just refuse to let you enter a certain stance or have your body at a specific angle.

Definitely needed. It makes armor more relevant, it helps to give more balance options for guns, and it expands on the importance of the caliber system in U4 (especially with how some bullets can penetrate walls anyways).

1 Like

I think it would also be nice to factor in blunt force trauma despite armor.

1 Like

Armor certainly shouldn’t make time to kill extremely high, but it should definitely make you survivable, and make it so a newly spawned player with an ace can’t two-three shot a fully armored end game player without the end game player at least being able to take enough hits and live to fight back, especially if it took a huge amount of time to get geared.

Yeah, now that you think about it, I think if you’re wearing a super heavy suit then you shouldn’t be able to prone at all. On the flip side, perhaps certain armors would let you exit crouch/prone easier?

Yeah, I wrote about in the suggestion (unless I’m misunderstanding and you’re just agreeing).

I cited a smaller round like .22 LR or 9mm still causing blunt damage to police armor as an example, although again stuff like Riot armor would protect a lot more against blunt damage of any kind

Ah, I must have skimmed over that then.

Another good idea would be a passive load-bearing exoskeleton that can be worn over regular clothing, what it would do is increase carrying weight and decrease stamina use.

I’m assuming that the stimsuit would have a function somewhat like this:

1 Like

Uh this is the undersuit mentioned in the post. I have it more of you have to wear it in order to wear the Advanced armor, but it still provides bonuses to the player.

The idea is you are forced to wear a full undersuit in order to use the Advanced armor.

REEEEEEEEEEEEE
I was alredy making a post about armor but anyways

I think that armor and storage should not always be in the same clothing
and that it would be better if they would be separate

Body armor

Protects you but does not provide storage

Tactical rigs and vests

Provides you with space but no protection

tactical%20rig

Plate carryers

Provides both space and protection

could not agree more, sinc now anyone with a cobra can take down a fully geard player with ease if they are close enough

Really good post man (even thou im a little butthurt ovet it sinc i had one in the making, but i was to slow and took to much time to make it good xD)

When i say armour, you say

B U F F C A T

fortnite reference

I’m down with everything but power armor is pushing the limits of imagination just a bit with built in stabilizers and armor lockdown. Not saying it wouldn’t fit in Unturned but maybe as a mod instead of Vanilla. Maybe instead of power armor there could be a bracing system to take the weight of armor off of your body and restore some lost movement speed.

Lowe’s teamed up with Virginia Tech to create this ‘exosuit’ (Think of it like a weightlifting belt but better)

tbh, we do have working exosuits, and advanced military gear ect. We just dont have Batteries that are efficient at such a small size.

-We, as in this is military tech in America… which it could be far more advanced as the military doesnt really show much of what they have to the public.

I mean consider the fact that it’s been a long standing thing of Unturned to feature fairly futuristic stuff like the Shadowstalker (nvm the fact Nelson allowed the Focus guns in the game which I would say is pushing it a lot more in that regard).

A possible lore based reason for their existence is the Excursion zones. We’ve been told they’re abandoned “fortified complexes”, but made by who exactly? I really don’t think it’d be out of place to connect the Advanced armor with these zones.

@skoeldis I mentioned under Military armor a few examples for that, although I should have made it a bit more obvious that straight up body armor wouldn’t provide storage while rigs and proper plate vests would.

A good way to explain the power requirements of an exosuit as well as allowing it to fit into the game would be sourcing stuff from excursions.

I was thinking for more in depth lore, that some of the tech would have been recovered from these zones, hence some of it spawning outside of Excursion zones (mainly just the generic Exo set, undersuit, power cells, and other basic modifications) in high level lab areas, while the rest for the most part would spawn only in Excursion areas.

That way it’d be possible to get some of the Advanced armor stuff, but you’d be forced to do an excursion in order to find the more stronger variants.

I wear spec ops, because obviously statistically it has better stats. Just saying it’s a bit bad to go off and say “People” - inferring “everyone”

one of Fight fighter’s helmets purposes it to protect against failing debris. Perhaps in 4.0 falling debris could actually cause damage (for instance, raiding a base and a wooden wall gets exploded, and chunks of wood fall down upon you). Of course, other helmets could do the same. Just a minor suggestion to the overall post. Obviously other helmets could do the same as the ff.

Looking at the “Spec Ops” and “Military” sections instantly just gives me a feeling that the “Light” versions of vests or armor will simply be the meta. Thats just how I feel. Such versions will either be too buffed or too nerfed whereas everyone would use them or nobody would use them.

OK, now we’re getting into some fallout power-armor sci-fi stuff. I think this suggestion was pretty good up until the “advanced” section. I can’t say much about the rest.

Back again, somehow, someway.

While arguing around on the steam forums after someone suggested that we should be able to have 4 main slots (he argued 2 for Primary’s, 2 for Secondary’s) I got the idea that, maybe, certain vests or what not could unlock or allow the use of a second Primary or Secondary slot.

For instance an actual holster on a police vest may add a second secondary slot, while dbngwoebeofbefb idk something on the spec ops vest allows for another primary. Something along those lines would give certain, or higher-tier vests / armor a better value or ability.

Hmmmmm. Interesting idea.

Hmmmmm, Then we're missing something.

image<----