Bendy vs Blocky Character Debate

Yep, i dont see it neither, i think they use this argument “i dont want unturned to be roblox” as an excuse. Because it is not like roblox.

2 Likes

it’s one capsule head away from roblox.

2 Likes

unturned was literally spawned from roblox who cares if they share similarities lmfao

8 Likes

This is the most clever and epic phrase i ever heard

I think it’s better if we have a blocky body but bendy limbs, I wonder how would that look tho

look what I just found!
I like the look of some of the blocky guys in here tbh. If Nelson got the .blend file maybe we could get some high-res screenshots?

EDIT: Forgot to clarify that this is Nelson’s screen shot from this topic.

9 Likes

I prefer the bendy character as it feels more natural for unturned to me and I really like how easy it is to aim on the simpel shape of it.

1 Like

This looks awesome!

9 Likes

@MrKoix Today, I will dismember geometrically consistent zombies.

t. me when blocky gets added

1 Like

I know everyone seems to have an opinion, but I thought I would share mine also.
I honestly prefer the bendy style. In my opinion with the art direction of Unturned II, it just seems smoother and makes more sense for it to be bendy. The blocky character, whilst maybe fitting the requirements better, does not seem to fit for me. It makes the game almost jump back about 10 years into the past when these were all the models. Bendy seems more refined.
Blocky characters seem more crude and coarse the way it sits. Although looking at some of those models by AdrianWR above, it honestly could work with refinement.
Whilst some clipping will be inevitable, I honestly dont have too much of an issue with it. I would prefer consistent art style and clipping to blocky character and no clipping.

I also think a lot of issues with regards to gun holding can be fixed directly by posture position that aren’t present currently in 3.0 and you seem to be using. i.e. when you hold a gun, you torso sits obliquely to your front and to your side, it changes angles.
But yea. In the end its your game Mr Nelson, and your opinion matters greatly as you will be developing it too.

4 Likes

A bendy variant of that one would be perfect.

2 Likes

wow i like it
if the fists doesnt look too thick i would be happy!

Dismemberment could work on the bendy model, but would be significantly more work.

For example, consider dismembering the arm from the body:

• Both the naked torso and all clothing torso meshes would need to be designed with hidden geometry that only becomes visible once the arm detaches.
  • Since the bendy arm has faces connecting the shoulder to the body there would need to be a separate meshes for dismembered naked and clothing arms.

Conversely on a blocky character the arms and legs can be dismembered without any of that extra work. Hands, feet, and the head could be detached as well with a little bit of extra effort to hide the writes, ankles, and neck.

8 Likes

This, please.

well this all clears up. thanks man for you’re detication

4 Likes

I think change in this instance for the state of the game is a good thing. Trying out a new character rig wouldn’t be a bad thing persay. I personally would like to see what the blocky rig doing animations would look like. But so far, I think the blocky rig is a step in the right direction. I read someone was saying the contrast between unturned’s 3.0 bendy rig with the blockyness of the world gave it the unturned charm. Why not not flip it this time. I feel it would still give nelson the ability to give a lot more detail while still keeping to Unturned’s art style. In the end, I choose the blocky rig. I just feel it would solve problems that the current rig has and allow for nelson the freedom he may not have right now. Though I am slightly concerned on what problems the blocky rig may bring but I feel it may still be better than current ones. Anyway, stay safe Nelson and everyone. We will come to some sort of solution. Peace.

3 Likes

“Pretty silly and looked childish” welcome to unturned. It isn’t a game that looked/looks realistic anyway but I agree the player models shouldn’t have those stupid bends that happen when you hold certain guns

2 Likes

please no more weird characters being stretched like playdough

dude that hurts my feelings atleast i like something that ain’t looks like a doll.

What are you talking about?