Doors and locks

I’m just going to rephrase what you said.

It’s balanced because it’s rare.

The battering ram is balanced because wooden doors would be rare.* ? Or did the conversation switch to the balance of “good” locks?

My suggestion is to just not have battering rams at this point. At most: have key locks, have code locks, have built-in controls for end-game placeables, and have deadbolts. Make fire damage the counter to wooden bases instead?

The balance of “good” locks was what the conversation switched to. I personally don’t agree with fire damage, just because it could be annoying and an easy way to raid.

A battering ram that can easily break any door open, no matter what preparations that a player makes would make raiding bases easy too.

Well then you get a good lock. Not spamming a bunch of sub-par locks on a door.

Disagreeing, because fire is planned* to be implemented as a more major feature, and it realistically wouldn’t be as good as LMG raiding in Unturned 3.

This though. Not that battering rams should exist, but that the cap really should just be one lock, imo.

Balance and usefulness wise, I’m definitely more concerned for the battering ram than locks. All locks should be craftable, imo, if they’re going to replace the current system. Any of the “find the best super-lock” concepts are silly, in my opinion.

A battering ram should be found as an item spawn if added, and as a mostly-normal melee weapon. Rather than give it special mechanics, I feel that just making it a hard-hitting melee against wood makes more sense. Or, go back to the idea of only making it effective against deadbolts and/or wood doors, and useless otherwise.

The main issue I see with balancing a battering ram though is that it’d probably be reusable, which helps to make all wooden/deadbolt doors on a server obsolete once one is found (under the assumption it just knocks door down/open as its primary function).

What could be done mechanically instead is allow all placeables to be damaged by melee after a certain percentage threshold is reached, and then the battering ram could just be a very good placeable-knocker-downer from then on. Still a bit awkward, but far more forgiving on bases.

1 Like

I did say that the battering ram should be useless against all locks from the code-lock and above, and can only be used on a wooden door. Keeping it as a melee weapon would be kind of bad because the way I set it out is that it would be an epic-rarity spawn in police-grade locations.

I also stated that it should be single use as to balance it. Say you’re raiding a base, you could save it for a door that you know good loot is behind. Or you could get lucky and find a bunch and hope that they all have wooden doors.

I can see where you are coming from with the damage against structures mechanic, and, a bit unrelated, but I think if you light a base on fire it should burn most of the items if they’re not in say, a locker. Like real fire.

Your battering ram post =/= this post

Ah. Mine’s better imo

Or we can simply use Sledge Hammers, Camp Axes, Fire Axes (they’re basically built to break down doors), and Battering Rams. All of these can be used to break down wooden doors. Battering ram being the slowest, but highest in damage. The hammer being in the middle, and the axe being the fastest but does least damage (still decent amount of damage, just not as good as the others)

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, but how would we balance the axes because these would be common spawns, right?

I personally do not think a battering ram should be added. Here’s why.

Sledge hammers and other melees like it could be used to break wooden stuff, but they should be balanced by the fact that they can break (i.e animation plays where the head of your sledge hammer breaks off).

A battering ram couldn’t really do that. You can’t just break the handle of of a ram.

I also hope for more building tiers in 4.0. There should be at least four tiers total.

Make camp axes do low damage
As for fire axes, simply make them more rare.
They aren’t overpowered as they would require a bunch of swings and make a lot of noise in the process and at the same time encouraging people to use metal doors if available

Haven’t we already discussed building tiers a loooooonh while ago. Hound and I made the ideas and a lot of people liked it.

But if I’m on a low population server, I could technically raid everyone as long as they’re using wooden doors, with just an axe.

actually fire damage could be balanced, usually if theres a wooden base, theres wooden crates, so maybe if something is made of wood and is burned down, all the items in it would be destroyed.

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking too.

With a low population server, you won’t find wooden doors. Because everyone would have the oportunity to build metal doors by that time since it’s less risky to go out.

id say cap it at 3

you can break the handle of the ram lol