Follow up on my generated guns concept for unturned II

Sure buddy

https://blog.smartlydressedgames.com/unturned-4-x-devlog-001/

" I want 4.x to be more geared toward survival and PvE than the average 3.x server (PvP) so this may seem counter-intuitive, but I think these are some of the core complex features of the game that everything else is built upon."

I dont see hardcore realistic shooter in there? Edit: i mean hardcore realism centric survival game

I said nothing about Unturned II being a shooter FYI.

Yeah already edited

Proof #1

Proof #2 (See Nelson’s reply to my comment)

Proof #3 (Nelson in response to a hyperrealistic gun related suggestion

Proof #4

Proof #5 (The various other people who have cited Unturned II as being hardcore survival, though I am of course a primary advocate)
https://forum.smartlydressedgames.com/search?q=hardcore%20survival

Proof #6 (more citations)

I could find a lot more.

2 Likes

On top of everything GHJ said, the fact that Nelson also said “Realism for the sake of realism is bad” gives insight into the fact that Nelson wants the game to be more realistic. The quote in question is just a caveat that he set in place to that people don’t exactly go super hardcore realism simulator XXX.

I dont see mixing and matching random guns that are not compatible in any way shape or form, which doesnt make the game more interesting and instead takes all the reward and interest that comes from finding valuable and good guns, while also dumbing down gameplay and gunplay as there WILL always be a meta gun combination that is stronger than other combinations, instead of the inherent balance that would come with having guns be standalone, letting balancing work well. It would also make guns feel unique, which your idea, ironically does the exact opposite of as no guns matter, only their parts. The name combonations would also be godawful because most gun names dont have the classic two name combonation. In general bad idea that throws balance and fun gunplay out of the window by watering down all guns into a combination of parts that are meant to be swapped around, while also butchering any kind of desire for realism, which i personally dont really care to much about but hey whatever

edit this is really rambly sorry lol

1 Like

Well this would not be the main thing I think, plus the guy said that it was something made on rush. I even said that I think that the modles which he proposed are not the best but it’s the idea behind it that matters.

Now what’s a ghetto process, never heard of those o.O
Also important to mention, is that rifles that can use multiple calibers are a real thing. Ok maybe you won’t be able to use both 9mm and .50 cal with the same gun, but the entire thing is more then possible.

And anyway, who said that the whole point of the new process is to stop “people like me”, I thought it was the simpliest way to improve realism, that is actually one of the key features needed if you also want to improve a games immersion, and that’s Nelsons goal about UII.

Cus it will be actually your first “more”, meaning that if you could combine most of your weapons to create new ones, the available ones would be more (so variety).

You are right about this, but it is assumed that the story starts from where it left off, since UII is actually the sequel to UI, so the story is expected to continue (and the last time the world was more then a mess). But it could easily be a new story in which the infection has just spread so you’re right we can’t know for sure.

Well if in front of me I had a stack of metal, tape and forging materials, and on the other some evidently broken rifles, I would totally try to fix those for sure, maybe even trying to swap parts. It’s way more convinient that taking random materials and try to make a gun out of it, and here comes realism again.

Nothing is assumed. Just because the game is a “sequel” does not directly mean the stories are linear, or even parallel. Current 3.x enemies are referred to as “zombies”, but UII refers to them as “Turned”. For all we know, the two timelines can be vastly different.

You might wanna grab one of these to get your idea going.

Holy molly, you turned this post into a dumpster in less a hour!

2 Likes

All crew abandon ship. This thread is going down!

I still don’t see how RNG would make this fun or balanced. In the end I don’t see it feasibly happening either.

That’s my 2 cents, back to work on Yarr’s dungeon other projects

1 Like

Well since ever if you add a bigger numer to the same title of something you made, then it will mean that the new thing will most likely be a sequel of it, so assuming such thing even in unturned is more then legit. I mean find me some examples where the second episode of (insert name) talked actually of a brand new story. Maybe you will even find such proof but it’s an unlikely thing to happend.

Also the turned thing came out kinda recently but since it’s one of the central cores of the game (what caused the situation you’re living into) then I think that or he came up with it recently, or idk why keep the secret especially when any progress was shown? Turned could “just” be a mutation of the regular zombies for what we know.

I don’t see how discussing a topic that seems interesting to more then a few people could be seen as a bad thing, especially if the civil level is good.

You scums can’t decide if a ship is going down

This idea is better used in some battle royale game, where RNG will screw you over more than in a survival game.

This is pretty much the same as infinite randomly generated maps. It’s uncreative

3 Likes

Personaly the closest thing i want to this is advanced makeshift gun makeing.

Anyone with me?

4 Likes

Keeping civil is hard for people who take themself to serious :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re on the right idea lad

2 Likes

In this case weapons would be placed with sense from the editor and not by pushing a button to self generate things, plus the entire mechanic would be overthought ofc and not just thrown in so I gotta disagree with you on this.