From Crenelations to Palisades: An Essay on Building in Depth

Having difficulty keeping the zombies away from your base? Build a cheap and sturdy palisade wall to keep those greens away for now. Having issues with the local sniper? Build battlements and walkways on your palisades to protect you while you take potshots from your wall. And finally, did a mega zombie really have the audacity to breach your compound during the horde? Show that chonker your war cry while you shoot it safely from your newly built machiculations. More coming up as I bring medieval architecture and more to the future apocalypse.

Now for the basics. Constructables are building pieces placed by the master building tool. Deployables are items such as sentry guns and doors. I will also be using the building materials and expanding upon some of NarcolepticHound’s Building Bible. For all I know, this could be the Building New Testament. For those who didn’t click, the materials are wood, bricks, sheet metal, and concrete. This post also takes inspiration from other building systems, such as Rust’s. However, I make sure not to entirely rip off other games so Unturned II’s system can be unique.

New Concepts

Claim and Upkeep

Okay. I did say I wasn’t going to rip off other games. Unfortunately, Rust’s claim upkeep system is centuries ahead of nearly every other upkeep/decay system I’ve seen. It would be a crime not to take this aspect and improve upon it, as the tool cupboard nails the balance of letting abandoned bases decay, but also keeping that one clan member who logs on out of spite from keeping their megabase afloat just because they logged on for a minute. This system is easily tweakable, being configured in the server settings.

To improve upon this, two new systems can be put in place. The render system (which I will get into more detail with later) has the possibility to add long-term base progression and longer player investment, while a variable upkeep can reward players who maintain their bases well and punish those who do not.

Variable upkeep is my idea to add three different stages of decay to a base depending on the resources present inside of our Unturnified tool cupboard. The first stage is complete decay, which will slowly remove health from constructables and destroy them. The authorized players have not logged for over a week to cause this and there are no resources left for maintenance. The second stage is partial decay. There are no resources left, but some of the authorized users have been recently online. The base will slowly decay to about 50% or lower health. The third stage is maintained, with there being enough resources to keep the base up and running for a day or two.

There are all these features, yet there is no proper name for this workhorse. I dub this the workbench, one of the most vital features of a base that can be upgraded to facilitate higher tiers of construction and crafting. It will have a limited storage capacity, which can be upgraded by creating storage containers for each material type that work in tandem with the workbench.

The workbench can have features that further extend base building capabilities, such as automatically repairing damaged parts (by consuming small amounts of materials) once a variable timer has finished counting (a minute or few for minor damage, an hour or two for major damage). It can also allow upgrades that draw from a configurable resource pool, prioritizing the materials the player has on their body before drawing from the pool. The workbench’s features can be used by those who have authorized it before, which means it will require a lock to be secure. Like in Rust, there should also be a feature to purge this list.

Finally, the workbench will claim everything within a range of about 10-25 meters of its connected constructables. Non-authorized players will not be able to build in this area. All constructables in this area will be maintained and expand upon this claimed area.

Strong/Weak Parts and Stability

Every constructable will have strong and weak parts similarly to Rust. However, unlike Rust, I think that it would be more interesting and forgiving to add a small amount of weaker parts to each building piece depending on the type of constructable and material.

For example, the inside struts of wood walls and ceilings would be vulnerable to attack, compromising structural integrity if they alone were attacked. This makes destroying wooden constructables by hitting the inside struts much quicker than hacking at the tough logs on the outside. Sheet metal will share the same weakness.

Bricks and concrete on the other hand will be much more difficult to attack. Bricks can have two ceiling variants, one being supported by vulnerable wooden beams, or the other being vaulted, a trade off of space for strength. Concrete will be the strongest, having barely any weaknesses due to its nature.

Structural integrity needs to be present to keep bases within reasonable limits. It can be a simple system, allowing ceiling to only be placed so far out from a foundation, or a more complex one that takes height into account. Whichever is used, make sure triangles have about double the stability that a square does, since the length of 2 placed together is about the same as one square ceiling.

Alternate Constructable Placements

With so many proposed additions to constructables, there needs to be a way to keep the master building menu from becoming too crowded. This system is actually going to be heavily inspired from Minecraft, as the form of stairs changes based on direction placed and the blocks placed next to it.

Now ramps and sloped roofs can have inside and outside corners. Triangle sloped roofs can fit together without clipping. Machiculatons and walkways (half-ceilings) can fit together nicely. This can even be used to combine large and small door frames into one slot. Small can be built by looking at the center, and large can be built be looking towards the edges of the build hologram.

This system has huge potential to allow for a deep and diverse selection of building pieces. Many of the ones I will propose use this system. The possibilities are quite enormous here!

Renders

Finally, we’ve managed to get through this massive wall of concepts. Or did we? Vsause theme plays.

Finally. Renders. For those who didn’t know, a render is a surface applied to a building. Most modern buildings heavily use renders. Did you know that drywall was a render that is applied over the wooden studs that make the frame of your house? Stucco is also a render, although it isn’t as cool of a render as the one I am going to present.

The render I am presenting is the one similar to the ones used during the middle ages. It is made of quicklime and sand and is white in appearance. This makes it a good surface for creating murals and other art. Castles and other buildings during the middle ages were rendered inside and/or outside, as it improved the water resistance of materials it was applied and obscured whatever was beneath.

In Unturned, renders should be applied to building pieces as a more long-term form of base progression. Renders obscure what material type is underneath it, strengthen it slightly, and decrease upkeep. Renders can be used on any material, but take time to set. Renders can also be decorated to degrees much further than other surfaces. Do note that renders can only be applied to constructables.

Renders are applied by combining the prerequisite materials and applying them using a trowel. Renders can be crafted in the mortar and pestle. A concrete mixer can be used for more efficient recipes. Lime will need to be scattered across the map though. Lime should be fairly cheap to acquire. Renders should not be difficult to acquire, but instead timely to apply. I will not define a setting time, but instead open it for discussion.

Renders will have to be applied on two sides of some constructables (walls for instance). This gives players aesthetic options and the ability to cut costs if necessary. The decorative options available to renders will be superior, allowing players an option to paint on walls if they have a specific tool. Other surfaces can only be scratched or spray painted.

As a final note, renders may encourage more fair raiding practices because of the bonuses it applies. It would be a smarter move to more cheap to raid a base while the render is still being applied/setting and risk pvp, instead of offlining a base that is tougher and more difficult to raid.

New Constructables

Battlements and Machiculations

Battlements are the replacement of U3’s Ramparts. Ramparts truly only serve on function in U3: aesthetics. The conversion to battlements will allow both extrinsic and intrinsic motivations to use battlements, as they provide proper cover and room to shoot for its user. Here is a picture of a battlement below.

battlements

Machiculations are a variation of a battlement that extend out over the wall further than the typical battlement. These can be placed by moving a battlement in the master building tool (I’m going to call it MBT from now and on) over open air that is attached to a ceiling with a wall below it. Machiculations will have further alternate placements, such as inner corners and so on. Once again, MAHCHICULATIONS image below.

Machiculations will offer huge defensive options to the player. As you can see, those holes in the bottom allow players to peek down and through the battlements. Imagine the slaughter there’d be if the horde ever dared to set foot near your base!

Ceiling Frames and Murder Holes

Ceiling frames will have their own unique place in the MBT. They can be placed between foundations (they will have an alternate triangle version as well) and in between ceilings and snapable to walls. These can be used to hold collapsing ladder hatches/stairs and other accessories.

Murder holes are a variant of the ceiling that can be selected if the player aims for the center of the hologram. Murder holes are small holes in the ceiling that can be used to murder the unfortunate victims below. A player may not even have to expose themselves while using one, having the option to lob explosives, heated liquids, and rocks through them. A picture is below.

Sloped Roofs

Sloped roof tiles placed in wall slots. Finally, one can have a decent looking tiled roof and not the sodding ramp. One is meant for vehicles. The other is meant for roofs. Let it be that way. Heck, make it so ramps placed in wall slots make sloped roofs. It will be beautiful to see the day where I can make a proper sloped roof in Unturned. Also these have a purpose in making rainwater collection easier. Why have a flat roof with water catcher spam when you can funnel it through gutters to your reservoir?

Windows: Horizontal, Vertical, and Slit

Lets give windows some variety. Center aim will make a slit similar to the image below. Horizontal is the one we have in Unturned already, and vertical is like the one we have in Unturned but turned 90 degrees.

Slit windows will be very useful for personal defense, but they won’t be able to be accompanied by the gun mount I’m planning on going into detail with later.

Walkways

Walkways are half ceilings. Take a normal ceiling and chop it in half. Viola. You have a walkway. These would have snap positions in what would typically be the center of a square foundation. A worthy addition for the walkway would also be a stair that takes up only half of a foundation’s space. A ladder could do the same as well. Walkways can also be used to make hoarding-like sections by placing walls on the hanging edge and adding a ceiling.

Palisades

Palisades are like the log cabin style of wood we have in U3 except not at all, as the logs are placed vertically. Players will have the option to place palisades alternatives with all wooden wall variants as long as they aim at the base of the wall when placing on a foundation. Palisades are also placeable by default when a player holds a wall over terrain and not a foundation. Palisades can only be stacked two high with a battlement on terrain.

Palisades are cheaper (requiring raw not refined materials) to make than other wood structures and stronger. However, they can only be built one story high on foundations. Palisades will be every player’s go-to compound wall because they are cheaper to make than foundation spam.

Pillars

Hecking pillars should no longer be required to build walls. They still should serve the purpose of supporting the corners of open structures if there are no walls to hold pillars. I believe this should be so because pillars feel very unnecessary. They artificially increase the base building time by sucking up resources and being literally everywhere.

Vaulted Ceilings

Vaulted ceiling for bricks and concrete because they look heckin epic and and don’t require a very shifty looking metal beam that definitely wasn’t salvaged from a rusting 40 y/o toyota hilux. Vaulted ceilings are very strong and must have a enough variants to create a smooth interior. For all you know, you could find the secret to who Benson truly is underneath these ceilings. Photo below that I totally didn’t rip from google images.

Summary

TLDR

New Concepts

Claim and Upkeep similar to Rust’s tool cupboard in the form of the “Workbench.” Also has extra features serving as a crafting station, resource pool for building, and automatically repairing damage after a timer.

Strong and Weak parts on building pieces. For example, the support beam on the bottom side of a brick ceiling is weak. The outside brick is strong.

A Stability System to keep base building more tame and interesting. Can be a simple or complex system.

Alternate Placements for every item in the Master Building Tool similarly to Minecraft’s stairs. For example, inner and outer corners for walkway (half-ceiling) pieces.

Renders are a new lime-based material used to obscure the weaknesses and strengthen building pieces that takes time to set. Renders also open up possibilities for enhanced customization, by allowing full-scale painting for flex.

New Constructables

Battlements are basically ramparts but with alternating cover that protects the player better.

Machiculations are battlements extended out from the wall with down facing shooting holes.

Ceiling Frames are frames for ceilings that can items like trap doors put in them.

Murder Holes are small optional holes in ceilings that players can murder zombies or other players with.

Sloped Roofs are ramps but much better looking.

Vertical Windows are normal windows but orientated 90 degrees making it vertical.

Slits are really small windows perfect for shooting through.

Walkways are half-ceilings. These are good for using on compound walls.

Palisades cheap wooden wall variant that is stronger but requires a connection to the ground.

Pillars should no longer be required, but instead optional for support.

Vaulted Ceilings are really cool looking curved ceilings that are stronger but require more space.

That’s all for now. I did the edit pass I mentioned earlier this morning and added a TLDR for those who wish to see a slightly smaller wall of text. Deployables next!

• MAHCHICULATIOOOONS!!!
  • What is Machiculation?
  • Bruh Moment (Null)

0 voters

14 Likes

@F-35_Lightning_II This is a nice expansion to the Unturned II Building Bible.

2 Likes

Wow. Was making a post about the crafting tables but this blows it out of the water. My idea was that the crafting table would hold resources like you stated but you could craft things like crates and doors from its loot pool and replace the old tedious crafting and spilling of items on the floor.

But I like how you combined the idea of the claim flag, crafting table, and tool cupboard from Rust. I think your system would work very well for claiming, base decay, and taking old bases over.

I think the best things from Rust’s claim and decay system is like you said allows for servers to naturally clean themselves and for me its the ability for people to claim bases and make them their own. Some of my favorite memories in Rust is from finding old decayed bases stashed with loot. Or taking an old decayed base, claiming it and restoring its walls and roofs.

Outstanding job good sir.

2 Likes

Thanks to both of you. So far I’m working on creating graphics to help visualize some concepts and building pieces in a more Unturnified way. Here’s some of my progress so far:

4 Likes

honestly the base maintaining thing would be an absolute pain in the ass and would just be blatantly ripping off rust.

This would just be really annoying and make the game far more of a pain in the ass to play (like in rust!)

Just because something is in Rust doesn’t mean it is good, nor does it mean it needs to be in UII. There’s a difference between a game being hard for the sake of being fun and challenging and a game being hard for no point and just being not fun to play because you have to spend ages doing stupid mundane shit that feels like more of a boring menial task rather than something you’d actually choose to do for fun. If you want to play Rust, then play Rust.

also there’s like several other threads suggesting basically this same thing.

1 Like

The base decay mechanic is also in ARK I think, and yeah we shouldnt do total rip off we can have decay and the decayed ruin becomes a turned nest/hive/dwelling, the decay rates can be lowered to make it less annoying, it also gives something for high level players to do other than sitting around and raiding, it also makes you feel like you are living in a base not some magical palace designed to survive everything.

1 Like

Just because something is a feature from Rust doesn’t mean that this feature is objectively bad.

While I did suggest “ripping off” the upkeep system, I also expanded it. This doesn’t need to be its final form or iteration into the game. The upkeep rates can be tweaked to be much more manageable than Rust’s ridiculous ones, and as @The_Futurist suggested, totally decayed bases could become turned nests and enhance the experience of taking over old and abandoned bases.

This feature if tweaked well is not going to be grindy for the simplicity of grindyness. There are other logical benefits to storing the mentioned resources in the workshop, such as drawing building materials from it while building in auth range and automatically repairing the base from damage base after a reasonable timer.

3 Likes

My first assumption would be that you have never played Rust? If you did you would realize that this is a good system, not overly time consuming and helps with a lot of different aspects of the game. I can make a 2x2x2 in Rust and chop down maybe 4 trees and 4 Rocks nodes and my base will be safe for like 5 days. The point of the system is to help clean servers of wiped teams or players not coming back, and have a system that allows to claim bases after you have raided them, or let it rot. Its also nice to raid people and find there toolcuboard (workbench) filled with upkeep supplies you can use on your base.

Just because someone suggests a superior system from another game doesn’t mean that they want a clone and he stated that in the post. It is far far FAR more tedious to build a base in Unturned 3.0 survival than it is to build in Rust.

People have misconceptions on this forum about games like Rust and DayZ, that they are only reserved for sweats and its too hard. They have some great features that U2 can adopt and failures U2 can avoid while building off the core of Unturned 3.0. He made the system better by making the workbench act as the claim flag and crafting/building center. I really like the idea that when building in your claimed area you can upgrade your base from the pool of resources present in your bench saving you inventory space and weight reduction. He took a really good idea from Rust and improved it for U2.

This is only an improvement and would actually make the life of a builder easier in U2 compared to 3.0. I only have like 100 hours or so in Rust and can build large bases and up keep them with ease. A very well developed and forgiving mechanic.

I know you support the idea but this should not all be a reason for this mechanic. This mechanic isn’t meant to keep you at your base. It isn’t meant to be a menial task for the sake of it. But rather minor maintenance that shows a team is still present on the server. Like I said above I like how he merged the ideas of the claim flag, crafting table(Rust), and tool cupboard (Rust) into one convenient utility item.

I know in Rust, one big reason this being added was so that massive clans couldn’t build huge mega compounds that blocked other players out of content. I remember in old Rust before the update bases would just litter the world and zergs would block off sections of the map.

Unturned has a real authentic vibe, I think it would be a lot better to focus on improving and upgrading pre-existing mechanics to be more balanced and developed like 3.0 did, and 2.0 before it. Sure you can say that it’s far from copying the same mechanics verbatim, but if you don’t bring anything new to the table what’s even the point of it? Where is the innovation in that? To me that just seems unoriginal and unauthentic.

I feel like a lot of these suggestions come from people taking the ideas of mechanics from other games they’ve played that they think are good and not taking the time to think of their own innovative ideas that haven’t been done before.

Unturned has a real authentic vibe, I think it would be a lot better to focus on improving and upgrading pre-existing mechanics to be more balanced and developed like 3.0 did, and 2.0 before it.

Sure you can say that it’s far from copying the same mechanics verbatim, but if you don’t bring anything new to the table what’s even the point of it? Where is the innovation in that? To me that just seems unoriginal and unauthentic. I feel like a lot of these suggestions come from people taking the ideas of mechanics from other games they’ve played that they think are good and not taking the time to think of their own innovative ideas that haven’t been done before.

I have played Rust and didn’t particularly enjoy the game for a multitude of other reasons. Sure it’s a “good system” but does that mean that it needs to be in Unturned? To me that just seems very unoriginal, if you want a game to have the mechanics of another game then why not just play the other game instead, if you think its mechanics are so good.

If we wanted Rust, we’d play Rust.

How can adding one mechanic from a game and putting it on another game make the games the same?, the defining factor behind rust is not the decay system because the system wasn’t even in rust in the beginning.

This is more of an informational post, but Rust did indeed add the cupboard upkeep mechanics in December 7, 2017, which is a few months before their release from early access. Here is a link to the changelog. This particular change is under list 189. There is also a devblog here on the matter. Unbeknownst to me, Rust does make it so bases repair themselves. I haven’t experienced it myself, since the rate is the same as decay and is very slow to observe.

Rust has an authentic vibe as well and and taking inspiration from there decay/claim system will not be losing on Unturneds authentic vibe. No one will be like “man I feel like I am playing Rust right now” when getting on U2. Rust doesn’t own the idea of base decay and claiming either. Like @The_Futurist said it is present in ARK as well.

You said upgrading pre-existing mechanics but this is exactly what this is doing. We use examples like these from other games as inspiration and so that people can relate. See how they work. Like @The_Futurist said again the idea for decayed bases becoming turned nests has been teased as a feature and is new. I already stated in my last comment the innovations I appreciated in this post from the idea Rust has. Which you have failed to realize and stamped the post a clone.

The fact is we want Unturned 2 not Rust or ARK. But I will wait patiently for someone to come up with a better idea for base decay, claiming, building, and upgrading than this post that fits your description of “Unturned authentic vibe”. What is the alternative? Are we to keep the idea that bases don’t decay? What system could be more convenient to the player in U2? Are we going to have to go back to removing wood walls to upgrade to metal? The only real feature that “copies” from Rust is the idea that a storage unit controls base decay.

Rust is completely different to anything Unturned or U2. It has a different theme and a different tone. I am not going to play a game solely because I prefer their building features over another without considering the other features. Many things make up a game.

I made a post a while ago about why I believe U2 will breath fresh air into the survival genre and evolve the genre in general. I think with the teased ideas of things like excursions, bandit encounters, new AI threats, and improved survival mechanics (from 3.0) we will have a really good unique game. Borrowing a fraction of an idea from another games wildly successful system will not hurt this game or its originality.

Nelson liked this post himself and has hinted at the idea of a master building tool (I am guessing similar to Rust’s). He probably say some stuff in this post that he agreed with and liked. Nelson hinted at PoE as inspiration for a experience and skill tree system. Should Nelson just quit and go play PoE if he thinks there mechanics are so good. No ridiculous, he just appreciates the idea, takes inspiration from it and will take his own spin on it. Its one feature of a big game just like Rust.

3 Likes

For whatever reason I am no longer able to edit the topic (could have maxed out edits or be basic limitations). I’ll post new content in reply to this message when it is ready.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.