Gun names: real or custom?

That’s not a group
That’s a city in Syria xD

Saber-booth

Damas is the name of the city, Hamas is the organization.

Oh my bad
Just checked it on google :stuck_out_tongue:

The gay-kay 47

Currently I’m thinking unique names e.g. “Eaglefire” for all of the guns, but real names for the calibers and some of the attachments like “5.56mm STANAG Magazine”. Thoughts?

19 Likes

I’m down with this. Fake names but real calibers is a good idea.

1 Like

i’d still prefer realistic (but still fake) designations but that’s fine

One thing I’d be fine with is having are fake manufacturers with fake names like GTA does. Bravado taking the role of Dodge, Maibatsu as Mitsubishi, Schyster being a false Chrysler, and so on. I personally wouldn’t bother with putting a full name in the gun info list, but if Modular guns become a thing (Parts from one manufacturer or another having unique stats) it could add depth and would also make for good lore in gun shops (Posters and advertisements)

3 Likes

Fake but realistc names for guns, real life magazine name, fake manufacturers cars names, as the cars at it self

This was my personal preference, followed by how Antique did it and then Unturned 3, so :+1:. But…

Eaglefire is now an M4A1 in 4.x confirmed? #speculationconspiracy??? :open_mouth:

1 Like

Eaglefire is now an M4A1 in 4.x confirmed? #speculationconspiracy???

okay well that’s a bit of a stretch

1 Like

It is! But if I say it before anyone else I can become the k00l kid. :smiling_imp:.

2 Likes

Rather than “5.56mm STANAG Magazine,” I think simply “STANAG Magazine” would work better. For russian guns using 7.62x39mm “Bakelite” magazines using “Bakelite Magazine” would be easier, and remove confusion between NATO 7.62 and Russian 7.62. This way, naming is more narrow than before, but is still broad enough to eliminate confusion between similar calibers.

Plus, think of the sheer amount of calibers out there. I think it’d get a bit tiring to see a bunch of calibers, especially for those that are used for only one or two weapons. Even if they were simplified heavily that could then cause balancing issues (7.62 being used in both ranger and military for example). I think going the 3.0 route, but with a few more guns that can use the same magazines (like perhaps in 2.0 with the outfield and mosen), with more realistic naming for the actual magazines.

5 Likes

I’m think barrel attachments are going to be based on caliber, too. I think the thing here is to just not add a ton of guns each with a unique caliber.

1 Like

I was one of his victims in calling the Viper the HK53. Good thing there are strong evidences that it is strictly based on the MP5.

He should still name them with unique custom names, it is a special feature in Unturned.

Real calibers will help us differentiate between the Avenger and the dragonfang

9mm
45ACP
357 Magnum
50 caliber

Because as mentioned, unique names are Unturned’s charm

I’d suggest using real calibers (5.56mm in this case) but maybe something like an alpha, beta etc designation for whatever differences there may be between magazines, based on their rarity and power.

Again, using real calibers is a bad idea as there are a lot of calibers that look very similar to one another. There are at least 3 different types of 7.62 used in the game currently (ammo used by the Sabertooth which uses 7.62 nato, Zube, if we’re calling it an AKM, which uses a different type of 7.62, and the Nykro, which uses a more powerful rimmed 7.62 round).

Perhaps calibers could be simplified into something like “Low Caliber Military Rifle Rounds” (which would refill military magazines), and say “Medium Caliber Military Rifle Rounds” would refill weapons that use 7.62 NATO like the Sabertooth.