Gun Silencer Idea

Yes

I fully 100% agree with Yarrrr

1 Like

instead of reducing damage we can perhaps reduce range

3 Likes

this could work too. maybe 33% less velocity?

1 Like

Less velocity does not always mean less range, though I do think that slower subsonic ammunition should be used with suppressors to maximize effectiness, using regular ammo should still make that supersonic crack and also possibility wear out the suppressor faster.

4 Likes

but for simplicity’s sake we will assume that all suppressors are the kind that reduce gas pressure and thus make rounds subsonic, so we get reduced range as an even penalty

@The_Futurist

I don’t think any suppresor works that way. And having them make all ammo subsonic seems kinda weird, imagine a 900 m/s bullet go down to subsonic speeds due to a muzzle attatchment so yeah let’s link that to the bullet used instead in my opinion. Weapon “range” is hard to define (unless the bullet literally disapears mid-air like in 3.0). You might link it to velocity, but bullet weight and aerodynamics would matter aswell. Optics play a role aswell in actually aiming the shot (duhh). Since that would affect how fast it slows down since drag exists.

Altough suppresors do make the weapon longer so depending on implemantation it may affect handling and the “shoving yo face up a wall and pointing the gun up” distance.

3 Likes

First of all, silencers (in real life) slightly increase the muzzle velocity of the gun, which means the bullets go further and do more damage to the target on impact.

Secondly, silencers do not silence gunshots completely, but only suppress them. When shooting at subsonic speeds, the sound is very quiet compared to shooting without a silencer. At supersonic speeds, the sound is quite a bit louder, but still much quieter than without a silencer. This means suppressed gunshots can actually still be harmful to the shooter’s hearing if shooting rapidly or with a “big” gun without ear protection. Thus the term “silencer” is misleading.

In addition, silencers decrease the muzzle flash or eliminate it completely and slightly reduce the weapon recoil.

In Unturned 3, silencers are extremely rare and break way too fast. They also increase bullet drop. Hence, they are very underused.

In my opinion it would be best if silencers in Unturned II were as follows:

• no negative effects
  • only suppress gunshots as much as in real life
  • same or lower rarity as in Unturned 3

This would make them realistic and actually useful. Then you would really want a silencer on your gun.

1 Like

There are suppressors designed to turn supersonic ammo into subsonic ones, these divert the gas and air from the bullet into cavities in the suppressor. These wouldn’t increase range obviously, despite the slight increase in range it wouldnt make a lot of difference cos of the subsonic velocities the bullet now attained.

2 Likes

Those are few and far between, notable ones I can think of that are of that type are the ones used in the prototype H&K SMG I and SMG II.

1 Like

yeah i was thinking of making all suppressors like that, instead of having a complex system to determine the kind of ammo and the suppressor on the gun, that way all the guns and suppressors have the same or similar effects. This would be an even and mild penalty to all suppressors.

Sounds possible, but do you have a source?

All silencers are made so that they let the gas that forms in the explosion into one or multiple expansion chambers inside them. This makes the gas go at a lower speed and make a quieter sound when it comes out. The bullet is not slowed down by this in most silencers but I don’t know, might be possible in some.

PS: Many older silencers do have this problem, but it’s not there on purpose.

Also, when makeshift silencers are added to the game, they should totally have negative effects like this, but I don’t think the top-quality military silencers should.

Now what you said here is what i meant, if a bullet is supersonic it WILL make a bang as it does a sonic boom. However if it is made subsonic as you described it WILL experience a drop in range. Unless the standard type of the cartridge is subsonic it WILL lose range eg: .45 acp in standard loading is subsonic so there are no effects on it range.
This system was seen in the HK SMG2 and HK SMG1

Lmao have any of you actually heard a suppressor in real life? its not some magical attachment that cancels noice. And also like someone said, Silencers add to Velocity and Accuracy irl. Maybe you can get subsonic ammo (weaker but more quite) and you can combine both your suppressor and your sub ammo. The Damage nerf would be a very bad idea, imo they should just be rare and have low durability and can completly break after a short bit

1 Like

Actually, here’s an idea, to make certain excursions in a total vacuum, for example an infested space station. This would not only discourage players from staying too long as oxygen supplies wpuld be limited, but gunshots will also completely silent and players will have to rely completely on sight.

The idea is to not have subsonic rounds instead to have rounds that are made to be subsonic thanks to the supressor, suppressed supersonic rounds arent very effective so instead of adding a new ammo subtype, we can have suppressors that make rounds subsonic.
The penalty will be a reduction in range not damage.

1 Like

Supressors dont make the round subsonic. Thats why the shots are still loud since the suppressor just reduces the pressure before the gas escapes from the barrel to the open air, suppressors reduce the report of the firearm. Super Sonic Ammo still cracks when it breaks the sound barrier, thats why if you wanted to be very silent you would combine the suppressor with subsonic ammo however subsonic ammo is pretty weak compared to super sonic. I think adding this ammo type would add some more variety also.

1 Like

There are certain suppressors that reduce noise by making rounds subsonic.

1 Like

A slight range penalty in my opinion would be fun because it would force sneaky boys to be closer rather than super far out. “Hes dead? I didnt hear anything!” “He must be nearby” those types of scenarios where you are metal geat solid in a neighborhood would be epic, for pvp and pve

1 Like

1: no, god no
2: this is when making something realistic actually helps balance
3: remember that you need subsonic and suppressor of high quality.
In real life, suppressors will not reduce sound levels to Hollywood. Instead, you just won’t get hearing damage. Subsonic reduce this further, but you’re not going to be that quiet.
Also, guns overheat and can actually catastrophically fail with suppressors during extended firing.
As such, I propose:

A basic oil filter suppressor would break quick, reduce sound to an extent, and reduce directional hitmarkers.
A higher quality off the shelf suppressor would remove directional hitmarkers and last longer.
Even higher quality premium suppressors by high performance companies would last longer and cause less overheat penalty. They’d also be quieter.
And so on.

1 Like

can I make a hot take here for a second?

I genuinely think there’s no reason to nerf literally everything in the name of balance, a fully kitted gun that you spent a few hours looting for, of course, should perform objectively better than a gun you just found. of course better hardware means better performance, there’s no reason to nerf anything

3 Likes